Notices

Relapse

Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

Just wanted to know, for myself and others, when a relapse happens with drink, is it usually over a long period of time?

I know everyone is different, but is it months or weeks in blackout style drinking? Or is it a few drinks one evening?

What usually happens?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Those I had over the past three years have been gradually changing. Those I had in my first year of recovery might go for weeks. I've had three this year and they were all just a couple of days. In all cases it usually involved some blacking out. The drinking I've done for a long time was all about pushing it as far as it could go, moderation was never even considered.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everybody's different. For me it's usually been one night, followed by a miserable day with some "hair of the dog" to help ease the hangover. Sometimes it would be a couple of days total, but never any blackouts.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My (many) relapses were of differing duration. When I was first getting sober I'd relapse for days/weeks, then get back on the wagon. The longer I'd been trying to get sober, the shorter the length of my relapse. That's how it was for me anyway. My last (the last) relapse was only for a couple days, but I was sicker from it than I'd ever been before and convinced I would die... or wanted to die from feeling so bad... It just depends on the person and their circumstances I guess. Some go back out and stay drinking for a long time, others get back on the wagon after a relatively short period of drinking.

I did notice tho that each relapse made the w/d much worse... Glad I finally gave it up for good.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sasha,

It really varies from person to person. My last relapse (after 4+ years sobriety) lasted 9 months; and I was practicing "controlled" drinking (which I don't recommend, because all it did was make me miserable with always wanting more but limiting myself). A few times I did get drunk, but not blackout drunk. Nonetheless, the period of time was such a waste of stress and energy. I loathed all the sneaking and lying I did. (Gratefully, I am 14 days sober today--I finally surrendered!).

Anyway, I was in a meeting the other day where one person kept relapsing and relapsing (couldn't put more than 7 days together at a time) and another person had relapsed for 14 years after 17 years of sobriety.

So, the drama is variable. The disease is not, and it is cunning, baffling, and powerful,,, and patient.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you can make generalities about relapses Sasha - except to say I don't I've ever heard anyone say they were glad they did it.

Relapses are never inevitable.

I've relapsed some, and now I've learned to work on my recovery and get through those hard times - the latter is way better

D
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

It is said that this is a progressive disease. I am either on or off.

When I am "on", booze and boozers is/are the most disgusting in the world. I seem to go anywhere from 6 to 8 months "on", then I start with a couple of glasses of wine, maybe at a party. Then an entire bottle (or two) of wine 3 or 4 days later with lunch, then a week later I just say scr*w this and I am grabbing a pint of vodka on on my way home, and a week later I am in line at the market with a 1.75.

After three weeks, I am drinking two or three of the big bottles per week. Every day more, every week more. Eventually after 4 or 6 weeks of being "off" I get a hold of myself and stop for another 6 months.

No more.... I am done. Booze does nothing for me. I don't want it, I don't need it (sorry... I have to keep reminding myself of that....every day ~ day and night).
Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree that everyone's different. My relapses were typically short lived, but they were fairly devastating. Sometimes I would moderate successfully for a few weeks, then go over the edge again. Conclusion: no alcohol is best for this person. I'll admit, I've sometimes found it difficult to understand why people don't get back on the wagon sooner when they relapse, as I've always had little difficulty, but then I'm not in their shoes, and I know how alcoholism is insidious. It's just different ways that the disease presents itself, same disease underneath it all.