20 months on

Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 months on

20 months since my brother died and finally I have sold his house (subject to contracts and all kinds of confusing legal stuff!)

I never thought it would happen, I only have control of half the house. Because it technically belongs to Joe his mum left her share of it to him in a trust, and the batty Aunt holds that part so to a point can control what happens to it.

For 20 months I've looked after that house, kept it clean, emptied all the stuff out of it, checked the post, cleaned the windows so it looked nice, sorted all the insurance and repairs, I even fixed a wall outside with my own bare hands lol, and secured the locks when the garage was broken into.

I sorted out the estate agents and a couple of weeks ago decide to change because we were getting nowhere. 3 days after changing agents we had a couple come for a viewing (did I mention I was doing viewings too?) They were so nice, young, 2 little girls a dog etc, they put in an offer a few days later.

I had to ask batty Aunt if she agreed with it, it was a really good offer, better than I ever hoped for in this climate.
She gave me some **** and bull story about not being able to accept it without asking her other two fellow trustees, who just happened to be on holiday (everytime I've needed something from them they've been on holiday, allegedly!) So, they're going to be on holiday for 3 weeks, allegedly!

I can't leave someone dangling for 3 weeks before I tell them if their offer is accepted or not!

Funnily enough, I was phoning my friend, who's name just happens to start with the same letter as these friends in my phone book, and my number is always witheld, and what do you know, I dialled the wrong number completely by mistake.
I just told them, Hi sorry, I dialled the wrong number (I really didn't need to say much more did I?)

Next day I got a call from nutty Aunt to say yes, the offer is acceptable to her. I asked her to put it in writing, got my solicitor to call her and ask her the same and away we go!

I just hope nothing major is wrong with the house, the offer was less than we asked but nonetheless a really good one.
And I need this to be sold for some closure.
It's just down the road from me, and I would love to see the house live again, I know it's just a house, but we all had happy times there once, I'd love to see others have happy times there now.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Yay! Good news!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is excellent news! Good job!
Maybe you can take a holiday now?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You should be proud of yourself and the way you conduct yourself.
We can choose to be true to ourselves no matter who we have to deal
with and you've done just that.

Sorry about the loss of your brother. I know it's been difficult for you to
have to empty and sell his house.