night in pieces

Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

night in pieces

another night of 1001 morsels of sleep..i so cannot WAIT to be living on my own again. ABF will move out but only mid-december, and i am counting the weeks. last night i woke up when he came to bed, then couldn't sleep for about 2 hours, then managed to fall asleep but was woken up a dozen times..i don't understand how somebody can yawn (and REALLY LOUD too) every 10 seconds and keep that up for at least 30 mins. then continuing to keep turning onto my side of the bed, so i have to push him back every couple of minutes, then tossing and turning the whole night through..

this happens almost every time he drinks, and the next morning i always feel like i was the one who stayed up all night drinking..i would sleep on the couch but it's way too hard, and waking up with a bad back is not really an option.

sorry to bend anyone's ears..i am sure most of you will have similar sleep trouble.

on a brighter note - just listening to "postcard" by mary hopkin - what peaceful music, seems to soothe all the pain away, at least for the moment :-)
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I was sleeping on an air mattress in another room before splitting with my A.

Hope you can get a nap today!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how frustrating having continuously interrupted sleep is!

My pain level from degenerative disc disease has been so bad lately that I'm waking up off and on all night long.

It sucks being chronically fatigued from the lack of good sleep.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I simply cannot with life with disturbed sleep
Maybe he could sleep on the couch?

You have my sympathies!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the tip pelican, i could give an air mattress another try. i remember i tried some cheaper ones a while back but the chemical rubber smell was so overpowering i could not go to sleep either. maybe some higher-quality one might be better though..

live, i have tried to ask him to sleep on the couch when he is drinking but he always 'forgets'. he agrees while still half-sober but then always comes to bed in the middle of the night anyway. no actually i remember him sleeping on the couch a couple of times after all, but i think that was due to passing out on it rather than deciding to sleep on it.

it will be another one of these nights tonight, he's usually binge-drinking for 3 nights in a row, then has a couple of days break.
weekends are no longer a source of relaxation but of dread and insomnia.
but i can see light at the end of the tunnel so just have to get my head round it for now.

i wish everyone a good night's sleep and peaceful slumber, wow to think i had once taken sleep for granted and now it seems a luxury..
Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When AH works days, I sleep on the couch in order to actually get sleep, he "refuses" to sleep on his recliner anymore. I love the nights he works swing or graveyard, because then I get the bed to myself(well, about half the time for the swing shift). And graveyard shift, I've started leaving during the day if he starts drinking when he gets home.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

No man is worth my sleep. Glad he is leaving.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

surely, there must be a solution here.

what about making a wee nest on the floor? when i first moved to my new apartment, i didn't have a bed but i took all of the little carpets, piled them ontop of each other, pushed it up against a wall and slept that way for a few weeks, with my pillows and covers. it was cozy and comfy.

do you have a second room you could set up camp in? a guest room or maybe an office? you could always just buy a cheap single mattress and put it on the floor, if so.

my xABF used to wake me up 20 times a night, as he was always getting up to have a cup of tea and a cigarette. i moved into the guest room. that helped enormously.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel your pain - I spent many a night kept awake by the snoring, thrashing, sweating and worst of all the stale booze smell. UGHHH GROSS. Towards the end I bought a new bed for me and put the old in the spare room. He slept in there... much better. Try the air matress again - some of the nicer ones are not too bad and the smell does go away in time. Hope you get some quality rest soon !

Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Febreze?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for your suggestions. well we only have 2 rooms, bedroom and frontroom, no guest room. also no carpets of any kind as all the floors are lino. but yes naive it does sound quite cozy what you used as a bed.
i think i'll just have to try the air mattress option again..

live i never tried febreze, only a non-brand version, and that was just as chemical as the air mattress ;-) maybe febreze is more natural?

lola i like your signature by the way, had to read it a couple of times before i got it
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
Maybe he could sleep on the couch?
This was my solution but I don't live with my ABF. So if he chose to drink at my house I made HIM sleep on the couch. Not sure if this would be an option for you.

Hope you get better sleep soon! It is so hard to function when you are not well rested!