Notices

Gratitude

Old 11-25-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Gratitude

When I went to AA years ago, I noticed they talked a lot about gratitude. This morning (Thanksgiving) a friend had posted this on Facebook:

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into
enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order,
confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into
success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into
important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.”

I don't know who wrote it, but I thought it was a great way to begin the day and wanted to share it with you! Coincidentally, when I was having r-e-a-l-l-y bad days and urges to drink in early sobriety, finding something to be grateful for turned my head around like nothing else did.

This morning I'm grateful for all of you and for our collective sober time!! Go team!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am successfully using gratitude and kindness to others to fill the hole left by drinking. so far it's generating a lot of positive energy and working well to keep me from even wanting to drink.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

I love the quote. I sometimes remember to focus on gratitude; it does change my frame of mind. I'm amazed at how easy it is.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Grateful for you Artsoul and THAT post!! I've copied it. I agree with the gratitude prescription to sobriety. Talk with Rusty Zipper. He's constantly preaching the benefits of being grateful. He also says, "A grateful drunk will not drink." Definitely agree with that sentiment. If you are grateful for what you have and where you are then there is no reason to punish yourself. Resentment and self pity equals self inflicted punishment in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.