Notices

Im terrified to quit drinking

Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im terrified to quit drinking

Im 22, been drinking about 750ml of 40% every night for the past almost 2 years.

Im not drinking tonight. I have stopped drinking in the past for about 5 days in a row and then started up again. Sleeping sucked. Since I havent had much of withdrawal symptoms during past attempts at quitting, should this time be no different? Should I have a beer before bed to help tamper?

(I just started researching the withdrawal symptoms, and they scare the hell out of me!)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi supras4lyfe
Welcome

I recommend everyone discusses quitting with their dr before you do it.

I detoxed without trouble for 15 years or so, but my last detox was very problematic.

There's simply way too many variables in people's individual cases. Play it safe and see a doctor.
D
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please do be careful and talk to your dr.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I agree you should talk to your doc if your worried.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I 2nd the Dr. suggestion. Your Dr. cannot share your medical info with anyone so there is nothing to worry about there. And as one who has been through some very tough detoxes trust me they make it a lot more comfortable.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

There's no way to predict what a withdrawal will be like if there is one at all. Even a doctor cannot predict they can only check what is there. Doctors are the best people to start you off. There may be some effects you can feel, but a doctor can check important things like your heart rate, pupils, and other items that you and we can't do for ourselves.

Stopping any sort of drinking is hard, and withdrawal is no picnic. Just keep in mind that the sooner you decide to start the better. The more you drink, aside from all the problems you cause along the way, the worse the withdrawal will be. There's no day like today to start.

Come here if you want to share your progress or want any non-medical advice from us. And we are supporting you 100% and believe in you. Many of us have been through a withdrawal process and once it's over it's all over. No more drunk, hungover, w/d or guilt.