Notices

trying this again..

Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying this again..

I first found SR in feb of 2009 when I made my second try at sobriety (I told myself the first was a little "break" probably so I could throw in the towel easily which I did.) Anyways I was here asking if I had a drinking problem back then. Now in just a little less then two years later and two other attempts at qutting I have no doubt in my mind that I am an alcoholic.

Back in April I made it two weeks without drinking till I threw in the towel again.. I remember going crazy those two weeks. One night I was so unhappy in my own skin that I ran out to cvs and grabbed a bottle of robitussin which I pounded down just to be able to sleep. Then in the summer I finally turned 21 and ever since I have been getting wasted at least 5 times a week.

I know I want to quit drinking, but sometimes its like something takes a hold of me and tries to convince me that I dont have a drinking problem and that I should drink. Sat night I was going to cave in at my buddies..I ran out to my car popped my trunk looking for my bottle of soco but it wasnt there so I didnt drink. I later found the bottle next to my bed from thur night when I blacked out by myself watching movies in bed.

Last night I got myself to an AA meeting for young people.. my second. I just don't feel like I get anything out of it because I sit there feeling like i'm going to throw up and leave right after it ends so I don't get a chance to talk to people. I just feel so uncomfortable talking to other people about it..especially when I am sober.

I guess I am just looking for advice. How do I battle these cravings and stay sober for good? I don't want to go back but sometimes I feel like its inevitable. I just want to learn how to be comfortable in my own skin, something I haven't known for a long time.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What worked for me was immersing myself in a program of recovery when I finally realized that I could not do it alone. Don't give up you can do it!

Give AA a fair shot and try all the things that are suggested. I wasn't in love with AA when I first attended meetings either. Getting a sponsor and working the steps is what worked for me.

Good Luck in Recovery!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I agree with Dime. I wasn't too hip on the idea at first either, but I really do feel like I get some peace, and a couple more steps away from the bottle each time I go.
It SUCKS to admit that you really do have a drinking problem and that chances are you won't be able to drink anymore. I sit here tonight, watching my husband across the room enjoying his Jack and Coke and as much as I'd like to drink with him, I can't drink LIKE him, so therefore I don't drink at all.
I wish you the best of luck finding a program you can be successful in!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Boston,

You can get through the cravings. They will not last forever and each time you get through one, the next time will be easier.

Exercise helps, so does eating well and getting rest. Change your routines and avoid people and places where alcohol is available, at least for awhile until you feel more confident.

You can do this!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Boston

I found staying connected here on SR on a regular basis (daily for me) helped me get through the cravings and thoughts that maybe I could drink just one or two.

If you find SR is not enough for you, I hope you'll think again about face to face support...whether that be AA or something else like SMART or counselling or whatever.

Whatever method you do use, you get back what you put in, so think about the ways you might be able to participate...small ways at first maybe...it's your best interests

D
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boston,

I'm on my third day of numerous serious attempts to quit. This is really hard. I don't have any good advice but realize you aren't alone.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Patman

D
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Three years ago next month I finally admitted I had a drinking problem and needed to stop drinking. Next month I'll have one year sober... so you can see I didn't 'get it' right away.

What I did differently 11 months ago was admit that I could NEVER drink again. Never ever. The previous many times I wasn't really trying to quit, I was trying to control my drinking... and it never worked.

Nothing changes if nothing changes... so I started to change myself and my attitude. With the help of this site, AA in early recovery, and my fantastic addiction counselor I am finally happily sober and have NO desire to drink at all. My attitude is totally different and I don't feel hopeless anymore. So I"m not just sober, I'm a whole different/better person.

I had to make changes in my attitude about drinking as I was a home-alone-all-day-every-day drinker so bars weren't a problem - living alone with myself was the problem cause I was letting myself drink.

To get and stay happily sober you have to change your life and your attitude, and it takes work, but boy oh boy are the results worth the effort!

Welcome back and all the best to you that this is your last time quitting.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Boston -I had a lot of failed attempts, too, which convinced me I really couldn't quit on my own. Having the support here at SR really has been a huge help - I come here daily, too.

The cravings at first were terrible. With all the obsessing I did over when/where/how/what I was going to drink (or not drink) each day, it was hard to just let it go right away. Still, the cravings don't last forever and reading everyone's posts reminded me that I didn't want to continue down the path alcohol was taking me.

I also decided that I was just putting off the inevitable (quitting). And I figured why not address it now? What was I waiting for? I really didn't want to end up in the hospital or a car accident, or lose my relationships over it.

Glad you're here - hope you can find the motivation to stay quit!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boston, I am glad you are sharing. I too tried again and again in later years of drinking to quit but I too caved in each time. What finally helped me in terms of support was coming to SR and doing tons of reading (I still do) and posting when I felt. I also found that just quitting wasn't enough.....I needed some face to face support to get into recovery.

I drank hardcore for 10 years so I assure you that my cravings were rough at first and my withdrawal symptoms were outright ugly. Guess what? I got sober and got into recovery and now am enjoying a positive healthy life without the bottle.

You can do this. So many folks here at SR have and while some are just starting with you there are those who have embraced their recovery and have years here.