Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

If nothing else today, be grateful for the positives, wherever you find them...

Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And they will grow!

Happy Thanksgiving. I am Grateful for everyone here!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I can't believe how alone I felt for years. Hearing your stories od sadness, pain, anxiety, fear, struggle, joy, hope, recovery, truimph, second chances, and self-empowerment have been great sources of strength & support. Thank you, SRF.

And to the A's & those of us family & friends who care so deeply about them, thank you all for the courage to change.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And to those who still can't get to that place to make a change onto the path of recovery (both A's & the friends & family who love them) I will hold you all dear in my heart and work on myself to have patience, kindness & compassion for your struggle. Thank you for your gifts.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was thinking last night, as I watched my A make an apple pie and a blueberry cheesecake(with chocolate shell), that I can get so myopic in my view of things. I can look for any crack in the veneer...I will be looking at the negatives with a magnifying glass, unable to see the more positive stuff.
He made the pies, apron and all, then he went to a meeting. When he came home, he asked me to sit down with him and help him compile a list. The list was titled, "Things I do"
His list was as follows:
Be a sober person
Be a happy sober person
Wake up at a decent hour
Spend more time with our son
Do sports stuff
Communicate clearly

We laughed, and I made a list.
It was like a dream I thought. I used to imagine us being like this, thinking it was never possible.
This morning our son woke up tooooo early, came in the room, and A just laid there, then got up and went to another room. I was so mad! How could he assume that it would just be me who wakes up, gets him breakfast, sees to him??
I laid back down and stewed. Then I went in and said, " I do not want there to be an assumption that I will just do the things that you dont want to do. I am not a nanny."

he rolled over, smiled at me, and said,
"I am getting there. I am closer than ever. I think you are focusing on the negatives..."

I could not help but smile. He was right. I conceded, but then told him, nonetheless, it is an issue. I know he is working toward things.

I want to remember to focus on those things that I want to expand. It is a good day for that.

Love to everyone.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread, Buffalo. As I watch my 4-year-old sleeping beside me, so peacefully, I can't help but to be grateful that we are no longer part of a home rampaged by addiction & insanity.

Last edited by yorkiegirl; 11-25-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that story, Buffalo. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

yorkie I am also grateful when I get to sleep 10 hours straight and I wake up to a sunny morning... very very quiet. Oh wait. I hear a bird chirping....

No more: insults, lies, constant interruptions throughout the night, etc etc.
Very very thankful now if only my cats were already here..
Old 11-25-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, Buffalo. Hope things with your AH continue to improve and he stays on the path of sobriety. Best wishes to him and your family. I do believe that having two sober,happy, loving parents is the best possible situation for the kids, if this is at all possible. Hope thats what your son gets and you get a happy, sober, supportive, loving spouse. Your AH does sound like he is making the effort.

I have also realised for myself, that it is better for the kids to have one sober, happy parent rather than a miserable codie and an AF. I am grateful for the peaceful and clean home that I currently have for my kids and I. I am also grateful for my new job and my family that supports me.

Wishing everyone a wonderful thanksgiving.