Notices

Sitting in a bar

Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sitting in a bar

Day 11 and I am sitting in a bar in a hotel lobby. I feared this business trip knowing that I would have too much time on my hand. I am probably playing with fire - drinking just tonic water minus vodka. Leaving the drink is one thing - so use to hanging out in the hotel bar. My friends are joining me soon which will make things easier - I can lie to my friends and tell them that I don't feel good and don't want to drink.

They say integrity is what you do when no one is watching - to put it mildly - I don't live a life of integrity.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you need to lie to them, are they really your friends?

And, sitting in a hotel bar with 11 days sobriety - wow, I never could have gotten through that.

I think that early sobriety is a time for huge change. I say this over and over again, but it's so important. If you were used to sitting in hotel bars, maybe that needs to change. Why not hit the gym at the hotel, or do some sight seeting instead?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why don't you and your friend go out somewhere and do something instead of sitting in the bar? I know at day 11, the last place I needed to be was sitting in a bar. Like the saying goes...if you go to the barber shop often enough, sooner or later you'll end up with a haircut.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Advice

I will suggest we leave the bar to go to dinner at a restaurant. Thanks for listening - traveling is my biggest fear.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That would have been really hard for me, too..... Glad you're tuned in to SR, though. Get some stuff to munch on, at least. I agree with the others, though - I'd pick another venue!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others Pascal - to change my life, I had to make changes....my old life was killing me.

I'm glad you're making plans to leave the bar

D
Old 11-17-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pas I do hope you left that bar. As others have shared, this is about change and like Anna said...if you have to lie to your friends well are they really friends?

Good for sharing and know that your recovery must be #1.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Heard the old saying, if you sit in the barbers chair long enough you will get a haircut. If you can't do anything else go look for other addicts/alkies to help
Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Don't lie, if there really your friends they will respect your wishes not to drink anymore.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pascal - I feel your pain.

My job involves buisness trips away and drink is a massive part of them. You have to get together in the evening or questions are asked.

All I can stay is keep sober, fake it until you make it, when you get the chance to go to bed, do so. Treat yourself in bed with a massive hot chocolate. Enjoy thinking about the morning, when you wake up guilt free that you did not make a fool of yourself in front of work mates.

YOU CAN REALLY DO THIS.

XXXX
Old 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks

Yea, I made it through last Wednesday night. It was great not waking up with a hangover and with a ton of regrets over the previous night. Thanks to Glitter, Dee and so many others here I am going to make my roadtrips include an early evening AA group meeting. I went to the national AA meeting locator and have found meetings for the upcoming road trip nights. I just got to get up the guts for my first meeting!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's awesome... stay out of those bars
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Sorry pascal. I didnt take into consideration that telling your coworkers could affect your career. Do what you have to do to stay strong and not give into temptation. I'm sure all of us here at SR are rotting for you and got your back. I can understand being afraid of your first meeting, I was too. I expected to see a bunch of old men with the dirty over coat. You know the guys you see on the streets drinking out of a brown bag.