Notices

Feeling "At a Loss"

Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling "At a Loss"

So this time around, I've only been sober for a week. It's been going well except when I find myself with unstructured time, at home or at work. I'll find myself just walking around, looking out the window, feeling restless and without direction. I guess it's a feeling I would have sublimated with alcohol in the past. Blah.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exercise? Go for a nice walk? Listen to some music? Read a book? Try cooking some really awesome food??
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think that's it.

When I stopped drinking, I had no idea at all what I would do. But, quickly I fell into patterns that worked well for my recovery. Walking is a great idea for body and soul and it helped me immensely. Think about taking a course, joining a sport, doing some volunteer work. This is a time for change!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always say the only limit is our imagination
It did take me a while to work out things to do, but I think I was shellshocked a little lol.

We have a great sticky thread the top of this Newcomers forum full of ideas for things to do that might get you started

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-12-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol is so easy.......all you have to do is change everything about your life! One day at a time!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am having the same problem

Startingagain, I also have found a lot of free time on my hands this, my first full weak of sobriety. It makes me wonder how much time I have wasted over the years. I took the initiative to go to an non-alcohol event tonight. It was weird not having a drink on a Friday. Hang in there - you are an inspiration to all us.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, all! I guess my problem is not that I don't have enough to do, it's that I end up drifting around without any sense of direction, even when I have a bunch of work in front of me or my husband and kids need me for something. Hard to explain, but I guess I just need to remind myself to take some kind of action when I get stuck in those ruts.

Today I'm going on an overnight with one of my friends for spa and shopping at the beach. That should do the trick!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! I am disabled and stay at home most of the time, but since getting sober almost a year ago (after many many failed attempts) I can now do anything, or nothing, and enjoy it. If I get too bored I take a nap or walk the dogs or clean something. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, or not doing, as long as I'm staying sober.

I agree that walking is great exercise for the body and soul. I walk my dogs a lot and always feel better for it. The fresh air and sunshine do wonders for the dogs and myself. Helps me feel less depressed and gives me good sleep. And altho I am bored a lot, it's still better to be sober and bored than drunk and bored and sick and full of regret.