Notices

Dreams?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams?

Hi all. I am on Day 17. Past couple of nights, I have been dreaming about drinking. So vivid. I dreamed that I was at the liquor store. I bought a 6 pack of Bud (haven't touched Bud in 3yrs + it was cans, I always preferred bottles). I also bought a little guy of Dickel's whiskey (not even sure if this comes in small bottles). This is weird too, I preferred Beam. Anyway... I drank them, I tasted them in the dream so vividly.
Cool part was I that I got so p.o.'d at myself for drinking and I was mad that I was going to have to start over again.
Bummer is, all day long today, all I can "taste" is whiskey.
Anybody else have dreams like this?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Ooooooh yes. You, me and everyone I know. Drinking dreams are ubiquitous. I have no idea why, but tons of people get them. And they can be very vivid. Many times I've woken up believing what I dreamed was real.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup...I've had them. Most people who post here say when they wake up they are mad that they f'd up...so I think its positive usually. Whiskey is nasty tasting stuff...sorry you are tasting it all day...I guess you liked it though...try and associate the taste with throwing it up...works for me:-)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by readythistime View Post
Cool part was I that I got so p.o.'d at myself for drinking and I was mad that I was going to have to start over again.
Same thing happened to me. I was chugging a 24 oz Miller Lite (that's how I knew it was a dream, hah), and I then thought, what am I going to tell the guys on SR?

I think it's good sign that we feel bad about drinking, even if only in a dream. I hope the only place I relapse IS in my dreams.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
and I then thought, what am I going to tell the guys on SR?
Ha what a cool testament to the support community here. I've only been a member for about 24 hours, but I think I've found what I was looking for.

Thank you all!

J.S.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I just hope you don't follow that dream up with a dream hangover tonight and feel and taste that all day!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a little over 4 months sober now, & just recently I've been having dreams of drinking
vodka on the rocks(I heard the ice clinking, it woke me up!)
It was a trip!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Yeah, definitely had those dreams. And you're right, they are so vivid. I can actually smell and taste the alcohol. Luckily, I also feel guilt, remorse, anger and other emotions in my dreams. Drinking dreams for me always include negative feelings; I always know that my drinking was wrong. Often when I wake up from such a dream, I'm still upset with myself for a few moments, until I realize what's going on. Those dreams help me. It's bad enough to have those feelings while I'm asleep. I certainly don't want to have them while I'm awake.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I've had many of those. I often drink among family members who disapprove and am confronted by them. Very disconcerting to wake up to these types of thoughts. They are very vivid dreams.

Also, I have a tendency to have very highly detailed dreams that may not involve alcohol, but leave me feeling confused and disturbed when I wake up. Their "story lines" are usually weird or scary.

I know it passes after a little while, but I'm back in the saddle (dream-wise) so I feel like I'm being read my psychological rights all night long. Not fun!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I haven't had too many drinking dreams, but I used to get a phantom 'taste' of wine in my mouth for no reason... Used to freak me out but it's long gone now.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I definitely had them. I posted it about it here I think. I haven't had them for a while now. Not since I posted actually I think.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

I still get phantom smells every once in a while. It's always beer too, which is odd because I only drank top-shelf beers back when I was drinking normally, never when I started abusing.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I get phantom tastes. The other day I was just sitting eating breakfast or something normal. And I got a taste in my mouth like the morning after a big wine binge (ie - every morning in my old life). Bleugh.