Giving the boot to an alcoholic resident

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving the boot to an alcoholic resident

Hi,

Firstly, my name is Danny and I'd like to thank all of you who contribute to this wonderful website. The stories and advice have really inspired me to take action against my brother's alcoholism.

My older brother is 26 and a very heavy drinker. His drink of choice are Steel Reserves, which he will drink at least 2 or 3 16 oz. cans every day. He has been without a job for two years and lives with my parents rent-free. He has gotten to the point where he has alienated most of his friends and he continues to ruin family relationships. My parents were weekend binge drinkers themselves so they only enabled my brother to continue to live the way that he does. My parents are slowly cutting back on their own drinking and in doing so they are becoming more aware of just how bad a problem their son has. The water has begun to boil over the pot. Recently, he verbally and physically assaulted my mother, my father and myself. All on separate occasions. My brother doesn't admit he has a problem and he refuses to get help. My parents are now at a crossroads: they are considering kicking him out (which I fully advocate). They aren't sure how to go about it and frankly, I am kind of in the dark here myself.

I was thinking that they could write up a contract stating that my brother has one month to find a job and move out. If he doesn't corporate, I figure my parents can place a restraining order.

Any advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I think it depends on the state, but here they would have to formally evict him (that is if he won't leave on his own after being asked to go). I'm sure the government website for your county will have more information on evictions, and whether you need to do that or not.

I'd call the police next time he got verbally or physically abusive, and I wouldn't warn him that I was going to do it either.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there Guest, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by Guest1214 View Post
....My parents are now at a crossroads: they are considering kicking him out (which I fully advocate). They aren't sure how to go about it and frankly, I am kind of in the dark here myself. ....
Physical assault is a legal issue. For that you need to consult a lawyer. Laws are different from state to state so you need to find out what your options are _before_ it happens again.

You can get a lot of suggestions from other folks who have dealt with alcoholism in a loved one by checking out some al-anon meetings, which you can find here.

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

There is tons of info and lots of wise people in the forum "next door". Browse around there a bit and see what you think.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Mike