need help with a letter to court

Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help with a letter to court

Hello all. My cousin who was my best friend growing is a heroin addict. He recently was arrested and is being charged with felony drug posession. His lawyer is fighting for him to be able to go to rehab vice prison. I was asked to write a letter to the court on why i believe that he should be allowed to go to rehab vice prison. I would like to hear some inputs on this. Here it is:

To whom it may concern,

My name is Justin W, cousin of Nicholas W. I would like to explain to you why I believe that is in the best interest of everyone that Nicholas be allowed to return to rehab instead of prison.

I would like to begin by telling you a little about the history of Nick, our family, and me. It is true that addiction is a problem that has consumed a lot of our family. As a child, this affected Nick and I a great deal. My father was not around for the first several years of my life because of drugs. Our uncle died of an overdose of crystal meth. We also have another Aunt and Uncle who are overcome by addiction.

As children and into our teens, Nick and I were very close. We were much different from the rest of our family. We are highly intelligent, motivated, and caring people. Our personalities were almost identical. We recognized the effects addiction had on our family, and we vowed to change it.

Unfortunately, Nick fell victim to this horrible disease. Addiction took over Nick and caused him to do things that he would never do sober. This is why I believe we need to look at who Nick was before addiction, to determine the action to take with him. Before he was an addict, Nick was everything I said above and more. I think that the best evidence to the kind of person Nick was, is that he was elected as student body president his senior year of high school.

Nick’s peers chose him for that position because of who he was and what he represented. Nick is an extremely caring person. If someone is not feeling well, he will do everything in his power to make them feel better. He reaches out to everyone, regardless of who they are. He isn’t judgmental. He can make anyone laugh. Everyone is happy when Nick is in the room. He cares about his family. He is motivated. He puts 100% effort into everything he does. Overall, Nick is a great person.

Jail is a system used to protect society from people. Society does not need to be protected from Nick. Society needs more people like Nick! Unfortunately, Nick is not himself right now. He is sick. People do not go to jail to get better. They go to treatment. This is why we need to give Nick a good rehabilitation program. We do not need to lock him up; we need to help him get better.

Rehabilitation is not the end of this disease. Nick needs a good, healthy, sober support system. I have agreed to let Nick come live with me in Seattle, WA. I will help him with his sobriety by living a sober life with him. The northwest provides an abundance of activities that promote sobriety. There is skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, and numerous others. This will allow Nick to return to society in a new environment, with people who are supportive to sobriety and not detrimental to it.

To tell you about myself, I left Kansas City, MO six years ago to join the United States Navy. I made that decision, because it was important to make something of myself. I am finishing up my commitment to the military now and will soon be attending University of Washington to get my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I’ve learned a lot about how to establish myself, and I can relay those lessons to Nick. I hope you allow Nick to go to rehab, so that I may guide and support him to a new lifestyle. We as society need Nick back. Please allow us to have him back.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think that's a pretty terrific letter and Nick sounds like so many of our loved ones here, a good person who made some bad choices and are now paying the consequences.

Just a suggestion, rather than have Nick live with you when he gets out, perhaps a sober living house might be better for his recovery (and your sanity). I say that because many of us here found that once through rehab wasn't always the "cure" and many addicts relapse many times before embracing sobriety for good.

I know your intentions are good, and Nick is lucky to have you for a friend, but if you read enough threads here you will see that "we" are not the solution to their addiction. That takes a lot of work on their part and living in a recovery home might just be a healthier choice for both of you.

Whatever you decide, please know that we're cheering you on...and Nick too.

Hugs
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DLogic, You did a great job with that letter. Is this Nicks first offense? Or were their many arrests before? This is important because if they are holding him, he had to have been arrested several times before on the same charges. And if it's a pattern with him,it will be more difficult to sway the judge. I don't want to sound cruel, and jail is an awful place to be, but sometimes it's exactly what is needed to get the addict off of that heroin. If they are locked up, they can't get the heroin. It's what saves their lives.
Heroin is a very powerful drug. As sad as this sounds, only 1 in 100 stay clean when it comes to heroin. I was going to help you phrase your letter, but you seem to have the ability to write beautifully. I hope and pray that Nick gets rehab instead of jail time. Sometimes jail is a blessing when it comes to a drug addict. Nick sounds like a great guy, and most addicts are good people, with kind hearts. It's a shame that their brains are sick and controlled by a substance. Keep us posted and let us know how Nick makes out. Listen to Ann's advice and let Nick go to sober living. You might think he will be alright with you, but trust me, that drug is calling that boy. He needs to be with other people that are going through the same stuff, and others that can understand him, when he is ready to run. I'm always praying for the struggling addict, and Nick is included. My heart goes out to every addict and loved one that is affected by addiction. It's a tough disease that causes so much pain and suffering. Not only for the addict himself, but for those who love him. God Bless. You sound like a great cousin.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Nick is a lucky guy. I do have to support Ann's suggestion of a sober living thought.It would put Nick more in charge of his sobriety but be monitored (and not by you). Beautiful letter.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I will be sending the letter soon.

As far as Nick goes. They let him go to rehab over jail. His girlfriend was there as well. She failed a drug test. Nick got very upset and ran away. He had just started though, and wasn't sober yet. Now that he has been in jail for 2 months and not suffering as badly from withdrawals, they are trying to get him the chance to go back. He is acting like his old self now and seems very commited to sober living. The program is a 6 month program and I believe it includes some time in a sober house.

About 2 years ago, he got sober for 6 months. He did it by himself. His mom tells me that he was trying very hard to get away from Kansas City where he lives now, but had nowhere to go. I was deployed at the time and did not know. Unfortunately he began hanging out with the same people again and relapsed.

After he goes through a real rehabilitation program and sober living, I really want him to come up here with me to get him away. It would no be forcing him. It is something that he wants. Between his friends and the fact that most of our family are addicts, it is almost impossible for him to stay sober there.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DLogic,

You are going to have to get educated yourself. I know your family has the disease, but with an addict, I think you are gonna need some military style rules.
It either is or it isnt.

Remember, you need to take care of yourself. Take very good care of yourself.
6 months and a sober house it great.

Good luck to Nick. I hope he has the strength to do it.

Beth
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes a geographical move is good. It was for me, and it was necessary if I didn't want to get killed by a psychotic, violent husband at the time.

However, if he's not solidly committed to recovery, the move won't matter in the end.

Heroin addicts have a high rate of relapse.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

DLogic, One thing that I have learned is that geography doesn't really hold alot of weight when it comes to staying sober. I am sure there are drugs where you live too. It's up to Nick. You can put him in a heroin infested environment, and if he is commited to sobriety he won't get high. You can move him to the moon, and if he wants heroin, he will hop the first space ship to find it. I agree with a change of environment. Don't get me wrong. But, remember, it's up to Nick. He's lucky to have a cousin like you in his corner.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wicked, that is actually one of the reasons I came to this forum. I want to get as educated as I can. Nick was one of my best friends growing up, and I want to make sure that I give him the proper support. I also understand that I can't help him unless he wants help himself. From our conversations, I believe he really wants help. I'll definitely think about the military style rules. I actually got a good taste of that myself and they can actually help anyone. So I'm sure they can be even more effective for an addict.

Freedom, I believe he is commited, and he wants this move more than anyone else. He wants to meet new people and develop a new support system. I already have that here and I know that my friends here would help him and support him. I've surrounded myself with great people and I think that would be extremely helpful for him.

Angelic, I understand that if he wants it, he will get it. However, it doesn't make things easier when you are around it. The change of environment is a motivation factor as well. I know that the last time he relapsed, he was really down on himself. I want to help him rebuild his life and see that he can still go far in life. He is only 24 years old. He just doesn't have the right people back home to help him with that.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DLogic
As long as you maintain the great perspective that you have and allow your cousin to work his program and own his recovery, a new environment may allow him to reinvent himself....sober.

I wish the best for him and will keep him in my prayers. He is lucky to have you friend/cousin like you.

gentle hugs
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, his court date was today. He got 32 months in prison followed by 12 months probation. He's already served monthsand can get 20% knocked off for good behavior, so he is looking at about 19-20 more months.

Does anyone know what kind of programs they offer in prison to help addicts?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think most prisons offer AA/NA meetings. My son knows some people who went in addicted and came out clean and sober and stayed that way. I'll pray that your cousin takes advantage of any program offered.

gentle hugs
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got to talk to him today. It was the first time I actually got to talk to him. He said that the reason he turned himself in is that he really wants to get better. He said the withdrawals and almost gone. He's working on his spirituality and getting in good shape. He was actually looking pretty jacked with how much he's been working out. It was nice just to be able to let him know that I'm here for him. He said that's all he needs is to know that people love and support him.