Notices

Newbie Checking In

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Checking In

Been lurking a few days and just registered to join the fun and games. Been sober 18 years and 5 days. (i.e. the first 18 years of my life plus last 5 days) I had a few decades in between these 2 time frames where I was a professional drinker, but recently decided that was not working out for me. At all.

Seriously, I have already got a lot out of what I have found here, and look forward to growing stronger with you all.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to see you, SK, welcome to SR!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard SK57
Looking forward to see you around

D
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome SK57
Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((SK57))!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This site will become your rock, you will get a huge amount of support.

Pleased you made the decision to quit.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...and thanks...your post made me smile:-)
Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the sober recovery family!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Welcome to SR. For me, I could not do it alone. Also, I'm coming up on 2 years on 11-10 and I've had long stretches where I didn't drink. For me, if I wanted to STAY stopped, I needed AA.90 meetings in 90 days for starters;

I'm impressed that you can do it on your own and ENVIOUS! When I got to AA 2 years ago and said I had periods of time I was sober, I was QUICKLY corrected and told that not drinking and being sober are two different things. I was so angry and offended! Now, I know the difference.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! Congrts on your decision and Blessings!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spirit08 View Post
Welcome to SR. For me, I could not do it alone. Also, I'm coming up on 2 years on 11-10 and I've had long stretches where I didn't drink. For me, if I wanted to STAY stopped, I needed AA.90 meetings in 90 days for starters;

I'm impressed that you can do it on your own and ENVIOUS!
Well thanks for sharing your experience, am glad that worked for you.

But I gotta ask what made you think I am doing this on my own ? Just the fact I have joined this board implies otherwise, to some degree. I made no reference to my recovery plan. Anyway was just curious how you came to this conclusion.

Everyone.... have a good Friday ! Got a fun outing planned with the wife today but will check in this evening.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are here. So why don't you share with us what your recovery plan is?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi SK welcome to SR, your 18 yrs and 5 days of sobriety made me LOL, think I'll have to readjust my 3 yrs to around 20 yrs...very cute.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi SK welcome to SR, your 18 yrs and 5 days of sobriety made me LOL, think I'll have to readjust my 3 yrs to around 20 yrs...very cute.
It's kind of a twist on what I heard our pastor several years ago say when he announced to the congregation he and his wife were celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss that day. His wife sputtered that in fact it was 25, not 20 years. His response:

"Have you forgot 1982-1987? I didn't think those counted" !

He was a hoot.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
Welcome, glad you are here. So why don't you share with us what your recovery plan is?
The central theme of the plan involves not drinking !

As far as how to best implement the plan, there are a lot of details to work out.

Seriously, at this point it is kind of a fluid thing. I am not expecting any one "method" to work but I am doing a lot of self-study and reading and talking and thinking and praying. Picking up ideas and thoughts and techniques that I think will work for me, from a variety of sources.

Specifically I am: 1) talking daily with a couple friends who have been down this road and are sober today 2) Reading a couple books, and using online resources such as SR 3) talking openly w/my wife about the issue 4) utilizing a few different journaling / note-taking techniques 5) making a conscious effort at improving diet and getting more exercise 6) Just spending time thinking. I guess if I lived in California I would be meditating, if a bit more educated I could ponder, more philosophical I could muse or reflect. But I'm trying to catch up and practice my thinking for now

Basically just trying to keep my head in the game.

Trying to understand how I got to this point, and making life "corrections" for lack of a better word, to make sure I end up in place other than where I was headed. So as a plan I guess it's going to be a fluid and dynamic one that will evolve as needed.

One of the guys I am talking with told me I was making it too complicated, there was one simple rule to follow. "Just do the next right thing" and it will all work out he said.

Trite, maybe.
Profound, absolutely. I think he might have nailed it.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome SK! Glad you are here and sharing. You have our support and there is much useful info and tons of experience.

Looking forward to the journey!