Notices

Day 4 Scare

Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 4 Scare

I had a horrible experience today trying to fill out a form for a health club. My tremors were so severe I could not even write my name... I had to leave the club... totally freaked out. It was scary and humiliating. Will the shakes go away? I'm really scared. The thing is, when I'm calm and at my own desk I can write okay (at first I could not). Is anxiety part of the shakes? The unpredictability of not knowing when I will shake so much I can't function feeds the anxiety... which is related to the shakes?!

After this incident today I came home and started researching, finding this forum and reading for hours... It's just the hope, information, and humanity I need right now. I hope this acute phase ends soon! I'm in tears.

I also have ringing in my ears which contributes to my insomnia (four hours of sleep in four days) The sweating and body pain have subsided a bit. I only saw one reference to ringing in the ears but nothing about it going away as a symptom. Have I done permanent damage to my hearing?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey insomnia and welcome!!! Have you seen your Dr about detox? It can be dangerous to do unsupervised. My guess is that the shakes are not anxiety but withdrawal ...ditto on the ear ringing though I have never heard that one before. Its ok to go to an er to check it out.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by insom View Post
I had a horrible experience today trying to fill out a form for a health club. My tremors were so severe I could not even write my name... I had to leave the club... totally freaked out. It was scary and humiliating. Will the shakes go away? I'm really scared. The thing is, when I'm calm and at my own desk I can write okay (at first I could not). Is anxiety part of the shakes? The unpredictability of not knowing when I will shake so much I can't function feeds the anxiety... which is related to the shakes?!

After this incident today I came home and started researching, finding this forum and reading for hours... It's just the hope, information, and humanity I need right now. I hope this acute phase ends soon! I'm in tears.

I also have ringing in my ears which contributes to my insomnia (four hours of sleep in four days) The sweating and body pain have subsided a bit. I only saw one reference to ringing in the ears but nothing about it going away as a symptom. Have I done permanent damage to my hearing?
insom - I have replied to you three times and deleted my posts. I want to help but see, I am detoxing myself. Please just seek medical advice at this point. I got help and know I'm going to be out of the woods soon. For me it is taking lots of water and juices, monitoring my blood pressure and making sure other people are around me in case things get worse.

I am so glad you are reaching out. Keep posting. I understand the tears.
I just got off work an hour ago. It has been very difficult and frightening.
I can't believe that I was able to work through it. I don't recommend it, but
it got my mind off of how I was feeling every minute as well as the craving for a drink.

So hang on. DON'T DRINK OR USE.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Insom
Welcome

I also suggest seeing a Dr - that way you can get a professional opinion, get thoroughly checked out and put your fears to rest

D
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, the shakes and acute anxiety are a part of w/d. Please see a doctor if you feel worse. The physical withdrawal doesn't last too long, usually, but best to see a doctor to be safe.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Again, yes, Dr.

Ringing in the ears is a symptom of withdrawal and goes away. A doctor can tell you better if that's your case or not.

And if you're doing research, do look up the symptoms for delirium tremens. It can come with withdrawal, even after several days, and that's the thing you want immediate medical help for (911 is not an over-reaction.) I don't mean to give you more to be anxious about, but if you decide to keep doing this on your own it could save your life to know this. But again I say see a doctor so you wont have to worry.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with others, probably best to see a doctor, he/she will be happy to advise you about how to ease your negative syptoms.
Be strong, things will get better. You can do it!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Stephanie
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome insom

Seeing a doctor is probably the best bet...hang tough.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I agree with talking to your dr.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so much. My problem is I don't have a doctor or medical insurance. I am happy to report I did get decent sleep last night. I did read about delirium tremens and have never had any of the symptoms. I don't want to do this on my own I just don't have the resources to do it any other way. Are there any free clinics or such that I can leverage? I was thinking about asking a 'friend' for Valium or klonopin just to ease the acute symptoms but after sleeping reasonably well I prefer not to. I don't have a history of drug use (other than alcohol) I live in a city with lots of social services so based on your advice, I'm going to look around for a free clinic for my situation. Thank you everyone.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good going, insom.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Insom,

Bit of advice, when you go checking if a place says "no" ask if there is anyone who can refer to you a place that does. A lot of agencies employ social workers on their staff to grant such referrals but sometimes you have to ask.

And I'd agree getting drugs from friends is a big no-no. Withdrawal, if you are in withdrawal, is a pretty fragile state. You really don't want to be playing doctor. I did that myself and wound up in the hospital.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Isahiah you are right about self medicating. I won't do it. There is a clinic in my neighborhood which is closed today but offers a line to a doctor should I need it. Given my improved symptoms, I am going to wait until tomorrow. Today I'm cooking lentil soup and meeting a friend at a cafe. Although this is damn scary and I know I have a lifetime of work to do, there are very promising glimpses of how wonderful life can be.

Another thing about the shakes, my brother also has tremors and he does not drink. The condition perhaps is hereditary and I exacerbated it with drink...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Possible, there are a lot of things that cause tremors. I was on a medication for a long time which caused them. Withdrawal can take up to a week to pass, so having symptoms at the point you're at is not impossible. And the statistics I've read suggest that a majority of withdrawals are not threatening. We just always advice a doctor here because none of us want anyone to be part of the small percentage at risk. Plus, a doctor is the only one who can make a competent assessment of a withdrawal, in addition to providing things like medication to lessen the symptoms.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insom

Many cities do have free clinics. Google 'free clinics' and your home town.
I'm not American but I understand many states also have programmes for medical access for people with low incomes etc.?

D
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dismember

Free clinics are pretty available.

Getting medical access was a little more tricky for me at least. Took about three months to enroll me in my county's health care program. I've been waiting for Medicaid (national-state insurance) for... I've lost track. So it's not a bad idea for those without insurance to look for options before anything happens.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went four days without sleeping a wink. I finally relented and went to the doctor and got medication for the insomnia. I told him I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING THAT IS EVEN REMOTELY ADDICTIVE!!! LOL!
I've heard other people talk about ringing in their ears although I didn't have that particular issue.

Remember this **** when you want a drink in the future! You're probably broke because of your drinking. I've been there myself. It robs you physically, emotionally and financially! Calculate how much money you spend on alcohol then put that money back each week. Trust me it adds up! It's also better than giving it to a bunch of A$$HOLES WHO DON'T CARE IF YOU LIVE OR DIE!! The whole industry is a bunch of vultures no better than a sorry crack dealer on the street.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

god that sounds ungly 'broke because of your drinking'... but it's true. Lost a good wife as well Stang. Met my new lady friend for a study at a cafe today but we didn't have the materials we needed so we decided to go to dinner. Ended up Japanese with chopsticks... uh oh. Yesterday I could not even write my own name, today I'm sitting with a woman I'm interested in and have to use chopsticks? I did fine... no tremors at all. But I'm very confident and relaxed around her... so I'm sure in my case the tremors are related to anxiety. The date, however, brings up an interesting subject, do you tell folks around you what you are going through? I wanted to be open about this huge struggle/event I'm experiencing but... it's kind of heavy and personal. Personally, I always disliked recovering alcoholics getting on their soapboxes during the holidays or whatever and talking about it. Yet now I understand the significance of it... sort of. What do you all think and do about letting those around you know this struggle?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've told a few people about it. I would tread lightly in who I shared my story with. You'll get a feel for who wants to hear it and who doesn't. You can't fight alcohol itself. It's been around for thousands of years and it ain't going anywhere.
Good job with the chopsticks! I spent a year in Korea and never could use those damn things!! LOL Especially with the shakes!