suicide threats

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

suicide threats

I see on here that it is a common misconception that someone who commits suicide doesn't tell others about their plan

that may be true sometimes

but I have known 2 people who said it and did it...I mean known them as in tell me that they are thinking about it or are going to

and then completing the act..they are dead

so let's not ever discount..there is an easy way to handle this

dial 911
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've also known it to go many ways. I've known people who threatened often and never followed thru. I've known others who attempted and failed, otherrs who told of their plans and followed thru, and those who just ended their own life.

For ME the healthy choice is to walk away and call 911, to leave it in the hands of professionals. On my best day I cannot truly know the thoughts, intentions, plans of another.

I also know, no matter what the circumstances, the outcome is out of my hands. It's not my fault, neither my success nor my failure. Ever.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mother has attempted suicide about 12 times. She has never been successful, but made everyone take notice of her for a brief time. At somepoint years ago, I realized that she would always manipulate using that technique, so I keep a sizable distance from her.

My exa threatened sucide many times, but never followed through or attempted to my knowledge. He likes the drama and tries to manipulate others into doing what he wants.

I both cases the only healthy thing that I have known to do is to tell them that I hope they don't do it, but it is their choice.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
I also know, no matter what the circumstances, the outcome is out of my hands. It's not my fault, neither my success nor my failure. Ever.
I think that this is a critically important statement. Thank you CatsPJ's. Both my ex-husband and my AS have threatened suicide on many many occasions. I have referred to it being taken emotional hostage. I stayed in a marriage for many more years than I should have because I was told that if I left him he would kill himself. He never did and to the best of my knowledge, he never tried.

I have done it all. I have rushed to their side to "talk them down", I have called the police, and I have left them to do what they wanted to do. It is all so very painful.

But after so many years of this, I eventually realized that we cannot protect someone from themselves and we can't take accountability for the outcome or the reasons behind it.

gentle hugs