So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

I'm going to my girlfriend's house. She and her boyfriend always spend it alone. I plan on making my mom's lime punch and playing some board games or something.

My ex actually invited me to come with him - I said no thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We've got a pretty small family and no one has cooked in years. My youngest daughter and I get together with my parents in a nearby city. There's a restaurant that serves a wonderful Thanksgiving all-you-can-eat buffet. Then we're all off to see a movie together.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

As opposed to hanging out with my alcoholic family I'm going to spend at my local Alano Club.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The 3 F's: Football, Food and Family. I'm gonna hit some AA meetings too!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Having my mom and her live in over for dinner. No turkey, simple dinner and some RR.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just the girls and me. I love it that way sometimes. Closest family is 7 hours away (at least the ones in the "we'd like to be with you on Thanksgiving" category.) Our close friends we normally spend the day with are out of town.

Baking on Wednesday, cooking and eating on Thursday, early shopping on Black Friday, Christmas tree goes up on Saturday. Drama free and happy holidays...love them.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. We've already done the turkey and trimmings....

I'll be working on Thursday - wishing I was American! I'll be working on Friday - wishing I was shopping on Black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To my aunts house. She's a life saver but going to her house for a holiday is kind of like taking a trip to dysfunction junction, haha.

I will also get to see my dad as they live in the same town.

I think she is going to keep my twins for two extra days and then bring them home so that will be a nice break for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My kids and I are going to my aunt's house(my dad is coming there from out of town too). AH will be at work.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

LMC (Little Miss Coyote), my 9yo daughter, has W-Th-Fr off school, and I still have every day off. Ha!

Our adopted sister/auntie is cooking dinner at her house, but she's out of town till Saturday, so TG will be Sunday this year. Better late than never.

So we'll mess around and see some movies and stuff. Thursday just the two of us will probably go to Luby's cafeteria, they have a pretty good turkey dinner, so we will get TWO turkey dayz. It is my favorite holiday meal ever, so twice is O.K. with me.

We strung Christmas lights around the INSIDE of LMC's bedroom window around this time 3 years ago and liked them so much we just left them up, kind of like a blinking night light for her....I know, it'd drive me nuts, but she loved it. They FINALLY burned out a month or so ago, so we'll replace them next weekend.

This will be our 4th alcohol free holiday season, much better now. Rather than the "no holds barred drunkfests" of years gone by. My stress level used to start gradually rising around September in preparation of all the drunken nonsense between Thanksgiving and New Years.

My axw used to love to say I'd ruined every holiday for 13 years, and she was right! I was so revved up on stress, by the time the drinking started, it was awful. I'm sure it took years off my life.

That was no way to live. I'm very grateful to be free of it all.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, it's just the two of us and I think we are going to be thankful for moving to our new home here in Tennesse and I reckon I will just pick up some pine cones to decorate with and try to get the house in order as my celebration of Thanks.
I haven't gotten it presentable yet.

I will do the holiday meal for Christmas.

I really don't know. Thanksgiving marks the anniversary of my son's death so this has always been an extremely difficult holiday for me but I seem to be doing just really calmly this year..but I haven't wanted to make any plans.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'll be wishing you all a great Thanksgiving!...(we don't have it here)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is the first year that I'm not spending it with my family. To have made that choice feels wonderful, very freeing! I'm going to be volunteering with my kiddos in the morning and then having a meal with some neighbors. Wow...and to think I've had choices all these years, even when I thought I didn't. To realize that is like getting the best present EVER.

With much gratitude to my SR family on Thanksgiving and always~
posie
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TeM

For the past ten years, we have spent Thanksgiving at my Mother-In-Law's Sister's house; they have a large family and everybody brings something.

This year, however, we can't make it because AW got drunk and broke her ankle. I refuse to wrestle her in and out of somebody else's house in a wheelchair (no ramp). Her mother and sister, who do not know about her drinking, are a little miffed at me... but they'll get over it.

So, for the first time ever, we're having Thanksgiving at home with Daughter and her boyfriend. It may turn out to be kind of nice. I've already bought a small Turkey breast and a small ham, and we'll be patching together our own version of a Thanksgiving Day meal with green bean casserole, au gratin potatoes and Mexican cornbread. Oh, and my daughter requested deviled eggs.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

started out just the two of us and now there is 10 people coming to our house! i love cooking thanksgiving dinner..... the smell in the house reminds of me of days gone by when my grandparents were alive and the house was loud and crazy and happy. at least i can say, i had a wonderful childhood. (oh where did i go wrong!!)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeM View Post
Oh, and my daughter requested deviled eggs.
gotta have them deviled eggs!! i'm making them too!!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
We strung Christmas lights around the INSIDE of LMC's bedroom window around this time 3 years ago and liked them so much we just left them up, kind of like a blinking night light for her....I know, it'd drive me nuts, but she loved it. They FINALLY burned out a month or so ago, so we'll replace them next weekend.
You tell LMC she has good taste in decorating! I strung lights up in my computer room when I first started college (non-blinking though) and now I need to buy a new string myself! There's something magical and soothing in those lights!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've already given my thanks abd had my turkey, seeing that Canadian Thanksgiving is way early (maybe because we're supposed to be so darn polite and in a hurry to be nice?).

Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating this week
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
You tell LMC she has good taste in decorating! I strung lights up in my computer room when I first started college (non-blinking though) and now I need to buy a new string myself! There's something magical and soothing in those lights!
I totally agree, I loved hers so much, I bought an all blue set of "icicle" lights and strung them around the living room (my bedroom!) for late night T.V. watching, very nice peaceful glow to the room.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mom's house... always Mom's house...

...I don't know what we'll do if that's ever not the case.

And it should be a good one. It'll be the first one in years where both alcoholics in our extended family are sober and actively working a recovery program (at least today they are-- one day at a time).

It's also good because the best cooks in our family are the alcoholics (my wife and my step father). With them sober the promise of incredible food is considerable!!!

Just to be safe I'm still going to bring some pies from Costco. Those pies are amazing. How do they do it!?!