Notices

New to the forum

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum

Hello all, nice to meet you.
I suppose I should introduce myself as a 34 year old man.
I enjoy my computer for games and movies and so forth.
I figured out I have a problem recently, when I discovered myself having overt panic attacks the day after drinking.
I have consumed around 18+ beers every day for around 5 years now. I used to have panic attacks when I was younger around the time I decided to quit smoking pot. The pot was the cause at the time, but there may have been other causes involved.
Recently, I got up for work after my normal amount of drinking the night before. I had recently bought a car, and drove the short 1 mile drive to work.
Along the way, I got a terrible floaty feeling coupled with the itchy muscle cramps of drinking. I stepped on the brake so fast, that I thank the stars above that I was not rear-ended.
I rationalized a number of scenarios that did not involve my drinking, but after not being able to drive...or even enter a car while sober, I finally understood.
I need to stop drinking.
I have tried before, with a few meetings to a 12 step. I got angry at MY inability to understand the program, and I walked away.
I felt so bad for my GF...I stopped by a few days after the initial panic attack...and I couldn't drive my own car to the grocery store. She had to drive. I nearly cried in front of her as I shook from tremors. I was so ashamed.
Anyway, these things do not solve themselves, so I am here to try my best to get this demon off my back.
I thank you all for the support I may ask of you in the future.
Jim.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Jim

Glad to have you here.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jim
You may want to consult a Dr if the anxiety is that great, or if it stays at that level.

You'll certainly find support here tho
Welcome
D
Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Jim))) - welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Welcome to SR Jim, you will indeed find a lot of support here as well as a world of knowledge. I know I have. Don't give up on the AA meetings though, I took me a while to grasp it myself, but I eventually did. Like anything else, you can't expect to know everything about it when you first jump in, give it some time and I'm sure you'll eventually get it. I've got 10 months of sobriety which for me is a big deal. I was only able to muster 4 months on my own before I'd eventually get drunk and stoned again. Like we say in AA, keep coming back, it works.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - It's good that you're reaching out for support. Very few people can quit on their own. I think you have to be careful about detoxing, too. You may need a doctor's assistance because it can be really dangerous.

I quit when I saw that my health was starting to be affected. I didn't know if I could live without alcohol, but now I can't imagine ever going back to it.

Hope you'll stick around and keep posting/reading. This is a great place!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! What method you use to get and stay sober isn't as important as how much effort you put into it. I started with AA but now don't go to near as many meetings. I'm staying sober with the help of my wonderful addiction counselor and the loving supportive people on this site.

I'm glad you found us and joined our recovery family.