Notices

Why is it?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it?

Why is it that drinking alone is a serious indicator to alcholism?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Yeah, as an alcoholic, I never understood that one. Of course I drank alone -- I lived alone. Why would I wait to be around other people just because I wanted a glass of wine to relax?

Normal drinkers have no need for alcohol outside of social occasions. It doesn't interest them. The alcoholic brain has no basis for understanding this, because when wouldn't we be interested in drinking? Stupid rule, right?

Drinking alone on a regular basis is a sign that you don't drink like normal people. It's certainly not the only symptom of alcoholism, but usually people who drink alone (or who want to drink alone) have a few of the other symptoms as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand better now. Thank you for your insight.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

For an non-alcoholic drinker, they have their several drinks, start to "feel it," then stop...or slow way down. They don't like what the alcohol is doing "TO" them.

As an alcoholic drinker, I drank for the effect produced by alcohol. It does something "FOR" me. It changes my perception of reality. It makes the world "seem" different - more friendly perhaps. It also changes my outlook on life - I became a "deep thinker" when I was half loaded... suddenly able to figure out great problems. I was filled with power and finally felt "right."

So, a non-alkie would have their drinks to "loosen up," because booze DOES reduce one's inhibitions, then not need to keep going. An alcoholic doesn't need just the "loosening up" ......they need to feel "right" about themselves and the world around them....and they need that feeling whether they're in a social situation or all alone at home.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR newcomers Forum

I read your posts in Friends and hope
your man has decided to finally quit.

You might find this interesting......
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
While I did not do all the symptoms listed
above.....I am an alcoholic who did give up
in early Chronic.....
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In simple terms it's because it strips every other element out of the experience and it's basically just purely used a drug, no more no less. I used to nail my drinks in one alone and I may as well have been injecting them, basically I was just using alcohol as a pure drug to give me the desired effect. In my experience most people don't view alcohol as purely a drug to get them to where they want to go to. Even when i was drinking around others from a young age then I was using alcohol as a pure drug, I used to wait for the buzz after 3-4 pints and feel the euphoria of the alcohol and then I'd be where I wanted to be at and ready to keep drinking and drinking until I woke up the next morning not rememebring how I got home etcetc.

I used other drugs in the same way too, particualrly cocaine, the majority of my cocaine use was alone by myself. Even if I was with others then i would just look forward to holing myself up and really chasing that high alone.

I'm an alcoholic and an addict.

Peace
Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to escape and isolate, unhealthy behaviors indeed.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by lb6493 View Post
Somewhere along the line, most of my drinking buddies got married, had kids and stopped going the bar like I did. The few that remained either got institutionalized up or toe-tagged. Then my wife left me and it was only me and my old buddies;

Bud W
Jim B
Jonny W (Red & Black)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can really relate to what DT and Neo said....it was the "high" I was after. If peanut butter worked, I would have overdone that as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not the drinking alone that makes you an alcoholic, it's the alcoholism.
If a couple like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner every night, does that make them alcoholics? Not really.
Now if one person is living by himself and does the same, have 1 glass of wine with dinner every evening, does he become an alcoholic only because he's alone? not really.
If he finishes a bottle of wine every evening, that might be a serious indicator. It's not the alone part, it's the quantities, and the reasons for drinking.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lb6493 View Post
The term "social drinker" means something...didn't just come outta nowhere. I drank alone mostly for the last three years of my drinking.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR lb6493

When I drank alone it was for one purpose and one purpose only - to get wasted.

I came to prefer that over drinking with my friends - I could do what I liked and drink as much as I liked without worrying about 'how it looked'.

Maybe it's the same for others, I don't know.

I hope your bf finds his way to recovery, but I also hope you look after yourself in all this too - it's very important not to lose sight of what's good for you.

D
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I don't think everyone who has a glass of wine at home by themselves is an alcoholic, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if most alcoholics prefer drinking alone at some point in their drinking career. I agree with Dee - since I knew I was drinking to get the full "effect," I also knew I wouldn't be fit to drive. I also didn't like having to crash at someone's house in my clothes or feel dizzy or sick while among other people. Just too many hassles.....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank alone because I didn't want anyone to know HOW MUCH I drank.
Being alone isn't safe.
We are hiding.