Notices

A crawling feeling like...

Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A crawling feeling like...

... fire ants erupting from beneath my skin... it's only been 12 hours. What the F am I in for? I read some self help sites and its mentioned forums are worth there weight in gold so here I am. I feel very strange posting to the world especially on as sensitive of a subject as I can't share with the bestest of my friends. I need support and thought why not??..?

Maybe start with a little history, I am a 33 yr old account executive with a bad back and it seems an even worse drug monkey on my back. I have traveled a bunch and unfortunately have gone through some withdrawals after my pill case slipped out of my pocket with the remaining a thousand miles away. I love to golf and snowboard. Just bought my pass for this year, with El Nina its going to be unforgettable , frigging pownar epic.

I have been prescribed percs, norcos, ms contins, now for over 4 years I think, cant really remember when just how it started. I am not sure when taking these bitter sweet chemical formulas created more "pain" than removing it but it happened. Only lately am I really coming to term about this.

I have recently lost someone who meant a great deal to me, in large part due to these pills. With that I have lost much weight over the last 9 months we have been broken up and my back pain has all but disappeared. I have been through a bunch of medical procedures too... radio something, inject something else, and I believe these in addition to my weight loss has made me feel like a new man and given me the ability to snowboard this year. The weight loss however has gone a bit overboard as was from depression I'm having trouble eating anything now and getting thinner and thinner.

All of this; as I quickly re read what I have written; leads me to why I am working to rid myself of this monkey and start again to work for balance in my life. I am ready for a change just not sure if this is the one. I need support, I need help, this is my first experience posting anything other than facebook online so let me know whats going on with you.

I need a friend,s who understand

Oh yeah, my withdrawal kit for the next however long from reading a bunch online:

Benedryl
Delsym
Sudafed
B6
DHEA
Immodium AD
Diphenhydramine, OTC sleeping pills for last resort
Bunch of audio books
paid up cable bill
A few DVDs
Computer
Frozen foods, sorbet.
Soma
Zanaflex

suggestions??..???

Last edited by AmIReady; 11-10-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

AmIReady,

Yes you landed in the right place but it is a bit slow right now. Read the threads here in the newcomers forums, and then some of the other applicable ones for you on this website.

I am sure since we have members all over the world in different time zones someone may be along that can answer your questions.

I have gotten tremendous support from the folks here in my 50 days of being alcohol free. There are recovering users of just about every substance here.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome AmI and you have our support. Lots of good info here at SR and tons of experience.

SR has been an invaluable tool in my recovery and it opened the door for me to get started on my journey.

There is a better life and you can do it. Glad you are here!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AmIReady

Welcome

Suggestions?

We can't give out medical advice here, by our rules...I always encourage folks to check with a Dr. anyway.

I don't know anything about the drugs you're withdrawing from, but even if there might be someone here who knows, they'd know nothing of your clinical condition or circumstances.

If you want advice it's in your best interest to seek an MDs opinion.
It's way better than playing doctor yourself IMO.

You may as well get all the help you can get to beat this, right?.

I see you're a professional guy - go see a professional, AmIReady.

D
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Itchy, Kmber.

Dee, I appreciate your concern however I have spoken to a MD and the advice given was taper off, more drugs, it wont be that bad. I am looking for real advice not medical advice. I have lived through quite a bit and consider myself a fairly smart man; I have found talking to others who may have similar body chemistry to me to be as if not more relational and valuable.

The suggestions I am looking for are like, bendryl can help with some symtoms, I am going to have diharea and will need adjust my bowels with immodium ad, these are the lecturns of advice I am desiring from this community. My DR as well meaning and professional as he and the other 3 before him were they never once mentioned the possibility of any of these nasty symtoms or the above mentioned advice beforing pre-scribing the drugs to me for over 4 years. Now dont get me wrong after a period of time I knew what I was doing and abused my talents by keeping this cyle going through 2 pain clinics however much nerve pain.

I do not mean to come down hard but I really need the real advice, suggestions if you will of others who have come before me. However your concern is most warming and appreciated

From my reading I am about to go through one of the most hellish withdrawals known to man and its all in the details if I'm going to make it through.

Last edited by AmIReady; 11-10-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: edit
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok, I see you are an administrator, I believe this may be the wrong place for me. Thanks anyways.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Boy, the more I think about this the more I get fired up. I have spent a few hours reading the forums on here and have read some of the advice I mentioned on these forums. Can you please help me understand what the purpose of these forums are if not for both support with my mind but any practical advice to go along with it??!!

Do you have personal experience with opiate withdrawals?

Anyone else, if you can suggest an open, free, helpful forum and support site I would be most grateful
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've consulted your doctor.

Our medical rule is pretty wide, AIR.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
We encourage people to share their experience - within that rule.
D
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BTW, is that a response you cut and paste after replacing each user name?? A bit cold and hopefully untentionally demeaning now that I read it again.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello AmIReady:

You have found the right place to type all your concerns and fears!!! You've accomplished the feat of knowing you are truly addicted to opiates of any kind! And now you've come to the point of knowing where the over usuage of these opiates has gotten you.

The first two weeks coming off of these opiates is going to be hellish to say the least. But you already know how this is going to feel according to your first post, (when you lost the pills on a trip).

I was prescribed by my doctor, Carbidopa. This helped a lot with the restlessness and helped to keep me calm. It also got rid of the restless legs problem that drove me up the wall.

You must eat good food and as much as you can in the beginning. This will replenish your body with good things it needs and help to overcome the cravings. Drink lots of water to help flush the opiates out of your system.

Coming off of these drugs really sucks! But it is doable! The chemicals in your brain are going to start really craving the drug on your second day off of them. I HOPE YOU HAVE A STRONG WILL? Because your gonna need it to say NO MORE!

Keep posting and reading different stories. Go to the substance abuse section and you'll find all sorts of stories and recoveries on there.

Best wishes.

TOD
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

AIR:

You can also PM an individual to keep it personal and not on the forums.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

AIR:

I forgot to mention the drug I was on was Hydrocodone #10's. So yes I've been where you are. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A shining light ////

Thank you TOD!

What foods do you suggest? I am running out of energy and I think soon may not be able to be in public.

I have been reading online for hours and I expect to continue, thanks for the confirmatiion. It all seems like I could be getting myself into trouble reading too. I need some type of human interaction through this and am praying I can find it onilne. I have a VERY strong will, promise you me.

I would like this post to be a place to find a group of people even just one more person going through the same thing right now and we could help each other through virtually. I cant and wont bring anyone else in my "real life" into my nightmare. I believe this post can be very beneficial if no one assumes anything before asking, Dee? DR? Where did I get the pills for the last 4 years? and if we can all be honest.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AmI - SR is the best support I found that is available 24/7. I know it can be frustrating to get situated early on but please do be respectful of our advice and input.

I came here struggling with horrid withdrawals from alcohol and just wanted to know I wasn't alone and that the possibility of sobriety was there. It was in me to do it but can it really happen? How do folks do it? This is where SR became a lifeline for me. No judging, no OMG you are an alcoholic, no belittling or humiliating. Get what I am saying? I could come here and share my daily struggles or vents and if facing times when I would use then I would get support on best ways to overcome the triggers.

Because we don't offer medical advice doesn't mean we aren't there. See I couldn't "taper off" the booze. I would just keep doing it. So I quit....cold turkey and I kept the Drs in the loop and knew to go to the ER. What they couldn't do for me is provide the long term support that I needed. The whole life after addiction bag.

I hope you stick around and give it some time. We can help by sharing our own experiences with you and from that you get support.

Do some reading and it a chance. We are here for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kmbr, I absoutely respect any and all advice given to me, however the advice I really am so desparetly looking for is about opiate withdrawals from pills prescribed to me by my dr. I just felt from spending much time reading this site and others I could find this hear. I can understand your need to cover the bases but the post made me feel demeaned and assumed I did not do my homework per se by consulting a medical professional about stopping these drugs.

I would appreciate moving on and my apologies are offered if I come across aggressive. I am successfull because of my passion and this aggression. I sometimes dont understand how I can come across.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, this absolutely looked like the best place for support and I am extremely interested in others sharing their experences!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was not my intention to demean you, or make any assumptions, negative or otherwise, about you AIR.

I hope you'll come to find SR as useful as I do.

It's not a good time for traffic volume but you may also find our substance abuse forum useful.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I wish you the best.
D
Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family. Do check out the substance abuse forum. LIkely would have more info on your situation. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you Least, spent some time on their last night and over the last few days. Good stuff, some of these posts have stimulated more thought than expected.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dismember

So it goes. No one ever walks into problems with addiction with a perfect knowledge of what is going on.

If you choose to keep using, to moderate or to quit outright has to come from your own self. If you pick abstinence then this is the place for you. A lot of us have tried alternatives and failed, but found that total sobriety is actually pretty cool.