Notices

Sober Anniversary.. HELP!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sober Anniversary.. HELP!

Today is my Wedding Anniversary and I have no idea how to celebrate it! We don't have much money so already we need a cheap romantic way to celebrate. Can't have a romantic at home dinner because my mother is here and the kids running all over.

I thought about a movie? I'd rather stay in for one but then what? I could get a bottle of sparkling cider/wine? (non alcoholic) Being in this newly sober fog I can't even think straight, and my head hurts already.

Some ideas? They are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eremc08 View Post
I could get a bottle of sparkling cider/wine? (non alcoholic)
I wouldn't recommend anything even resembling alcohol, as you have had recent slips...why risk triggering another.

My suggestion...go out for dessert, or ice cream; if there is a coffee shop nearby, they usually have sweets. I think more important than what you do, is that you spend it together, thankful that you have each other.

Congrats on the occasion!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm.. I'm not a dessert person. There is a great cafe in our town we could eat outside and have coffee. Great idea! Thx
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, stay completely away from anything resembling alcohol at this point in your recovery.

Ice cream rocks!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first anything after getting sober was uncomfortable for me.

Get her a nice card, a flower... Look her in the eye and tell her you are beginning a life life without alcohol... it's uncomfortable at first... you are in a fog, as you put it... renew your commitment to her and ask her to patient with while you learn to be all you can be... and then wish her a happy anniversary.

Weather permitting, take her for a walk... city street or country lane... It's about time together... and so be there, ya know?

Then go get recovered.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Erem and congrats! I am sure it will be a great night because you will be present for it:-) Not sure where you are and what your weather is like, but is there somewhere scenic to go for a romantic walk? Or maybe some place that is special to you both?

Have fun and enjoy each other!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL Mark...Erem is a her:-) Don't know if her hubby would like a flower but you never know:-)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
The first anything after getting sober was uncomfortable for me.

Get her a nice card, a flower... Look her in the eye and tell her you are beginning a life life without alcohol... it's uncomfortable at first... you are in a fog, as you put it... renew your commitment to her and ask her to patient with while you learn to be all you can be... and then wish her a happy anniversary.

Weather permitting, take her for a walk... city street or country lane... It's about time together... and so be there, ya know?

Then go get recovered.

LOL... I'm female
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really like the cafe possible ice cream idea. Nothing expensive just some quiet alone time for your spouse to spend together with no kiddos and of course no alcohol

Congrats and enjoy. It is the small simple things like time together that matter most.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, and I hate flowers for occasions. I only like them when it's "just because" :P which he did last week for me. Grabbing some coffee and sharing a light dinner will be nice. It's gloomy and damp out but I like taking walks when it's like that, plus the scenery of the fall colored trees is my fav!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Get him a nice card and wear something sexy...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As Mark expressed, the first <everything> after I got sober was difficult.

Idea #1: Is there a romantic park or beach where you live? How about a lover's lane? Pack a picnic (even if it's bologna sandwiches) and go there. You'll get a few hours away from Mom and the kids, even if it ain't an evening in Paris.

Idea #2: Go walk around the grocery store and get full on free samples. It won't be especially romantic, but I promise you'll laugh a lot.

Sometimes, the romance is not what's important. What's important is knowing you'll stand by each other no matter what.

Happy Anniversary! I celebrated my 19th Anniversary yesterday. I think the month of October is the best month to get married.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
As Mark expressed, the first <everything> after I got sober was difficult.

Idea #1: Is there a romantic park or beach where you live? How about a lover's lane? Pack a picnic (even if it's bologna sandwiches) and go there. You'll get a few hours away from Mom and the kids, even if it ain't an evening in Paris.

Idea #2: Go walk around the grocery store and get full on free samples. It won't be especially romantic, but I promise you'll laugh a lot.

Sometimes, the romance is not what's important. What's important is knowing you'll stand by each other no matter what.

Happy Anniversary! I celebrated my 19th Anniversary yesterday. I think the month of October is the best month to get married.
Happy belated Anniversary to you! The closest beach is 45 min. away, and it's raining lol.. If it's still raining later, we might just to see a movie. Sucky weather!!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Heartfelt talking in the Park or a walk holding hands is very romantic. I love connecting on an emotional and spiritual level.

Grab a blanket (or a few); a flashlight and go for a walk and find a spot to sit down and talk about meaningful stuff and hug and kiss. Congratulations!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AAudrey

RED is really funny and exciting!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spirit08 View Post
RED is really funny and exciting!
We actually want to see that!! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you and Hubby have a wonderful anniversary eremc, whatever you do.

D
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We had a nice quiet dinner out. It was pretty amusing lol.. Our server was one of those "yippie yay" and bubbly types.. oh man was she funny to watch. It was a little much for my taste but entertaining nonetheless. Thanks everyone.

Oh! - and the place had a bar, and not even one glance over towards it! My hubby didn't order a drink either.. he wanted me to be comfortable
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I wouldn't recommend anything even resembling alcohol, as you have had recent slips...why risk triggering another.

My suggestion...go out for dessert, or ice cream; if there is a coffee shop nearby, they usually have sweets. I think more important than what you do, is that you spend it together, thankful that you have each other.

Congrats on the occasion!
I totally agree with this.....non alcoholic drinks are for non-alcoholics
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

congrats eremc! it sounds like you just did something totally normal (and really healthy for your relationship) - without making it all about the drink or lack of drink. Joyous posts!