Notices

Changes in Appetite, Taste

Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes in Appetite, Taste

Day 10 today. It seems like each day is a new discovery.

I was a lunch-time drinker who daily sneaked away to a bar for alcohol and food. Now that I am sober, I find a trigger for my desire to use alcohol is feeling hungry around lunchtime. I am now consciously trying to eat lunch earlier, but I find myself wanting more sugar. I do not usually eat sweet food, but I figure that my body is trying to compensate for alcohol.

Also, I find that periodically my mind sends me messages such that I actually have a taste of alcohol in my mouth. Anyone have these symptoms, or am I just weird?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Nope, you aren't weird at all. I thought I was weird because I'd wake up feeling hungover, wondering if I drank the night before, when I know I didn't!!
Alcohol plays rotten dirty tricks on the mind.
And I can relate to the sugar thing too. I hate sweets, candy, cake etc, but I SURE ate candy at Halloween this year!! lol
Eat the sugar, drink the soda, it will help you. You can burn off the calories later
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pascal, first of all the sugar thing is classic. I didn't give it that much thought, but I knew over the years that my preference not to eat sweets was somehow tied to alcohol. Once it was over, I allowed myself to let loose a little with the sugar intake, but it's up to you and your doctor how much you have.

I can't really remember whether I had false tastes of alcohol in my mouth post-quitting. I know I did a sanity check a few times and literally looked for signs like recent empties from the night before and even looked at my bank account. I had to keep checking (even into the second month?) because it was seeming too easy to be out of the god-awful routine.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very important in early sobriety to eat regularly and to not allow yourself to get too hungry. Listen to your body and you will be fine.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By the way, welcome to the world of better-tasting food again. If I didn't smoke, it would be better, but I noticed a difference after I stopped putting beer in me every day.

On another note, I can also remember having trouble swallowing swigs of beer during the latter years of drinking (sorry to be gross, but I would have to pause while it was in my mouth sometimes, and I think it was because there was a piece of me that still naturally hated it, after all that alcoholism; or it was a message my body was trying to get across and it was taking years to sink in).
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Toronto....the last year I drank I hated the taste and forced myself to drink. I would often pause with a mouthfuls of wine and have to make myself swallow...of course I still made myself drink but it did help when I finally quit:-)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lafemme, yes, I remember us talking about that a couple of months ago.