Notices

For my health and hobbies.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For my health and hobbies.

Where do I start, I'm twenty-three and I've been drinking rather heavily since my twenty-first birthday. It's a constant battle because I really want to stop drinking, but in my mind I start to get cravings, and I'll just say "I'll do it tomorrow."

Sorry if I'm a little irrational right now, I'm sort of hungover at the moment... I've sort of come to the conclusion that I can't do this alone. I'm a binge drinker, I don't drink every day but when I do it's not uncommon to put down eight beers minimum up to maybe sixteen in a day. As of late I've started to realize that if I keep this up I'm either going to live a long miserable life, or my life's going to be cut short and neither of those options are too appealing.

I've tried to control my drinking, well thinking I could. In turn I'de end up getting loaded again somehow.

So I'm here to read, and remind myself of what my goal really is.

What are some of the things/hobbies you do or did to keep your mind off of drinking? I keep telling myself that I need to find something in life that I'm very passionate about, something to keep my days fulfilled.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Have you spoken to a doctor? Gone to an AA meeting to see what that is about? Talked to a counselor? Visited any places that offer detox and rehab programs to see what they are about?

That should give you a start if you really want to be sober. I did all of those and have two months and a few days.

Before that I wouldn't make it sober ten minutes in the morning, and at 8AM got my first buzz of the day with scotch added to my coffee. I was moderately successful a few times, and was actually proud of myself when I said, "Today is the day!" and would not have scotch in my first coffee, but ten minutes later rationalized scotch in my second cup. I thought OK eventually I'll be back to not before 5 PM, and then taper off. Never made it past that second cup.

We all know that feeling.

AA meetings take an hour a day.

I also am passionate about ski'ing downhill which drinking took away because of the money spent on alcohol. Travel too and since I got sober jave done alot more of that. I stopped playing guitar while drinking as I even knew I was sloppy. Picking it back up now after ten years. Also we Scuba, and can do that again. Just being able, at anytime f day or night to take a drive with no fear of police or hurting myself or another has been a freedom in and of itself. Reading and writing. Biking and riding my motorcycle (safely I might add). Doing work on my property. Working on computers and playing with my home network and Hometheater system. Taking my pups for a walk, or better stated letting them take me outdoors for I would surely stay inside if not for them.

Volunteering at a homeless shelter to help prepare and serve thanksgiving meals and Christmas meals. Taking a vacation for a day and take a family member fishing. Hiking trails. Visiting museums. Hunting. Skating. Paintball. Building buildings with habitat for humanity. Designing websites. Running a marathon. Doing Triathalons. Learn to play an instrument.

Fix something that broke. (You can't broke it any more right?)

Need I go on?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi heretoday

Welcome

I often see people come in here looking for things to do or hobbies - keeping occupied and productive is great - and if thats all you need that's great too, but it took a little more than that for me.

I couldn't keep myself occupied every minute of the day and that's where I used to fall down. I always came back to me - me and what was wrong with me. I needed to work on the void inside me - the one I tried to fill with booze and drugs.

Itchy has some great suggestions - particularly the seeing the Dr, the counselling or a recovery group like AA or SMART.

Volunteering is also a great way to gain some wider perspective in all of this - it's been a real eye opener to me to see just how much more I could have been doing with my life.

D
Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too had to fill the 'void' that alcohol had carved into my being. At first I just stayed sober by being stubborn and refusing to cave in to the drink, but after a while that got tiring, like holding up a big wall all by myself. So I decided to be grateful for my blessings and practice kindness to others. I had to force myself to be grateful at first but it soon came to be a habit, a natural thing, like breathing. And the more I express my gratitude, the more I find to be grateful for.

I try to do at least one kind thing for others every day, even something little like letting a car into traffic. Complimenting a clerk in a store. Anything that's being kind to others. And that too has become a habit.

Now kindness and gratitude have filled the hole in my soul that alcohol used to fill. And my life has become better than I'd ever thought possible. I had the help of AA in the beginning too, and still attend my home group sometimes, as well as my wonderful (weekly sessions with my) counselor, and last but not least - the caring supportive people here all hours of the day and night.

That's what I did and now am coming up on a year happily sober. And if an ol' chronic relapser like me can do it, so can you!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Believe it or not I no longer have to keep my mind off drinking. It just no longer goes there anymore. Like most other people I could not do it on my own. When I asked for help AA was there and I have been sober since. Now that I am sober I enjoy my hobbies once again. I think it is fantastic that you realize you have a problem at such a young age. I was too stubborn to admit that I had a problem for years and it cost me dearly.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.