Notices

So happy to be sober today!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

So happy to be sober today!

My husband it out of town. This is a huge trigger for me. In the past, I would count down the days with such excitement to being 'free' to drink. I'd even drink more the night before because I knew I'd have the 'luxury' of being able to drink early in the day to get rid of my hangover.

I'm only 2.5 mos sober but so much has changed. I had a full morning with my kids. It's raining so now we're all in PJ's about to watch a movie (not terribly productive so early in the day but cozy and a treat!). I'm excited for tonight to watch my favorite shows. And have plans with friends every day he's away.

Living in real life, in real time. Not holed up with a box of wine 'treating myself'.

Driving home from lunch I just felt a burst of happiness. I never knew I'd feel so content with such seemingly benign things. I was just so stuck in a cycle of misery and then the relief of alcohol.

I feel so free. Like a fog has been lifted.

Thanks for letting me share
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I feel so free. Like a fog has been lifted.

I feel just the same! And like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders too. I go to bed every night happy and wake up feeling good and happy. What a change from 11 months ago!

I have a Whole New Attitude - a healthy happy one! Living sober rocks!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

your posts give me hope. I am a million miles away from you guys are at right now
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting! You are such an inspiration. I'm only on day 12 (went out for 9 months after 4 years sober), and my husband going out of town is a big trigger for me too. In fact, he's be going out of town next weekend, but I plan to be working and going to meetings, and I'm telling everyone ahead of time so they know to make sure I'm "safe." I think it will be key for me to make plans with other sober people for all the days (3) that he'll be gone.

Congratulations on your happiness! You've earned it.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by crisplover View Post
your posts give me hope. I am a million miles away from you guys are at right now

Eleven months ago I was a million miles away from where I am now... but I got here one day at a time and you can too!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love stories like this...makes me happy

Congrats!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by crisplover View Post

You'll get there! For me the turning point was walking away from my battle with alcohol. No more moderation. No more 'breaks'. No more 'only drink when ____ (I'm at a party! I'm throwing a party!) or only drink until ___ (9pm! 3 drinks!).

Just no more.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have an awesome, wine-free weekend!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Driving home from lunch I just felt a burst of happiness. I never knew I'd feel so content with such seemingly benign things.
I get that feeling A LOT these days. Life is so much better without the alcohol
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! The gift you are giving your kids (and yourself of course) is absolutely priceless!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go SSIL75

D
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome SSIL!!

I so relate to the whole alone time to treat myself thing. I used to literally enjoy when hubby would go to work on nights so I could drink up a storm and wake up and sober up with a few early morning drinks before he came in. I also know oh too well how a box of wine easily replaced decent bottles of wine. Less work to drink and I could hide the evidence a bit better.

I can't begin to say how freaking happy I am as many of us share on here that we no longer live those lives and how sobriety is amazing!!! Like Least....I look at my 6 months sober and say OMG I am night and day from that person.

Huggs and what a great post to see. Reflecting on the positives in our lives and how far we have come is good for the chi
Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Thanks for the support everyone. I am 100% positive I could not have done it without SR. I have learned SO much here.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice SSIL That's awesome.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful post!

It was amazing to me that the small things could really make me feel happy. I had lost my appetite during the last months of my drinking and I had lost weight. When I began recovery, I started making coffee with beans that I ground at home, and I would make whole-wheat toast with butter and honey, and it was the BEST thing I had ever tasted!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
31/10/10

These kind of posts make me happy, too! Inspiring and motivating! Enjoy the PJ-Movie!

vee
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SAME SAME!!! I feel better than I have in years. I actually enjoy going to work again. I can just walk around and be stupid with the confidence to not give a damn what other people think!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
oak

I can totally relate to your post. My husband leaving town is a huge trigger for me too. But it is getting much easier.

I'm so glad that you are happy and content without alcohol. And enjoying time with your kids.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This was a great post to read - so happy for you and cant wait to get there. I can also relate to some of the other posts - I started buying boxes of wine as well the past year(ish), its not terribly pleasant wine to taste and I started suffering from bad stomach acid but so much easier to hide than the bottles and I would only need to buy one each time I went to Tesco (along with the litre of Vodka if it was Friday). So good to have all this stuff slapping me in the face and reminding me how disgusting it all was. I am posting on all of these I come across then when the devil on my shoulder is telling me to have a drink I can quickly reread them all and he will hopefully disappear.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I feel the same way SSIL75.

My life is just so much in control. My world is content, my kids are happier, I am happier, hubby is happier... the atmosphere in our house is completely different. We are a true family once again.

I enjoy and do more things with my kids or myself... because I am not tied to a bottle or can of beer.

As for health... WOW, I haven't felt this great for years, and I REALLY appreciate health now and just how important it is to be happy. I have so much energy, eating great, exercising, motivated, enjoy laughing... I could go on and on about the positive things.

Oh, and a few weeks ago I took my empties to the bottle recycle, it took to huge trucks loads and made $500.00... can you imagine how much that would have cost if the bottles were full. It is crazy how much money one spends on poison that wreaks our life.

Yes, glad to be free and content. Hugs everyone :ghug3