Notices

Thanks anyway

Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks anyway

I've been bouncing about here since Feb, 2009, and I'm tired.

It doesn't matter, I go a few days, sometimes a few weeks, yet I drink again, as I did tonight.

I'm done.

I refuse to burden this wonderful group of people with my problems any longer.

Thank you for your help. I luv you all. God bless.
D
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Never a burden. You can fall off 10,000 times and SR will still be here for you.

Any time, okay?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're always welcome here and never a burden.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

firestorm Ive been a heavy drinker for 35 years.
Been reading these forums for ages too, not posting. Quit for a while, start up, again and again, over and over. I know the routine.

Yesterday I woke up and the whites of my eyes were yellow.

You come back here anytime.
I hope you do.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Firestorm, I have been inspired by so many of your posts. And we all struggle. I hope you stay.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fire, read your own Signature. You said it best yourself. And, yes, we will be here for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep coming back. Try something different if you're getting the same results. How could you ever be a burden when we're all the same? You CAN recover because people DO.
Start again. Listen to Others. Try something new. Just try. You CAN definitely do it!!
PM me any time.
Cathy31
x
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I'm new here, but I have no doubt that these sentiments are genuine.
...and for what it's worth, the same goes for me.

Today is a clean slate. What happened yesterday is gone, what happens today depends on me.
That really is a good sig!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FS, I have followed your journey for quite some time. I have been there and I didn't just wake up magically sober one day.....it took me some years of trying and wanting to get sober and stumbling along the way. Point is - I still wanted sobriety and a better life deep in my heart.

I came to SR in January and managed to start out good and even had a few plus months sober. WOW. Never in my life had that and I felt great. Stopped coming to SR and I didn't really work on my recovery. For whatever reason...I began to drink and in a short while I had a bender that almost killed me.

I came back and I haven't left SR (its part of my recovery) and I got face to face support. Now I am enjoying the great things in sobriety because I continue to work in my recovery.

I hope you read through this and come back. There is no fail as long as you have that desire to quit which you do. You just need to find a better way and for some of us it takes time. I look around at my life now and I am happy and sometimes even cry because I had thought so many times when I was drinking that it was hopeless and would never happen for me.

You are no burden my friend. If there is any place where you can share the journey it is here. Been out there drinking for too many years and I know that SR is the only place I found that is a mix of all kinds, at all stages doing different forms of recovery. We get it and we don't judge.

I know this is long winded but I hope you come back and try it different. I believe in you and I hope that you put down the drink and believe in yourself.

We are here. Wish you well FS.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you come back D.
Noone is a burden here - folks in trouble, folks in need, are what this place is for.

When I first lobbed here in 2007 I was trailing weekly or biweekly - sometimes tri-weekly - attempts at sobriety behind me reaching right back into the Eighties.

Somehow, eventually, I reached that point where it clicked - I let go of thinking of drinking as a viable option.

I think everybody has their 'aha' moment - the trick is to never stop working towards it, or looking for it.

It'd be a shame to miss it, D, cos you were out banging your head against the wall.

We get it. I get it.

But you're better here - with friends who understand, than raging out there howling at the moon alone. I've done both - this is better.

and plus - whether you like to hear it right now or not - we're better with you here too

D
Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What Dee said.

SR wouldn't be the same without you. You are a constant source of inspiration and insight for me. Try something different if what you are doing now doesn't work but try. There is always hope m friend and I have faith in you.

You are important and you are loved.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I tried giving up drinking for 20 years, then spent the next 10 just not caring anymore. Finally, something clicked. I hate to think where I'd be today if I'd given up all hope.

Please, keep trying! You DESERVE to find out how great life can be sober.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please keep it relevant so you can be reminded all the time. Don't get me wrong; I do congratulate your quitting alcohol. However, I found that alcohol events just spring up all over. Are you prepared for that>"
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh I'm so sorry to hear you slipped. I know it is so crushing! You've always stood out to me. The place wouldn't be the same without you. We need you as part of our inspiration when you finally kick this for good (I know you can do it!).

Some people can wake up and never drink again. A lot of us try and fail. What helped me to keep getting up again was the memory of how wonderful I felt when I was sober (not just dry, but sober). I never stayed sober when all I was doing was trying to scare myself out of drinking. I had to truly understand that life without alcohol was going to be incredible and the only way to stay there was to permanently remove alcohol from my list of viable options. Forever. Not 'one day at a time'. FOREVER. Yes, sometimes I have to hang on for a day and talk myself down until the next day. But that 'forever' cinched it for me. Put me in a place of confidence.

to you as you navigate your own path.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, firestorm.

The people who are struggling need this place the most.

Many of the people here who have long time, quality sobriety took many failed attempts before they finally 'got it'.

I hope you stick around here for a while. Whatever you decide you are always welcome here.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have enjoyed your posts so much, firestorm. Your honesty is very much needed by those of us who still struggle daily and for those who have lots of sobriety but need the reminder that they're only one drink away....

I know some days feel hopeless but some days don't...so come visit when you can. I pray that you'll realize that we need you as much as you need us. I know it's exhausting but please don't stop trying. You're strong enough to at least keep trying and we want to be here for you.

You are loved.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm new here (and too recovery), but I wanted to let you know that hearing people's struggles is at least as helpful as hearing from people who have attained long-term sobriety (more relatable I guess). Either way, I hope you get the support you need. Take care.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dallas, my friend, you must never give up.

This disease is relentless and it will take your life if you don't stop it.

We are here to offer support. We know how hard this is.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

D, honey, please don't leave here and please don't give up on yourself. I too relapsed over and over and thought I was hopeless. I WASN'T hopeless, I just kept trying and finally got it. You can too. Please don't leave us. I love hearing from you. Please don't cut yourself off from us. We're here to support you. That's why we're here... and we don't shoot our wounded, ya know.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If you read this.....good luck to you Dallas. I mean that.

Maybe "less sharing" and "more work" is just what the doctor ordered. When I was in my first year or so, I found the more I talked and shared my problems, the bigger they seemed to get - like I was feeding the fire, yanno? I had to, for a while anyway, pull back how much I was talking about what was going on in my life and focus on the solution and working the steps. Some ppl warned me that "I needed to share to heal" but some others who'd been around the block a bunch of times themselves encouraged me to chill on the "sharing" and focus on the "inventorying." .....it made a really big improvement in my recovery.