Notices

I feel like such a fool

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like such a fool

OK, here's the thing. I stupidly, intentionally addicted myself to alcohol. I'm a writer and I wanted to see how it would feel. Yeah, I know. Anyway, I'm now drinking from 5 in the morning until I pass out at night. When I've had a drink I feel almost sober. When I'm not drinking I feel "out of it." It's been a two month progression. I just want to stop this without getting the shakes. I'm a single mother of 2 and have no time for rehab. Are there any holistic remedies to stave off alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks to any and all who can help.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, cyntrow, welcome. We are not allowed to give out medical advice here. But maybe I can get away with saying what I did. I had to see a doctor and get a prescription med to get thru detox. I didn't have to go into rehab, tho. Took about 3 or 4 days and pretty much was over. Then comes the hard part, staying sober and starting your recovery. You haven't been at it as long as a lot of others (including myself) have, so it may not be too rough. See your doctor and be honest with him/ her.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Definitely see a doctor, and consider a recovery program. The physical addiction is only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to this stuff..
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please ask your doctor for help in getting safely and comfortably thru withdrawal. Home detox can be done if you have medical help and perhaps someone to check in on you to make sure you're alright.

And yes, getting sober is just the beginning. Staying sober takes effort and changes, but the reward of living sober is a constant joy and a feeling of peace and freedom.

Welcome to the family!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cyntrow

I absolutely agree that you should see your doctor as a first port of call - don't mess with alcohol detox, especially if you've been drinking all day for a while.

There's a lot of programmes - like AA, SMART etc - around that can help you stay sober after the initial detox if you find you're still struggling.

And...of course...there's always us

Welcome aboard
D