just sitting still as best I can

Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just sitting still as best I can

Well, ad has been out for almost a month. Going to out patient and meetings' even found a church she likes. Was 110% into it all. Got alittle touch as she was giving me advice on how to do things for awhile. Sooo, she comes over in tears yesterday telling me she thinks she's depressed, hates the weather. Is sick of meetings and all that goes into it. She has that personality that everytjing is full steam ahead and then it stops. I just sat and listened and suggested she talk to her counselor or bring it up at a meeting. The last 4 days she sat at her place and watched movies, no energy or drive. I thought this is just part of recovery, the ups and downs of dealing with life clean. Ohoh, I found a site on my computer she was in. reading about how long crack stays in your system, will drinking alot of h20 speed up the process. She has been incarcerated 6 months and out about 4 wks so I'm sure its out by now or is she getting ready to use again?? I heard a cute saying last week, So much to think about, nothing to worry about" I play it over and over in my head.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry..sounds like she is really struggling.But not somethiung you can fix..her sponsor, counselor, friend in the program maybe, but not you.Keep sitting still. Can you get to a meeting this week?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Katie, My son has been healthy (as I call it) for 14 months now. Every time I think something is wrong with him my mind automatically goes to drugs. Its just plain nutty. I have talked myself into not worrying and just sitting still. Things pass and we have to realizethat this is their life to handle. All we can do is handle ourselves now. I'm sorry your in that thinking the worse state but try and let her work her problems out. She has support with the people in her groups that have been there......and I hate the weather too. Just not ready for another western NY snowy season......Smiles, Bonnie
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Depression is common for recovering addicts but hard to assess unless they are clean for a period of time. She might want to talk to her doctor about this. There are non-narcotic anti-depressants that help a lot of people. Takes some adjusting to find the right one and get used to them, but worth getting a professional opinion on.

Is she using? Oh how many times I asked myself that about my son. Thing was, my guessing never changed the outcome. He was or he wasn't regardless of what I thought.

Meetings helped me cope with my own fears, and they helped me learn healthier ways of thinking and letting go.

That said, it wasn't easy but it worked.

Hugs
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good morning, She stopped over this am. She is now been prescibed Lexapro for depression. hopefully this will help her get through. She has 3 more weeks of outpatient treatment and then it's up to her when and where she attends meetings etc. i realize it's a long road for her but it has to be her travel. Thanks for always being there.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well good for her for seeking help!BTW..Lexapro is pretty awesome.My daughter also needs meds, tried to stop them herself after 6 weeks sober..Big mistake! She went back on (a higher dose) and has been feeling MUCH better. Hang in there...
Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why do addicts seem to reject antidepressants but are perfectly willing to put other poisons in their system??? I never have understood this. Is it possible that the ones they have tried just weren't the right ones??? I believe that addicts need antidepressants because they have damaged the natural process in their brains. They seem to get depressed very easily especially when life gets tough or monotonous. I feel they are a greater risk of relapse when allowed to function with out addressing this issue medically...just my opinion!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with you stace, one of my AS needs meds but will not take them yet continues too fill his body with other toxins. Makes no sense too me.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

katie
I know it's so hard not to worry about them and how they are faring in their recovery. But you're so right......it is her recovery. Good to hear that she has gotten some (legal!!) drugs for her depression.

Breathe deep and do something nice for yourself to get your mind off of whether she's using or not. As Ann said, our worry doesn't change the outcome but it sure makes us feel lousy!

gentle hugs