Notices

Thxsgiving_approaches_what_are_you_thankful_for?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thxsgiving_approaches_what_are_you_thankful_for?

With all due respect to all non-U.S. citizens on SR, our Thanksgiving holiday approaches and I thought it be a good time to share what we are thankful for, in regards to this holiday, and our sobriety.

I’ll go first

I’m thankful for…
  • Giving my family my undivided and entire attention and time. I used to put in just what I needed to, then I was out! I would dip! See ya! Thanks for the turkey, now it’s time for me to bounce! …drinking, drugging, and womanizing with my “friends”. This year, I’m going to be fully present and there the entire time.
  • Since I won’t be out “running the streets”, I won’t get a dui like I did two years ago.
  • No hangovers. Nope, I’ll actually be able to get up the next day and help with the chores and enjoy everyone’s company. No yelling at my younger cousins to “let me sleep one more hour!”, while I lay in bed in absolute misery. When all they want is for their older cousin to show them some attention and approval.
  • …and speaking of laying in bed in absolute misery, my mind will be able to relax as I won’t have to worry about what I said, did and to who and when.
  • I won’t be drunk. Such a simple statement, yet so powerful.
  • I might, hold on a minute, actually enjoy my family. Holy moly – what a concept!
  • Actually being able to be thankful for what I have. I mean really thankful.
  • Since I quit doing drugs too, I won’t have to worry about when I’m going to sneak off to get my next fix on and then having to worry about if anyone saw me or knows (paranoia anyone?).
  • Just simply being present and able to remember.
  • Me, not making this holiday, about me. What a relief

Look forward to reading your list about what’s going to be different this time and what you are thankful for.

Kjell
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just very grateful that I don't drink anymore. Life is so much better sober!
Grateful that I'm alive and well.
Grateful that I did not kill/harm anyone when I was drunk driving countess times.
Grateful that I have gained my family/friends and peers respect back.
Grateful that alcohol does'nt own me anymore.
Grateful that the obsession to drink has been lifted.
Grateful that I do not have to experience a hangover again or the shame, embarrassment or loathing that came the morning after.
Grateful that whenever there is a DUI checkpoint, my heart isn't pounding out of my chest and panic takes over.
Grateful that I don't have to lie, or hide my drinking.
Grateful that I look and feel so much better, no ore unexplained bruise, aches, or pains.
Grateful, grateful, grateful!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful to be coming up on a year sober, and happily so. Grateful that my only drinking thoughts are that I'm glad I'm not doing that any more...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, I'll just say I'm thankful for being alive, for having a wonderful daughter and I still have my job and my house. In the past couple of years lots of people have lost their jobs and homes.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

This year I am grateful because~
I'm not only working on my sobriety, but I have started AA, and don't have to be alone anymore.
I don't have to wake up hungover, and waste the whole day.
I never hurt anyone while drinking, never lost my family or friends.
I am learning new ways to cope with the stresses of my life.
I have reached a new level of spirituality that I've always wanted, yet could never achieve.
I have a wonderful husband that is my rock.
My kids are healthy.
I'm grateful to new friends, and old ones too. I'm grateful to all of my SR family for showing me what it takes to live a sober fulfilling life. And also to SR for the fellowship and support I've always gotten here.
Hope everyone has a happy and sober Thansgiving!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Oh man, I could go on forever with a detailed list. Right now I am just grateful that I didn't lose the great life I had before I started drinking. It only disappeared for a while. It's coming back to me now and I am beside myself with gratitude.

And I'm thankful for a large family who will bring lots of food to our holiday meal. I'm grateful for having lots of options because NO ONE in my family knows how to cook a bloody turkey right.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

lol ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Grateful for family - my AA family, my SR family, my friends and my family family

Shoot, how 'bout this - I'm grateful to be a conscious, happy member of society again.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
xuse

family god and all blessings
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Grateful i was able to get my car fixed.. Grateful for a warm home and Healthy pets.. Grateful the Journey of Recovery is About progress not perfection!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I am grateful for normal life.

Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm thinking about my menu and hoping it's a bright. cold day so I can bundle up with the kids and take a walk. My house will be clean so I love that. My inlaws are staying at a hotel We're going to put up the Christmas tree that weekend. I bought some good quality apple cider that I'm going to mull and I also bought big glass mugs that will be nice to serve it in. My son is really into Christmas this year and I can't wait to see his face when the tree is done.

In prior years I would feel giddy in anticipation of the holidays because it was all wine, all the time. Not even box wine but magnums. And enough people drinking that I could hide my consumption. No matter how much I drank the hangover wouldn't matter because during the holidays you can totally have wine at lunchtime and that is such a treat when you're hungover. Boozy hot chocolate is the perfect accompaniment to tree decorating. With my in-laws staying at a hotel I could drink like a 'normal person' while they were here.. sneak a few before they came and then pound some glasses after they left to 'unwind'.

In prior years the only thing I was excited about was the alcohol. Positively giddy about it.

Now, I feel real whole deep joy and gratitude. I'm anticipating wholesome fun and lasting memories. It's precious
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Thankful for my recovery, my family, my health..and my baby boy who will celebrate his first birthday a few days after Thanksgiving!!!