Notices

Somebody Tell Me

Old 10-30-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somebody Tell Me

Somone tell me that you can get srtaight but loose everything that was dear to you... wife, half of everything you ever had, feel lonley as hell, still want the love that is lost, and lamenting constantly...that they have come thru and are happy and clean....
I am close to three months clean and I'm begining to think if it were not for my grief and being distracted by my situation I very well could have relapsed. Is it possible that being pre-occupied by loss and divorce that I'm so distracted I don't want to get high?.....What happens when (if) this all fades away and and life is peachy again....Whoa!....Thats when I think I have to start batteling. Right now I'm fighting one big battle against loss and loneliness so I'm distracted from the real issue...addiction.

So somebody tell me that you can put behind all you loved and stay straight and be happy again....somebody tell me.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that for me, fear of my poor health kept me sober in the early days.

But, you're right, the negative feelings can only work for so long. Then you need to start finding new ways to cope with life's ups and downs. That is how you will find long-term sobriety. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to learn to stay
in today and not think
about the yesterdays
because they are gone
and will never return.

Tomorrows, we don't
know or ever know because
they may never get here.

I remind myself, why
waste a minute of worrying.

As long as I stay in today
and focus on just what's
in front of me then staying
sober today is alot easier.

I learned how to stay
sober first with the tools
and knowledge handed
to me from the very
beginning.

Then other issues i would
deal with later. And I have
because of a solid recovery
foundation I built in early
recovery.

One u have that then
dealing with issues will
be better to handle
without drinking or
using.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there HL....It does get better. I had a rough time through my divorce as well but once it was over and behind me I was able to focus on me and what I needed to do to live a positive healthy lifestyle.

I assure you that drinking will only take you to an extremely dark place. I know because I did that and many times ended up in the ER and developed anxiety and began having panic attacks.

Stay the course and keep on with the support. You can do this my friend and there is an amazing life in sobriety and after divorce. I assure you
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

When I first got sober, the **** hit the fan and stayed that way for a good bit. I mean overdrive dramatics and pain and heartache and the thing I kept thinking is that the LAST thing I needed to pour on top of this mess was alcohol.

I also wondered if there would come a time when things were good, would I return to alcohol in the good and peaceful times. I really worried about that.

What a waste of brainspace that turned out to be.

I am so happy right now and things are good, though never perfect and I don't want them to be. I now think that the LAST thing I need is to pour onto this peace is alcohol.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! I know that happiness is a much bigger trigger for me than sorrow. It was easier for me to get through the death of a loved one sober than experiencing joy without wanting to add booze to the mix. But it is doable ...congrats on your sober time...sending happy thoughts and prayers to you.