Made My First Al-Anon Meeting....

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Made My First Al-Anon Meeting....

My Therapist suggested I make a Al-anon meeting..I went on sunday. I felt out of place, but will continue to make this meeting a part of my program. I grew up in an madhouse. Im still suffering from the effects of the fighting, yelling, and screaming..It felt like a war zone.....Any suggestions?? ...Im Open to any...Thanks..Peter
Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As they say in the meetings ... "keep coming back!"
Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh man, it was tough when I first had to start uncovering and examining all that family of origon stuff...but in time it pays off very well!

welcome to SR! Please make yourself at home and I would suggest reading the stickies at the top of the forum
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I'd recommend reading 'Codependent No More' by Melody Beattie. Its like the codie bible - eye opening and helpful too. Stick around and keep posting.

I love your signature - I have a problem with 'should'ing myself too!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Clean,

My first meeting felt like a board meeting and I was one of three men in the room. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually more comfortable around women. Then I was told about a men's Al-Anon group. It was a completely different energy! I found that I really enjoyed being in the company of a group of men who had gone through what I was going through.

In most cities, there are lots of meetings. The one you found may not be the right meeting for you. You may want to check out some others until you find the one that resonates with you.

It will transform you!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Adult children of alcoholics or ACOA is another group that can help you too!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey all thanks for the comments. Hey SteppingUp I too was 1 of 3 men, but like 66 said I will keep coming back. I heard thats a good book book..lol Thanks for the inspiration Live. And finally Keepinon...I did check the website of ACOA and I bought their Big Red Book..Alot of great info and we have many meeting in NYC. Thanks All, Clean
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm as bad as I want to be...

I felt really weird the first time I went and kept thinking, "How is this going to help me?"
I wanted to learn how to manage my addict better, but they kept talking about managing myself! I kept thinking, ok, I am fine, it's him that has the issues. I was kinda mad when I left my first meeting thinking that it was just a bunch of women complaining about abuse. I was looking for empowerment and I wanted it right away.
Some reason, the more meetings I go to the more clarity I get and the better I handle my life.
I feel you on the first meeting thing though. Now I am kind of addicted to going since I feel so much better after going. The more I share, the better I feel, and the first time I did not share at all because it felt awkward. I realized that a big part of meetings was about verbalizing emotions. Just my 2 cents.
After I started sharing people started reaching out to me and I started getting some support and advice.