Notices

New to forum

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum

Hello all and very glad I found SR site. I have just recently decided to stop drinking and need a little advise.

I have been drinking for about 25 years. I would say that for 20 of those years I was a "social drinker" with maybe a few binges every month or so. Alcohol caused very little problems in my life but I could clearly see it progressing in importance in my life.

For the last few years I have started drinking just about every evening. Usually about 750ml of wine each night, sometimes a liter. One year ago I lost an excellent job I had for over 18 years. The company just folded and I have not been able to find full time employment.

So for the the past year I have been drinking about 1.5 liter of wine just about every day. Sometimes more... It has developed into a problem in my life and I want to stop.

Since I lost my job I have no health insurance (more important to pay the regular bills and mortgage and try and keep my home?).
Anyway, given my level of alcohol intake (1.5 liter wine/day) and generally fit
guy of 48 years/ 200 lbs. Do you advise some kind of detox? before stopping cold turkey? Any advise would be appreciated as I try to start this new journey..

Last edited by crashin; 10-26-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, detox is always the safe advice... it's different for everyone... talk to your doctor if you can... get a plan.

Welcome to SR!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At the rate you've been drinking it would be a good idea to have medical help in getting thru the w/d. Alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous so it's good to have help getting thru them. If you can't afford to go to your doctor, maybe a visit to the emergency room if any problems arise... altho given the high cost of ER maybe cheaper to see your doctor.

In our alcoholism forum there's a 'sticky' called quitting, what to expect, lots of our own experiences at going thru alcohol detox. Very useful info there.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

It is a good idea to drink lots of fluids, water, juice, gatorade, and to rest if you can't sleep. Easy foods too, if you can eat, like soup or broth or toast.

Do you have a plan for staying sober? AA or another recovery group, counseling, outpatient therapy? Support is vital in recovery.

I wish you all the best and welcome you to the best recovery site everywhere!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will read through the "sticky" quitting.

My "plan" is to stop cold turkey on November 1st. Until then I will try to reduce my consumption.....so hopefully the withdrawals will not be too severe. I am also planning on trying to incorporate more exercise into my routine and as a substitute for drinking.

I don't have much of a support system. I have been pretty isolated and depressed since losing my job. I have been reading a lot about AA but not sure it is for me.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not gonna push AA... it's there if you want it... but, I just don't know how anyone can know anything (important and unbiased and real, anyway) until it's been tried... We are comin' up on the holidays, so some kind of support system would be nice... especially bein' jobless and all... some smiling friendly faces can go a long way on these shorter colder days
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, some smiling faces would be helpful I have not ruled out AA. This is the first time I have ever been serious about quitting so this is a new process for me.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best Wishes Crashin, and welcome to SR. I can only tell you my story. When I decided to stop, I went about 3 weeks without drinking (had been drinking around 12-15 cans of beer a night at that point). I craved sweets for sure, and had trouble sleeping, but made it on my own. Within a month or so though, I was pulling my hair out and needed help. AA was there for me and has been since. More than helping me stay sober, AA has improved my life beyond comprehension. SR is great also. For me at least, being able to talk with other people in the same boat was a lifesaver.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Jack. I am going to keep all options open. I realize it's going to be a tough road, especially given my current stresses (jobless, somewhat isolated).

All I can do is try... look for help if needed, and hope for the best. I am just so tired of how "soulless" alcohol is making me feel.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crashin View Post
I am just so tired of how "soulless" alcohol is making me feel.
BINGO!!!

This is what it's all about... and AA is all about changing that feeling...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Yes, alcohol will strip us of everything, including our souls. It's a relentless disease.

I hope you keep reading and posting and you will find lots of support here.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, that word pretty much sums it up. I use to enjoy a variety of hobbies and activities and people. I use to be a bush pilot and a rather adventurous soul.....now I am sometimes scared to answer the phone...jezz

It truly is scary how I have let friends go, isolating myself, losing empathy and emotional health. And it is not because I lost a good job. I realize its because of the drinking and I have to stop if I ever want to regain some of the joy I use to take for granted. Thanks for commenting everyone...I appreciate.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Crashin, welcome to SR, you've found a great place and there are plenty of people here to give you support 24/7 all you have to do is reach out. I wish you well in your recovery.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Crashin'
Hope the name doesn't come from your flying days! Ha!
I was isolated to the point of disappeared! I found AA to be good company as they are probably the coolest people you'll ever meet.
You sound like you have a lot going for you and this is a good time to NOT work as you can spend a lot of time and energy on recovery.
It is not easy and I was very emotional and exhausted!
Best to you and a hug.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

By the way,
the friends are still there waiting for you and will be glad to have you back.
My experience and one of the emotional things as there is this little thing called guilt..........AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I tried to quit drinking many times over the years. I once was sober for over 5 years; I just did it on my own with no AA. Then a couple of years ago I slipped, got up and slipped again, and again and . . . well, you get the picture. I ended up doing a short medical detox last spring because of the shakes when I tried to detox on my own. During my 3 day stay I was exposed to a bunch of other drunks and we had AA meetings and other activities scheduled for us each day. I basically hung out for 3 days with about 6 - 8 other drunks. What made this a profound experience for me is how close all of us became to each other in such a short period of time. The bonding that a bunch of strangers from all walks of life could feel in only 3 days was powerful. I left thinking that if I could find even a portion of that feeling in AA, than I needed to give AA a real shot.

I have since found that in AA, and have some meetings that I look forward to every week. I was in a meeting Sunday and a member described AA kind of like a food buffet, you take what you want or need and leave the rest. That works for me because not every aspect of AA fits for me. You might be the same. However, now I am involved in AA and use it as one of my tools to stay sober.

Yesterday for example, I had a tough day at work and was really angry with a co-worker. I decided to go to a meeting last night because I knew it would help and I always feel better after a meeting. Resentment is a trigger for me (as it is with a lot of alcoholics) and by dealing with it by going to a meeting and talking with people (and reading etc. afterwards) I can hopefully prevent my resentment from triggering me to drink that day or later this weekend.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Zebra, thanks for the insight into AA. I think that kind of connection with other folks would indeed be very helpful. I have become so isolated...I do miss strong human connections. I have very few now. I am going to research some local chapters. Thank you.

And yes Hollyanne, my handle was derived from an "incident" I had many years ago when I was flying (not alcohol related ) Thanks for you comments.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Crashin

I have to add my vote for seeing a doctor before you quit. It's simply in your best interests.

Many cities now have free clinics - google free clinics and your general area.

Whatever you decide to do, I know you'll find support here

Welcome
D
Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Salvation Army has free short term de tox centers
in many areas. That might be available to you.

You can read my de tox experience on the "Quitting" thread
I too had been drinking for many years before I decided to quit.
Heck...I was so I had no clue that withdrwal could be
so dangerous.

AA? It's given me a fantastic new lifestyle
Not as thrilling as my flying adventures were
but it's sure never been boring.
I plan to continue being connected forever.....

Welcome to our recovery community ...
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am lucky that a made an excellent income before the company collapsed so I have some savings. That with unemployment should last me about 6 more months? After that, without a good job...well guess I might lose the house, etc.

Seems like the consensus is that I should see a doc before I stop. Thanks for that, I guess i should.

Tonight not any better....about finished my bottle of wine...sad
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

CarolD...you an aviator too?