I should win a lottery...

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I should win a lottery...

SO, I went skulking to the grocery in some beat up scrubs without brushing my teeth or anything....just a quick trip in and out because I decided I wanted to bake some cookies and needed a couple of things.

There are only three people in this entire county + that I would recognize.
Who bumps up behind our cart grinning?

The neighbors.
I was embarassed.
geez.....maybe some of those sweepstakes should come through for me with those odds.
I quickly split and left my guy to do the checkout.

on the up side...I am making tollhouse cookies.

this is what happens when you get used to having your friends from a computer screen.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hate when that happens...I usually run into someone I haven't seen in years!!

Enjoy your cookies!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing a splash of lipgloss couldn't fix!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yikees, yesterday it was about 12:30 pm, I was cleaning in my jammies...bam, bam on the door. I open it slightly, it is my contractor, stopping by to tell me he will finish up my house next week...Jeez, my hair is standing straight up like Phyliss Diller. I asked him to wait, I got dressed and plastered my hair down, then let him in. I do understand your embarassment...just been there!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh do I sympathize with this one. I have a neighbor who checks up on me from time to time. A very sweet married man that is not hitting on me in anyway. He is simply sincerely concerned since I live alone. He makes up silly excuses like do I want to borrow his leaf blower.
Now when I am walled in my little cave, doing my buddha introspective thing, I am often in my jammies half the day.
Going to have to buy some nondescript sweat pants!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Nothing a splash of lipgloss couldn't fix!
baby blue,
I gotta know-

is this your dog?

priceless.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Never seems to fail, when I have to answer the front door I have a towel on my head.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Tollhouse cookies are my fave! I just clipped a recipe for "sweet and salty" cookies. Basically, they are the standard Tollhouse recipe with the chocolate chips (same batter it appears), but then you add broken potato chips, broken mini pretzel chips, and unsalted peanuts. They have me so curious, I just have to try them. I have all the ingredients; I just need to set aside some time to bake them.

I must admit that I won the lottery about 10 years ago, but only $5,000, which I used to pay bills. No splurges for me then. But it was nice to have an unexpected little win. Too bad it wasn't a truly big windfall, but I was grateful nonetheless.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sounds outrageous....let us know how they turn out.

I am now fantasizing about yeast rolls...love that smell!

I don't know exactly what our plans for Thanksgiving are..maybe all month a little at a time, that is the way I like to do Christmas.

I found a neat site pioneerwoman.com that had some yummy looking things on it!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
sounds outrageous....let us know how they turn out.

I am now fantasizing about yeast rolls...love that smell!

I don't know exactly what our plans for Thanksgiving are..maybe all month a little at a time, that is the way I like to do Christmas.

I found a neat site pioneerwoman.com that had some yummy looking things on it!
you made me hungry, Live.
i went to your site, but it was about business women? did not find a yeast roll recipe, darn it.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

uh-oh

Let me look..

If anyone has a recipe for no-knead refrigerator yeast crescent rolls, please share...I lost mine and it was a fave
Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oops..never saw that one, it's a typo

I was looking at The Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond

it also had a citrus honey butter I can't locate again!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The Pioneer Woman has a new cookbook out. Just saw it on my cookbook club newsletter. I have a wonderful recipe for yeast dinner rolls that I got from a former next-door neighbor. She used to leave a hot plate of dinner rolls on my front porch on Thanksgiving day, ring the doorbell, and leave. I'd find the plate of hot rolls and my daughter and I would scarf them down at the door. They never did make it to my Thanksgiving table. I've never made them myself, but I got the recipe from her before I moved. I'd be happy to post it here for you later tonight.

I just LOVE yeast dinner rolls. They smell heavenly. You know, you can purchase frozen bread dough loaves, thaw it out, cut it into single serving pieces, roll it into balls, let it rise, and then place them in muffin tins and bake for an easy alternative. Just a thought for busy women.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A bit late, but here's my friend's recipe for yeast dinner rolls. I'll use her real first name to give her credit for the fabulous recipe.

Aleen's Buttermilk Dinner Rolls

1 tsp. sugar
2 pkgs. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
5 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix yeast, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water; let sit for 5 minutes. Combine buttermilk, eggs, oil, remaining sugar, and yeast mixture. In medium bowl, sift dry ingredients then stir in yeast mixture. Knead dough on floured surface for about 5 minutes (for a soft dough). Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place until double in size. Punch dough down and let rest for 10 minutes. Melt butter on cookie sheet. Shape dough into rolls and then dip in the butter on the cookie sheet. Place rolls on cookie sheet, touching each other. Let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes). Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.