Codies and stray cats

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codies and stray cats

Is there something in the nature of codies that makes us more susceptible to abandoned animals.
I seem to collect lost and abandoned animals along with As.My first real boyfriend at 17 was aleady alcoholic ,he died of liver disease at 39 many years after we split up although we had remained friends .My best female friend another A died of a stroke.I had a couple more good friends die due to alcohol ,one a suicide ,one a perforated ulcer.My husband of 20 years was an alcoholic when we met and I'm nearly sure part of the attraction was how needed he made me feel.
Yesterday I took in a stray cat off the street despite having two cats and a dog already and payed out £120 for shots FIV check etc.It occurred to me that I have rescued at least a dozen animals over the years all thankfully had happier outcomes than the As.I think there must be a connection.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Guilty as charged! All of my cats came as strays. Most of my dogs have been rescues too.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been saving strays my whole life and also volunteer at a cat shelter.
I think we're just sensitive to the lost and weak.
Cats we CAN save, addicts, we can't!
And I've not been a codie my whole life, but have saved cats since I was a teen.

Botton line, we are just good peeps! The end!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Most of my life has been spent in the company of animals.

The only reason I'm not surrounded by them now
is because of my financial situation
and that I'm in an apartment building
that really isn't good for an animal
other than a fish maybe.

I see this is your first post -
can I take a moment and WELCOME you to SR!

What a great first post - I'm curious how everyone will answer.

I have always preferred the company of animals
to that of people.
It was one reason I had doubt that I may be codependent
because I've never really thought of myself
as a 'people' person.
Pople ...
were a necessary evil
in order to work with animals.

Again -
welcome !
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Speaking of Stray Cats

A dear friend sent me this ........................ make sure you have recently taken a bathroom break!

"Rules For Stray Cats"

Stray cats will not be fed.
Stray cats will not be fed anything except dry cat
food moistened with a little milk.
Stray cats will not be fed anything except dry cat
food moistened with warm milk, yummy treats
and leftover fish scraps.
Stray cats will not be petted, played with or picked
up and cuddled unnecessarily.
Stray cats that are petted, played with, picked up
and cuddled will absolutely not be given a name.
Stray cats with or without a name will not be
allowed inside the house at any time.
Stray cats allowed inside will not be permitted to
jump up on or sharpen their claws on the furniture
Stray cats will be permitted on furniture but must
sharpen claws on new $114.99 sisal rope scratching
post with three perches.
Stray cats will sleep outside.
Stray cats will sleep in the garage.
Stray cats will sleep in the house, but not in our bed.
Stray cats will sleep in our bed, but not under the covers.
Stray cats will not play on the desk.
Stray cats will not play on the desk near the computer.
Stray cats are forbidden to walk on the computer
keyboard on the desk when the human is using it.
Stray cats will not CJDJBEFUBEDBVKJB KNCX ZXMNLJN!

And yes it is so true, ROFLMAO

Love and hugs,
Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had at least one cat my entire life. From as little as I can remember. I've had dogs here and there. I like dogs OK but cats are where it is at. If I wasn't over extended already I'd have 4 more I just have one right now.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Laurie That is the funniest thing ever! I'm sharing that with my aunt tomorrow because that is *exactly* what has happened and she can't understand why she has this cat now She wants to bring her here and I might not be able to say no either!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I have always had manx.
After you've had a manx ...
everything else is just a cat.

LOL
Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Roisin, I think you are probably right! to SR.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

I was a dog guy all my life, the first cat I ever got was around 15 or so years ago. Got him for my dog, she was lonely and I didn't want 2 dogs....I was way too lazy for all that responsibility.

We all moved up here, she (the dog) died at 16yo, he hauled azz and disappeared for around 3 months, the second day in our new town. Came home Christmas day that year. He was an all black tomcat, just like the 20 pounder on my lap right now.

He died from an infection he got in a cat fight, because I refused to "fix" him. Thought I was doing him a favor. My bad.

This cat came from a shelter here in town 10 years ago. He was a normal sized grown, young cat according to the shelter workers. Apparently, he was around 6 mths old, since he roughly doubled in size.

He has converted me to a cat guy. Sleeps with me every night for the last 10 years. Doesn't just "lay down" next to me, he "jams" himself against me. He minds me, he often even talks back to me. I love him. At least as much as my old dog, who's resting comfortably in an urn on the book shelf.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

Oh, welcome to SR Rosin.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not particularly a codie-- didn't learn that growing up-- but I am a certified cat lady, and a stray cat is currently moving into my house of his own volition (I have 3 already, and for me, that's a very small number of felines to own). I guess the stray is mine now. He has a name, I feed him regularly, and he sleeps in the basement-- he won't let me pet him but he comes into the house when the door is open, prances around, and makes my older male cat angry.

My ex bf asked me why I feed the stray cat.

I said, if I don't feed him, he'll starve.

He said, what if a person showed up homeless on your front doorstep? Would you feed them indefinitely?

I said, No. People can basically take care of themselves, stray domestic animals basically can't.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol, love the "Rule", so true! Our stray now has a name, a collar with tag, her own bowl and a place at the bottom of my daughters bed...under the covers! She started off with being fed once a day outside too.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love this thread- cause I love cats!
I can't count the cats I have had over the years.
i wasn't allowed to have a cat growing up. so maybe that is why i
have so many now.
my mom claimed to hate cats, but when we all moved out, she got
the meanest Siamese i ever saw.
now that i understand them, i think she was just "spirited"-ha!

one of my cats fetches milk rings when i throw them.

I have a maine coon cat, a black cat, and an amazon girl kitty, who
i think is partly human (i would not want her to hear me say that,tho)
she taps me on the shoulder at 4am, for her fancy feast. she wont take no for
an answer *sigh*
animals are the best people ever.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a degree in Veterinary Technology and when I went to school we had stray/rescue animals we cared for in the clinic. Every time there was a cat or dog someone else didn't want to take home I had to really force myself to walk away and it was really hard. I thought about working in a shelter, but no way that would end well. I ended up with one stray cat from the school. I also inherited a dog that was abused and growls at everything and a deaf dog. Thankfully, someone with more time and energy took the deaf dog because I had my hands full and he is doing well. I think it is a combination of poor boundary setting combined with a tender heart, but that's just me.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roisin View Post
My husband of 20 years was an alcoholic when we met and I'm nearly sure part of the attraction was how needed he made me feel.
good awareness, roisin!

me, too. probably each and every one of us here on friends & family.

and let me officially welcome you to the sober recovery forum.

great site. wonderful people, helpful replies. for all of us
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL that's so true about the cats.. lately my cat Dolce plays tennis with my rubber bands.. she is very good at it. Gabanna LOVES to hide undercover.. I move the blankets around and run into her tail or something, lol. She likes cooked fish, chicken wings, wet whiskas of all sorts and prefers Diamond dry food as a last resort. Dolce likes Diamond.

Their food costs more than mine....
Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow. I find that I'm kind of still resisting the thought of being codependent and this is the thread that is bringing that to light.... So much work to do....

We actually took in a stray by accident once. At the time we had a black cat. One day we saw "her" sitting out on our back deck and tried to figure out how she'd gotten out, so we opened the door and let "her" in. This black cat walked in and sat down, right next to our cat, and refused to leave, so we let him stay "while we found his owners." Since no one claimed him, he stayed "for just a few more days." Not wanting to get attached, we simply called him "Two." He stayed and became part of the family and the name stuck. In the first few weeks that we had him, he grew a lot and there was soon no way to confuse him with our dainty little gal.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

As a code I can relate. I think it has to do with the fact that we want constant companionship. Animals especially are needy and dependant of us. I've always had animals, dogs and cats mainly. And I've taken in stray cats before. So I can see the correlation.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

my goodness...I"m the quintessential crazy cat lady! I can't walk away from a needy animal. I collected cats for many years and am down to 2 right now, they are old strays that were on the verge of death and found me, the lady with the kitty radar. No way i could pretend they didn't exist. Mikey and Mr. Thomas are both getting on in years and I'll always have a cat or two or three....depending on what my living situation is. I think it is about loyal companions and the need to nurture, love and be loved. feline friends are my favs...humans are just a necessary evil, I'm afraid, and i am find without them for very long periods. Albert Schweitzer adored cats too....wonder what his story was? some great geniuses had great respect and admiration of cats...and rightfully so!! I've never met a cat i didn't adore. Feral cats are my weakness and I have saved, and trapped, fixed and payed for the medical care for many.....not to mention socialized and found homes for quite a few too!! see? don't get me started.....hahaha. i see i'm in good company.