Working Farm or Labor intensive Drug rehab?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working Farm or Labor intensive Drug rehab?

Hello,

I'm a new poster but I'm desperate to get some advice. I'm looking to find a rehab appropriate for my cousin, who is a heroin addict who has relapsed multiple times.

He is an EXTREMLY spoiled 30 year old who comes from a very wealthy family. He has never in his life held down a job for more than a couple weeks, even when he's sober. I don't think sending him to another traditional rehab will do him much good.

What I'm looking for is a place where he will have to do serious manual labor. Maybe a working farm or something of that sort. Somewhere where he has support for the addiction, but begins to understand the concept of work ethic and what it takes to be a productive member of society.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Andy, and welcome to SR.

If you wouldn't mind giving a little clarification, I'd appreciate it.

You say your cousin is 30 years old. Is he court mandated to go to rehab, or just what are the circumstances? He is a grown man, albeit a spoiled one from your description.

Your post implies he has done traditional rehab already. So essentially he has the tools to stay clean, but chooses to remain in active addiction. That is his choice.

Rehab is not a miracle cure, nor will it do any good for someone who's just not done with active addiction.

Rehab is only as successful as what the addict puts into it.

I encourage you to read the sticky posts at the top and educate yourself on addiction.

Get yourself a copy of the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

See if there are Alanon or Naranon meetings in your area for face-to-face support among those who understand.

Please keep posting and know that you are among friends.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndySky View Post
What I'm looking for is a place where he will have to do serious manual labor. Maybe a working farm or something of that sort. Somewhere where he has support for the addiction, but begins to understand the concept of work ethic and what it takes to be a productive member of society.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.
I have never heard of such a place, except prison.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply

I've always suspected that there is a psyc component that makes it additionally difficult for him to regulate his behavior. Specifically, I think he is Bipolar. He has a family history of the condition and has acted in very erratic ways since we were really young kids.

I made the decision to help him this time because he reached out to me for help. His comment is that his decision making process doesn't work and that he desperatly wants to change and doesn't know how to begin to do that. What has been tried hasn't worked, so I'm looking into alternatives.

I realize I can't do anything for him, but I can help him frame the decision. Please feel free to tell me I'm doing the wrong thing if you disagree, I'm just doing the best I can and would love knowlegable opinions from anywhere I can get them.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anyone know about this place?

St. Anthony's Fam in California

I found a youtube video on it, but I can't post any links because I'm a new user, but its the first result if you search youtube.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is there any reason he can't be looking into rehabs himself, other than his 'decision making process doesn't work'?

If you want to help him by doing this, then by all means do it.

Just make sure you do it with no expectations in mind when you do.

As I said before, he's got the tools. He's chosen not to use them.

I too have co-occurring mental health issues, and when I drank and used again after 4 years clean/sober, there wasn't anyone dialing phone numbers trying to get me into rehab.

Rehab wasn't an option for 2 reasons-I was the single mother of 2 girls, and I had already done rehab, and needed to use the tools I had already been given.

When I got sick and tired of being sick and tired, I drug my butt up that long flight of stairs to my home 12-step group and started over again.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is the video AndySky mentioned:

YouTube - St. Anthony's Farm
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your input

I am not going into this with any expectations.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AndySky
I watched the video on St Anthony's Farm. Very cool concept. I love when the gentleman said "There was one thing I needed to change and that was everything." I also liked when he called the cows "ladies".

I'm not sure whether this program would be appropriate for your cousin or not. But it could be worth a phone call.

As you already know, dealing with an addict and the behaviors that accompany addiction can be very difficult and frustrating. I hope that you'll stick around here on SR and keep us posted on what you find out if you do call St Anthony's Farm and talk about your experiences in dealing with your cousin. Many of us here on SR have been dealing with addiction either on a personal level or with a loved one for many years. We all learn from one another here.

gentle hugs
Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you go to the home page of this website, there are listings for detox/rehab all across the country. There are also listings for long term or extended care residential treatment, and sober living homes. I suspect that's more what you're looking for. I found an extended residential treatment 'working ranch' in Texas a couple of years ago, where residents worked the ranch, along with an outside job. For the life I can't remember the name right now, I'm sorry!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks

again for all of the input. I'll make sure to check in frequently, I'd love to learn from all of the collected experience here.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Will preface that this is a Christian based program.

Heartland Ministries
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

My son did need help ea. time he went to rehab.
I had to find the place I thought was most approp. ea. time and set it
up as he was incapable.
Many addicts needs multiple times at rehab. That's great that you're willing to get your
cousin the right placement.

Sounds like the best place would be a long-term inpatient facility that treats "dual-diagnosis" for mental illness and addiction.
This type of placement seemed most helpful for my son-
Psychiatric staff with therapeutic component.
Also placement that has a well-constructed aftercare program.
Outpatient Aftercare programs req. employment
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services: Addiction Recovery
Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
it is what it is

thank you for sharing the heartland information -sounds like a really good program
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The Salvation Army programs are free and they have several different kinds of programs with varying times. I know of one not far from me that is a year long program in the country and the residents work keeping the property and land as well as their program of recovery.

They may have others like this, worth looking into.

I hope your friend follows through on this. A proper assessment and treatment plan for bi-polar may depend on his sobriety.

Once you find places that fit his requirements, he will need to be the one to make phone calls and arrangements. I don't know of a single facility that will accept anyone based on a third person's request (unless the person is underage).

Good luck, I hope something good comes of this. But please be very careful of your own involvement. Most of us began by doing "small favours" and then began to see ourselves as "the one who would save the addict".

Hugs
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Recovery With Animals

Hello! We are actively looking for an animal based rehab facility. By animal based, I mean something on a farm type of setting or something with taking care of animals. I've been searching but can only seem to find facilities with animal visits. So far, my boyfriend thinks the best hope for recovery is work with something he likes, animals. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

To the original poster:

I have been to rehab. Unless I'd have been ready, it wouldn't have made a difference what type of treatment center I attended. I happened to attend a pretty bare bones university facility, we had all kinds of drug addicts and alcoholics mixed in there. Some of us were there to work, others were there to get by. A farm wouldn't have changed that fact.

In my experience it was my willingness to take the program seriously that has kept me sober so far. I am willing to use the tools I was given. The setting didn't matter so much, it was that I'd hit my personal rock bottom, and truly desired to be a better person.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is what he thinks can help him. He needs something to occupy his mind and connect with, that's not his stressful work environment. He's alwayd loved animals and really wants to get back into taking care of animals. This would be a great oppertunity for him to find himself and rebuild his life now with more wisdom to choose the right decisions.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stressed, my response was not meant as a response to your animal based recovery question, but rather I was addressing the initial question posted by user AndySky. Perhaps you'd get some better, more organized feedback if you started your own thread on the F&F Forum (it appears you've mistakenly posted your own question on someone else's thread). Good luck with everything!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stressed710 View Post
Hello! We are actively looking for an animal based rehab facility. By animal based, I mean something on a farm type of setting or something with taking care of animals. I've been searching but can only seem to find facilities with animal visits. So far, my boyfriend thinks the best hope for recovery is work with something he likes, animals. Any input would be appreciated!
Hi Stressed,

I think its great your BF is thinking about what he needs & wants from a treatment center. There are a lot of options these days, and I personally think its best if people are able to tailor treatment. Keep in mind, prices for rehab vary, and sometimes it goes along with what services are offered. My husband was in rehab for 3 months. His rehab did use therapy animals, but I don’t think it was as intensive as what you guys are thinking about. For example, they would go out and spend the day horseback riding through trails, but the horses did not belong to the rehab. They were not responsible for their overall care. We are on the West Coast and there seems to be a lot of equine therapy out this way. I know many rehabs also allow patients to bring a pet with them. I did a quick google on drug rehab/animal therapy, equine therapy, and here are a few I found:

Michaels House Drug Rehab
CottonWood Tucson Drug Rehab
Tiger Mountain Recovery
English Mountain Recovery
Cirque Lodge
Sierra Tucson Drug Rehab
Promises Drug Rehab (wolf)
Recovery Ranch Drug Rehab
Touchstone Ranch Recovery Center
The Meadows Drug Recovery
Quiet Creek Farm Drug Rehab