update: afraid but blessed

Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update: afraid but blessed

it always feels so good when i come back to s/r.
sometimes i get pretty emotional reliving a memory, like even when i read "friends and family of substance abusers" it's like a trigger to me.
i can get sent straight back to the awful-ness of the old days, just one and a half years ago. it still shakes me.

i have been seeing a kind, hippie kind of guy for five months. i could tell three dozen little stories -- from him getting a soapy towel and dabbing a grease drip off my skirt at an outdoor concert, to him getting up early (i rise at 5:00 a.m.) to warm up my car and have a morning chat before work -- about the gentle, loving things he does.

he plays guitar quite well. i am not a great singer, but i love to sing. couple weeks ago, i had my first little dinner party in about three years at my new place. after dinner, i asked him to get out his guitar and i sat in the chair next to him, he said, "ready?" and i sang the song we had thus far worked up: "angel from montgomery". my sister, sitting across from us on the floor, wiped tears away afterwards. i went to her, said, "julie, what's wrong?" and she said, "i didn't know you could sing like that. it's so cool, it's so beautiful."

i think what she was really reacting to, was the intimacy, the sort of give-and-take, the shared passion and bond. and you know what? it WAS beautiful. i love sitting next to him, looking right at one another, and singing like that.

i am still afraid. i trust him to a pretty high degree. but.....
well, i get the "but what if's" quite a lot, like all the time. what if he's really a fraud? yeah, i know he likes having me around, he is happy to have a girlfriend, and we've had some pretty great (my perspective anyway) connections. but i fret about if his feelings are real. that's what i'm hung up on right now. how do you say "you have only said the three words two or three times - was it a fleeting feeling?" or, "i don't think i've seen the sparkle in your eyes i think a man in love is supposed to have" or just, "is it Real?" i know there's nothing i can do about all that, and -- once again -- time will tell. but it's where i live a pretty good amount these days.

still scared.
so blessed.

thanks for letting me share.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FGB

Coffeedrinker,
I'm not wise in these areas. My 2nd husband was a narcissist, and I'm very gun shy myself, but I heard you say it's been five months. I was just going to say it's okay to give it more time, but then I realized that you're falling in love with him, right? Or have you already fallen in love?

Some things we don't know: have you met his family? (Oh wait, I loved my x's family, they had no idea what an awful person he was.) The same can be said for his friends.

How does he treat you when no one else is around? Have you seen him when he is really angry over something? How does he treat children? How does he treat animals? Does he have a general respect for the law? Does he scoff at anyone behind their backs? Does he accept responsibility for himself?

There's a million ?'s you can ask yourself. I didn't. I ignored red flags, and I paid for it the minute we moved out of stateand for the next 4 years before I ran away with a weeks worth of clothes and my 2 kitties.

I don't know how to answer your question, other than there are no guarantees in this world. All I can do is wish you the best of luck, and tell you to listen to your gut, it never lies, you just need to listen. I often wonder if I met someone if I'd ever be comfortable making a commitment again, legally, emotionally, financially, etc. Maybe just enjoy it for a while longer and see what happens? Wish I had answers, I'm probably a bad one to ask!! Hugs, FGB
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Thats great coffeedrinker. Sounds like some happiness has come your way. Look at it this way~~~enjoy each day and dance (or sing)) and be thankful. Life can be good. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

how do you say "you have only said the three words two or three times - was it a fleeting feeling?" or, "i don't think i've seen the sparkle in your eyes i think a man in love is supposed to have" or just, "is it Real?" i know there's nothing i can do about all that, and -- once again -- time will tell. but it's where i live a pretty good amount these days.
I have been married to Mr. Ann for 41 years, Coffeedrinker, and in those years he has probably "said" those 3 little words about 20 times. He's a good man, loving husband and good provider, but it used to bother me that he didn't "say" those words.

Then I gave it some thought. He says it every day...in the way he treats me, in the thoughtful things he does, in the way he speaks of me to others, in the way he cares about how I feel and what I want out of life...he says it a thousand times a day...just not in words.

My point is, everyone has a different way of expressing their feelings. Some talk openly about them, some show them in their actions, some keep emotions tucked close to their chest.

I don't know if guitarman loves you, sure sounds that way from where I sit. And I know that love can be fleeting, and doesn't always last forever, but it can still be real.

What I do know is that life is short, each day needs to be embraced and lived to its fullest. You sound happy with this man, you also have wounds to heal and fear from the past to work through.

My thoughts are to grasp the moment, enjoy what is, and let what may be unfold as it may. You aren't the person you used to be and you are stronger and wiser today. Let that wisdom guide you and I am guessing that however this unfolds, you will be just fine.

Hugs
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trust your instincts..lol and don't ignore the red flags!!! I personally have written a list of deal breakers, some of which FGB mentioned above. Enjoy the relationship and know that if anything comes up you will be more able to recognize it and deal with it accordingly. That which hasn't killed us makes us stronger.....right?!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FGB

Aw, you guys always say what I'm trying to say, only so much better!! I'm still learning!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
My thoughts are to grasp the moment, enjoy what is, and let what may be unfold as it may. You aren't the person you used to be and you are stronger and wiser today. Let that wisdom guide you and I am guessing that however this unfolds, you will be just fine.
I think these are very wise words.

Things didn't work out with either of the two guys I dated, but that's okay.

I got my feet in the water.

:ghug3
Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Enjoy it for what it is, learn the lessons along the way.
Red flags are NOT to be collected as party favors.

That's what I've learned so far. Guitarman sounds like a good guy. If he's not "the one" this relationship has certainly got some good things to teach you about life and love along the way.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

warming your car up?5 am? pretty sweet....
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aw, SR Peeps!

Oh, I know, you guys!

It's just like what Callie said a couple of months ago: you want relationship insurance, and it just doesn't exist.

I know this isn't the forum for these questions, I just wish I knew what the litmus test is. If the eyes don't sparkle, then what does show? And he is gun shy too, we both acknowledge this. But I hold back because I was lied to by someone I trusted with my life. And he doesn't because he knows that (to quote him) "it's a high ante game". Sure is.

Ann, you answered beautifully.

A few days ago, I was sharing something that made me feel very vulnerable. Tears came. I said, "You know, a couple of months ago, I was like I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was just waiting for you to stop being nice to me. That's what happens to me." He put his arms around me and said, "That will never happen."

I believe him.

Thanks, as always, gang. I'm so glad I posted, and you came with your great responses.:day6
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like, despite any little insecurities you may be feeling, you are in a good place right now. Congrats to you and keep on keeping on. You'll know the answers sooner or later. Till then enjoy your life! You deserve it! Can't wait to be there someday...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is when I think of the PTSD... and it's when we reach into our tool bag right away. It's like carrying over one relationship into the next. Don't think about what he is thinking - think about yourself.

Enjoy these moments one day at a time. The "what if's" are what make our minds go crazy. There is an infinity of "what ifs" ... hypotheticals. What your gut might be telling you is to stay in the present and keep doing things for you.

A good friend's response to me when I said... "I wonder - what must he think?"... and she said..."Foggetabout what he thinks!... What are you thinking?"

Stay in your box... pay attention to your sensations.

I can relate... because I grew used to pretty much doing the uncertainty of the future in the negative light .... but not knowing - or having uncertainty in a good way - because there is no drama in the present - can be frightening, too.

This is what real relationships are made of... loving yourself first.

xo
Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tam

coffeedriker, I dont have any advice but happy to read that your enjoying life again congrats on your recovery!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's just like what Callie said a couple of months ago: you want relationship insurance, and it just doesn't exist.

I was just thinking of that same statement and how it applies to this post as well. Enjoy your happiness Coffee. My xah could say ILY until the cows came home. In the end it was his ACTIONS that drove my feelings, not his words.

Ann - I like that you have a Mr. Ann very cool.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepinon View Post
warming your car up?5 am? pretty sweet....
truly. one morning i got up and started the car. he scolded me, said "that's my job". i said i didn't want him to have to get up and he said, "the getting up with you, starting the car and seeing you off so early, makes it a shared endeavor".

there are so many traits like that one; i really am in a good place right now, aren't i? i borrow trouble. the thing i am working on most right now, is to stay here, and live in the present. i'm not sure i know how.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Coffeedrinker))

Congratulations on taking the risk to be happy again, to live this amazing beautiful life and as far as the "what if's"

I too wondered about those when "Mr. PinkAcres" came along? after all it's been 2 yrs tomorrow since I slept on that cold floor in the rent house when I left my ex ~ look where I am today,
but I wondered oh my what if, what about, this could happen and then I remembered the path I had already walked, what ME & MY God had already been thru, and although I really don't want to experience that kind of pain again ~ I MADE IT THRU IT and my friend so would you.

Worse case scenario - if things don't work out ~ you already have the strength, courage, wisdom and grace to take care of you and get out way before things get out of hand like they have in our previous relationships!!

YOU know how to take care of you!!

NO matter what you & your HP are going to be OK!!!

So take a deep breath, take your recovery tools with you & ENJOY this beautiful life - ONE DAY AT A TIME!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Like Mr. Ann, Mr Live doesn't say all those romantic things...but he does them every day and he is so daggoned thoughtful of me.
It bugged me for a little bit and then I remembered I have had guys who could talk the stars out of the sky but talk can be very cheap.
He loves me all over the place every day...just like when it was the flip side, I need to learn to hear the actions to know what is real.
and in the long ride which feels better the words or the actions?
and when Mr Live does say something romantic it usually isn't those 3 words, it is more creative.
I love him.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You seem to be happy,and as everyone said there are no guarantees just take care of you and dont ignore the red flags.i wish you all the happiness.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is real. Enjoy it. If you overthink, you risk sabotaging this. Let it unfold and all will be revealed

For me a good indicator (not always accurate but can reveal lots) of how a person loves and their capacity is how they treat others close to them, friends, family, esp for men, their moms and sisters. If I see patterns of unhealthy relationship behaviors then that is the red flag (how they handled past relationships, does he speak badly about ex's). Beyond that you need to just let it be what it is going to be.

People express love in very different ways. Some can say it verbally others can't. If you feel loved then you very much ARE loved I am like you, if something is going well I almost feel like I don't deserve it. That is where you need to do your own internal work. My thinking is this has less to do with him expressing love than with you being open to recieving it.

If it took him a while to say 'I love you' and he uses it sparingly then he probably means it. He probably has to be sure that if he says it, you will give it back. I think women sometimes give guys the short end of the stick. Men can be just as vulnerable, even more so. Remember that the other person comes into the relationship with their own insecurities and doubts.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
work in progress

Coffee... I haven't been here in awhile, gave me a BIG SMILE to read this.

I'm so happy for you Lady.
Enjoy every minute...even the scary ones.