How do I know that I really "get" step one?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I know that I really "get" step one?

What are some examples of this? What would indicate I'm ready to move forward?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know - Maybe if you try the next step and it's really hard? ... then you aren't ready.

I'm wondering if you can keep going back to step 1 for different reasons... i.e. right now - i'm there for an entirely different circumstance than I was 2 years ago.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a recovering RA, I found as I went thru the steps that many of the steps had to be redone. I kept having to do step one admit I was powerless and also step 3 handing it all over to my hp. I am really good at hanging onto things that aren't mine to keep. So I have to constantly admit to step one Again because of this and this is very very normal in recovery to go back over it. Even when a new crisis hits, it's back thru the steps many times to surrender. And with surrender comes acceptance and peace.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I often call it the recovery waltz as I revisit some of the steps in my life over and over again. One-two-ten seems to be my favorite variation.

I knew I was "getting" step one when I started to recognize more and more things in my life over which I was truly powerless. I stopped struggling so much with the people, places and things in my life that just weren't going the way I wanted them to.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone! I guess I saw the steps as a "check it off" sort of thing, but based on what you said, it's okay to see it more fluid - with back and forths being okay. Crazy as it sounds, that helps a lot because I know I've conquered some of the other steps, but keep finding myself back at step one, then feel like I'm failing the whole process. I need to buckle down and just keep at it. THANKS!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The steps have no time line.
Take your time....if you feel ready to move on.....go for it.
You can always go back and revisit the previous step.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fluid v check off list

I like that! Makes it clear for me to understand. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have a sponsor?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am totally lost. I need to find a way to be at peace with my daughter's addiction. I understand I cannot make her quit drinking, but does this mean I cannot have a relationship with her at all? Sometimes I am not even sure I want a relationship with her.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PWisdom View Post
I am totally lost. I need to find a way to be at peace with my daughter's addiction. I understand I cannot make her quit drinking, but does this mean I cannot have a relationship with her at all? Sometimes I am not even sure I want a relationship with her.
I had the same thoughts as you. Someone here recommended the book: "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie that taught me the idea of loving detachment.

I think if you post in the Friends and Family of Alcoholics or Friends and Family of Substance Abusers forums you will get more replies faster than in the study forums.

Take care.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I practice Step 1 everyday, every minute of my life, and will do so as long as I live. In order to do any other step, Step 1 is essential to do over and over again. It's a way of life. (It has so much more meaning, depth, significance/beauty than the first time I worked it many years ago.)