Notices

It's all new to me

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MMN

It's all new to me

Hi - I'm new to this and to this site so please excuse in advance any gaffes on my part. I quit deinking for the first time in my life 5 days ago because I was finally called out on it by people I trust and respect. I've been drinking every day for years - beer, then wine and (inevitably) graduating to vodka. I didn't like what I was becoming but thought I could handle it. I can't. So 5 days into sobriety I'm feeling much better (appetite, energy, sleep patterns etc) but I've no idea what to expect 2, 3 ,6 months from now with respect to withdrawal symptoms. Any pointers and/or advice?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MMN

I'm afraid thats pretty much like asking how long is a piece of string LOL.

Everyone has a story and I can guarantee every one of them you'll probably hear here will be at least slightly different.

For me the physical withdrawal vanished within the first week, usually...but cravings (either physical and especially mental) could last much longer than that.

I actually think it's best to focus on a day to day basis, at least to begin with.

It made it easier for me to think of it that way than to think of forever...but again, there are different schools of thought about that too.

There are no road maps I'm afraid - these are very personal journeys IMO - but I hope you'll get some guidance from what you read around the site

Welcome
D
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MMN

Dee:
Thanks for the welcome.
I've already found a lot of wisdom on the site.
I don't find myself craving alcohol at all, just not knowing how to fill the gaps that it used to fill. I guess that's about figuring out a different way to live?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome MMN. It would be nice to know what to expect, but the best thing you can do is take it day by day, one day at a time. When you get worried or confused asking people here about it helps a lot. It also helps to continue going through this forum and see what other people are saying and experiencing.

During the early early days I spent a lot of time here and it was a huge help. Finding this new way to live is scary and surrounding yourself with people who are going through or have gone through the same thing helps.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome MMN! You have our support and glad you are here.

What I can share is that after I got sober those initial days were rough.....I too said I need a plan. How do I do this? Yeah I can quit but coming off a relapse I knew that just quitting wasn't enough to stay quit and to actually feel good. I saw others here talking about recovery and making positive changes in their lives.

For me, I started counseling and of course I have SR. I needed help in learning to live free again. It was a starting over for me and recovery was what I needed.

There are many support options out there and tools to help you. I am sure others will be along with their experiences.

I know that I needed help and that is because I tried quitting and going solo and I didn't make it that far. Getting support and working it day by day is what worked for me.

All the best!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was figuring out a new way to live for me, MMN yeah. My old life had alcohol in it - everywhere. I had to find ways not only of spending my time but of filling the void in me I'd tried to fill with alcohol and failed.

It's a pretty daunting task to look at all together. Thats why we say 'one day at a time - and thats why some look to a programme like AA or SMART for some kind of guidance.

Me? I believe there are no maps saying 'now you will experience this, now you'll find yourself here'....I think recovery's most like one of those Write Your Own Adventures LOL...

You're not alone here though - you'll find a lot of help and support here, and a lot of ideas for other support groups and the like.

Stick around
D
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The physical w/d is only a few days to a week until the body is rid of the alcohol... but learning to live sober is a monumental task. The body and brain have to adapt to living without the alcohol depressant and it can take a while, months/weeks, until your body and brain are back to normal functioning.

As for me, I focused on caring for my dogs. I'd been pretty careless about caring for them, neglecting their daily walks, meals being haphazard and often late, and in general just not giving them my all. They have been a huge help to me in relearning how to live sober (along with AA, my wonderful addiction counselor, and this site) as two of them are special needs and require special care and attention. Now that I'm caring for them properly it shows in their good health and happy(er) disposition.

I too used to wonder what the hell I would do with my days if not drinking. My answer? ANYTHING I WANTED TO DO! And I do it much better than I used to do!

Welcome to the family!! Read and ask questions - we're here to support you!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi MMN, welcome to SR and congrats on 5 days!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MMN

I'm sure you and many of the Members here are aware of a BBC documentary entitled "Rain in My Heart" (you will find it on You Tube). It documents the final years 4 chronic alcoholics in Britain - 2 of which die during the making of the documentary. It's devastating in its honesty and just the thing to keep in mind when tempted.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stumbling Drunk

As someone who's keeping sober hour-by-hour, day-by-day (10 days so far for me) I just want to say I think you're doing great! Hang in there!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

MMN, hi and welcome! Congrats on the 5 days! My physical stuff was done in about a week, but the mental stuff is the toughest. The way I have been dealing with it is to immerse myself in spiritual and recovery reading materials, and I also started AA. Another thing I've been trying to do is break old habits, like going to meetings on nights I'd normally be drinking, and staying out of restaurants that I'd meet friends for drinks at. I hope I helped!!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MMN

julez - I an already see that the mental hurdle is high. Spirituality isn't part of my life (I'm an atheist) so I not sure what to make of AA. Any thoughts on that?
Thx
Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm new this time around, too. I've had major sugar cravings, so I'm lucky (?) it's Halloween time! Hope your recovery goes smoothly, and that this is your first and last attempt at getting sober for good.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

MMN, I am not a religious person, but I am a spiritual person. By that, I mean that I do believe in something bigger than me, whether it be God, or something else. I'm reading a book called Awakening the Buddha Within, and its not about Buddhism at all. Its about finding your inner peace, your inner light. AA doesn't care what religion you are, or aren't. There is talk of God, sure, but you can replace that with whatever you choose. Some people choose the unconditional love of their pets, some people choose the sun because its there everyday, and reliable, and they can SEE it. I myself am searching for something to have faith in so I can have peace within myself, and say that whatever will be will be, and I am not in charge of it. Maybe just give it a chance. You can personal message me anytime, I'd love to talk with you about it.

Last edited by julez; 11-12-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: wanted to add another thought
Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MMN

julez - thanks for the clarification. How does one send a personal message from this Board?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kristin

Welcome!!!!

living sober has been incredible
don't leave before the miracle happens
muah
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

MMN you can click on my name and it should direct you.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, MMN. I personally prefer the NA meeting I found a few months ago, compared to the AA meetings near me. Plus, you have this site to come to.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MMN

could you direct me to info on the NA program please?
I'm now at day 7 and feeling very good indeed. Physical symptoms are almost non-existent. It's all psychological ay this point.
Taking a mild anti-anxiety med before sleeping definitely makes a big difference for me both in terms of quality and quantity of sleep. Was that your experience?