Notices

New and need some imput:/

Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and need some imput:/

For the past three months I have been dealing with some unresolved issue related to my past emotionally. I have an idea of what triggered it and some how I cant seem to ignore it anymore. At first I wanted some relief from the pain because I thought it was reflecting on my husband and two kids. About one and a half months ago that I bought some alcohol. I started drinking one beer about three times a week. It now has turned to seven days a week. So I am worried that it has or will become an issue. I have a routine of drinking my beer at a certain time at night. I sometimes feel ashamed or guilty for doing it because I don't know want my husband thinking less of me. My husband and kids have noted my routine of having a beer but don't seem concerned. I started out with a low percentage of alcohol but since then it has increased. I now have some anxiety that I will not get the same effect as I have been.

So I am unsure if it is normal to be questioning my self or if I need to do something about it. My father was an alcoholic, so when I think of someone as an alcoholic I don't think I fit the category. However I am not sure either.
I did make an appointment to talk with a counselor, however I fear that facing my pain will make it worse for me:///

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

If you're having a beer every night, not getting drunk, or blacking out, if it isn't affecting your family, then I'd be hard pressed to think of you as an alcoholic, but the only person who can decide that is you. Do you feel like your drinking controls you? Do you feel like you couldn't stop if you wanted to? Do you get out of control when you drink? My husband comes home from work and has 2 beers every night before dinner. Then he's done. He is a normal drinker, even when he has more, and gets tipsy. He has an off switch to tell him when he has had enough. Do you? All questions to ask yourself. Keep reading the forums, and decide if there are enough similarities between you and someone deemed as an alcoholic, If there are, then its time to do something about it.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have some concerns that your drinking is controlling you. It's good that you are questioning what you are doing. Try stopping drinking completely for a month and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I think it is great that you notice your tendency to drink more and that you realize that it may be due to emotional stresses. Using alcohol to cope is a dangerous thing especially if your Father was an alcoholic. You might never become an alcoholic but using alcohol to escape is a bad situation.

I am a hard core alcoholic but I crossed the line into alcoholism when I couldn't cope with stress in my life. My drinking became totally out of control. In addition to working the steps of AA to learn how to deal with life I also saw a therapist to help me deal with the stress. I have found talking about it and facing my stresses to be very helpful. When I keep things inside is when I feel the worse.

Good luck in resolving your stress and congratulations on taking action early on.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey Sark,

It comes down to control. I also started drinking as a way to cope with an emotional situation. It wasn't the amount that I drank, not at first, but the fact that I found it hard not to drink at all that was the first sign that I had a problem. If your beer is causing you anxiety about a developing drinking problem than it's probably doing more harm than serving as a way to relax your nerves.

I don't know how severe the situation is that you're dealing with, but I find those things rarely ever subsided with time. Getting help is probably the best way to bring you peace, even if it means facing a lot of pain now. Many of us here will vouch that there's not enough alcohol in the world to erase an emotional problem.

Take care.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the quick replies. Next week I have an appointment to talk with somebody so we will see how it goes.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sark

I agree with Anna that is you think it's a concern then it is. I also think it would be a good step for you to try and stop your nightly ritual - see how that makes you feel.

I'm glad you're seeing the counsellor - I've seen counsellors for a lot of things, tho never my alcoholism - sometimes it may bring up some stuff, but it's all for the good in the end, I think.

You'll always find support here anyway
Welcome aboard

D