Notices

OK, Let's Try This Again!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

OK, Let's Try This Again!

Hey All -

I was on here about a month ago saying I was going to try quitting (again). Well I failed miserably! I made it about 24 hours before giving in to the cravings. I'm giving it another go tomorrow, wish me luck. Let's hope that tomorrow's day one is the last day one.

Thankfully I'm much less depressed about it this time. Rather than feeling like my life is coming to an end I just feel like I'm ready to close this chapter of my life and begin another. My only concern is learning how to live sober, because I haven't done that for a long time. What are you supposed to do if you're not going to drink???

-E
Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back eJosh

What are you supposed to do if you're not going to drink???
I used to sit drunk all day everyday watching daytime TV.
Now I literally don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.

The only limit you have for living sober is your imagination eJ

D
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wondered what I would do too, when I stopped drinking. I seemed to have lost interest in everything and isolated myself.

I was surprised by how many things I found to do, things that were important to me and things
that I cared about. I think you will find lots of enjoyable ways to fill your days.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I agree with ((Dee)) - I can't find enough hours in the day to do what I want/need to. I used to do crack 24/7, and it took me a while to adjust to life without all the drama, but I did. I also spent a lot of time, here, in my early days of recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I'm with D...its Sundaynight and I wish it were Friday night because there is so much to do now and its all so much more fun then drinking!

What did you enjoy doiong before?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with myself - but I just tell myself that as long as I'm sober, it's good. Staying in all day sober beats going out and getting drunk. Every sober day is a productive one.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Without drinking, you can do whatever you want to do. I know early on, I filled my time with as many AA meetings as I could get to, and when I was at home I was on here. Sometimes I was even on here when I wasn't at home, via my laptop or ipod or whatnot. I was in school at the time so I had things to do, but I really focused on my recovery and spent a lot of time reading and talking to other alcoholics and learning how I was going to deal with being an alcoholic and not drinking.

I hope you're able to make it 24 hours again. After that, focus on the next 24 hours. Then do the same thing the next day. Thanks for being here!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I spent a great deal of time here, too. In the first days/weeks, everything is strange, so just doing regular things sober takes some getting used to. I had enough to worry about just dealing with the constant (obsessive) thoughts of drinking that were still there. I also felt foggy and a little clumsy, and easily overwhelmed.

So... I adopted AA's saying "Keep It Simple" and "Easy Does It". Like Lilly said "every sober day is a productive one." Things really will change and get better.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey eJoshua,

Glad you're back. And good luck tomorrow.

I think attitude made a big difference for me. Years ago I would wallow over every slip. They say misery loves company, but when company isn't around it often settles for drinks. Much easier to focus on fixing yourself when you like yourself. You're off on a good start.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Keep reading, Joshua. Take your sobriety seriously....in fact, spend as much time getting sober, as you did drinking.

We're glad you're back.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm the same as Dee and Anna and the others. Once I got used to being sober I found lots to do, and not only that, I did them better cause I was fully awake and aware. Don't worry about how you'll fill your days, just get used to being sober first, then work on activities to keep you busy.

Welcome back!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks everyone! Really helpful posts, all.

Today I really had to control myself not to stop by the liquor store on the way home from work, as that's been my MO almost every day for the last several months. I managed to make it though. Thankfully, I don't have any leftover booze in my house or it would be really hard not to run to it now.

I'm hoping that I'll find something to occupy my time in the next few weeks. The main thing is I had just been so depressed by my drinking lately, which consequently drove me to drink more to not feel as bad about it. It's a vicious cycle. Now I have the guilt, but I don't know how to address it constructively.

My next step is going to be scheduling an appointment with a counselor (thank God, I actually had one a while back that I know and trust.) I'm hoping talking with someone about my emotions will help me to balance them out again.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
The main thing is I had just been so depressed by my drinking lately, which consequently drove me to drink more to not feel as bad about it. It's a vicious cycle. Now I have the guilt, but I don't know how to address it constructively.
Whoops, looks like I contradicted my original post. I guess I wasn't depressed about it yesterday, but today I am.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a certain amount of depression is par for the course eJ...generally I think I felt better after the first few days, generally the first week...

do see a doctor if you feel it's going on too long or is causing you any serious problems though...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I agree with Isaiah. Attitude does make a big difference. I quit for over a month not too long ago, and I drowned in self pity quite often about not being able to handle drinking like a normal person. Well I'm 11 days into it again, and have a much more optimistic attitude. No problem as of yet. Get through one day at a time. And then another day, and then another. The proud feelings you get from days of not drinking do wonders to exterminate the guilt and depression.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

address the guilt by not drinking, thus not making anything else to feel guilty about.