Trusting our First Gut Instinct

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trusting our First Gut Instinct

I have really begun to realize the importance of trusting our instincts. I have always been told that I have issues with trust and insecurity as if this is a problem that came out of no where. I now realize that this is because I continuously ignored my feelings of "something is just not right" from the very beginning!!!!!!!!! I believe that God speaks to us through our instincts giving us all the information we need to make good decisions, but we ignore them!!! We end up devastated and damaged because of this!!! I will no longer doubt myself! If it smells like Sh*! then it is sh*! Anxiety, insecurity...are all ways God tries to speak to us! We need to listen to ourselves more and we will avoid so much unnecessary pain and drama!!!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more stace.

I have found that almost every time I go against my gut I should have gone with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Our brains register tons of information when people communicate with us, it goes way beyond just the words that are spoken.

Point is that the so called "gut instinct" is actually your *brain* warning you that there is a disconnect between the verbal language and the body language cues. Your brain recognizes lies, half truths or exaggerations that the "heart" may not be willing to acknowledge. That funny feeling in your gut is a direct response to your brain's message that there is a threat to safety present. It's actually an evolutionary relic that helped our ancestors survive.

Trust your brain, not your heart.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the Gift of Fear was really popular about 10 years ago..Oprah did some shows with the author...the one thing that really stuck out to me was to beware of people who don't listen to your "NO". They are dangerous.I really think that relates to our recovery alot.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there was a pivitol point when i first started dating my alo. something big registered on the radar. something inside said- go, run, don't call again, mayday. too late though, the heart was already captive.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally agree. . .there were soooo many signs that I ignored in the beginning and later i realized man I shoulda trusted my gut but like Steve said at that point the heart was already captive.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally agree. when our minds are given the wrong input it creates the wrong output leading us to make the wrong decisions and choices but our instincts are true.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-we-think.html

It's about the enteric nervous system aka our gut instincts.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
I have found that almost every time I go against my gut I should have gone with it.
ditto
Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have learned that my gut instinct is always right. What I have not learned is the courage to take appropriate action.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wilbucky13,

Yes your are right!!! It is the inability to act...unwillingness...is probably more accurate! Why is this!!!!!! Fear of confrontation? Fear of giving up something (some one) that we want? Fear of being alone and having to start over? I dont know....but I an grateful for being where I am right now and although I needed my HP to step in and take action, I have learned from this and will no longer be afraid of these things!!!!