Notices

Messed up big time

Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messed up big time

So disappointed in myself. I had been sober around two weeks but this weekend I drank again. Saturday night is a complete blank, I woke up at home having lost my phone, wallet and jacket and with a big cut on my forehead. Then I missed work this morning. Feeling really, really down............
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pick yourself up and dust yourself off. You fell down but you're still alive. Learn from your relapse and move forward again.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't get down on yourself Pete. I'm new to this as well, and I don't think that making a mistake makes you a bad person or anything. It just makes you human. Two weeks is a long time! I hope that you can get back on the wagon!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Least is right Pete. We've all made mistakes and taken some tumbles. Just get back in the game!!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm new to this sobriety thing, too... and I ended up drinking after 23 days. I was so, so sick and hungover and it proved to strengthen my resolve in the long run, so it was actually not a "bad" thing. I hope you are able to take away the same kind of lesson. I think we all understand how you feel. Important step you've taken just coming here and admitting it.

I hope you find your stuff
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the mods here Pony has a great sig - "Failure is an EVENT, it is not a person - and yesterday really did end last night, and today is your brand new day..."

Many of us falter Pete - it's hard to move from old ways into a new way of life. Don't use energy beating yourself up - use that energy to think about what you can add now to your programme to make it work

What haven't you done that you can try this time?
D
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You fell, but you're back. Don't beat yourself up we all fall, especially so early in sobriety.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pete...Glad that you are back so soon after your short, albeit traumatic relapse. I relapsed after 111 days a couple months ago. and without the knowledge of, and support that this site, stayed out there for seven weeks. Funny thing, it was a similar incident that made me realize the time to get sober again was now. Unaware where i was when i woke up, injured with a missing wallet and phone....that was 17 looooong days ago.
Welcome Back!!
Carlos
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi Pete - sorry to hear that. Must have been quite an awful waking up. I hope you can dust yourself off, learn what you need and look into the future. Slips happen - don't let it be a relapse. Stick around here with us and make sure you stay in the Class of November.

take care -
vee
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We support you Pete. Been there and picked up myself so please do make today your new beginning.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Accept you aren't in control and get face to face help...
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pete, figure out what situation caused you to drink and be sure to avoid situations like that in the future. Move forward with your recovery.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If at first you dont succeed try try again! Get back on that wagon and move forward. Try and not to feel too guilty and terrible about what happened, but do not forget it either. If you can remember how aweful you felt waking up that morning after, maybe it can strengthen your resolve. Glad you are here and stick close!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pete,

Be thankful you weren't killed! The situation was a rough one. You never have to go through this kind of misery again. Today is a new day. Get a support system in place and work on yourself. All will get better I promise you that! Take care Pete and forgive yourself.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the words of support everyone. They mean a lot. I'm determined to gain strength from this slipup.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pete, I know exactly how you feel. I am also disappointed in myself. I was 8 days clean when I gave in and drank Saturday. Yesterday was a whole day wasted. It was beautiful outside and I was too sick with a hangover to enjoy it. I purposely wouldn't allow myself to take tylenol I told myself I need to suffer with the pain to remember how terrible drinking is. For the first time ever, I noticed that drinking was not worth it.
I hope this lesson sticks with me from now on.
I felt so good last Monday knowing I was sober all weekend and I want that feeling back.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just get back on the horse.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One failure doesn't mean you need to surrender the fight. Persistence. You're worth it.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pete,

I also know how you feel. I was 8 moths sober and than just threw it all away, now it's been 2 months how I started drinking again. The bad thing is I feel more disapointed, guilty and ashamed than the first time I decided to quit drinking and admitted to myself that I need suport. At that time I was so determined and sure that I will never be so fulish to take that first drink. Now I am not sure.

This is my first sober day after these few months of drinking, and maybe I am not the best support, but I comfort myself by trying to see something good in this - Ok, at least I know how it looks like, I know that inside myself there is a strenght to stand up and go on, I know I am not alone. Although, I decided not to go to AA meetings, I know there are people who understands what we are going through and I can kindly and humbly ask them to be my support. This will all pass, We've been through many bad and painfull situations in our lives, this is inevitable if we drink or use...and they all pass, we are still alive and until we are alive we have chance to make things better.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's not how many times you fall down. It's how many times you get back up that counts. As long as the latter exceeds the former, you will be ok.