Notices

Alittle Q and A plz!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Alittle Q and A plz!

Alright so i have had a long run with opiates and just recently have hit a point of "Omfg what am i doing" I think mainly because my girlfriend and I are loosing our apartment and everything has just been falling fast so we decided to grab the bulls by the horn and grab some suboxone off a friend we started off at about 2mgs each for two days, then moved down to 1mg for two days and then jumped down to .5mg for three days. Today would be the sixth day clean but i kinda screwed us outta that one by going and getting a little heroin < which by the way is my opiate of choice. > I guess my question would be is this going to set me back dramatically? I mean i've been doing dope for like 8years now and been through so many recovery places and all things of that nature. I just kept telling myself that it would not effect me and i would be fine, i was feeling okay and feel okay now but i just want to know if this sickness will start anew now and i got the whole 7 or some odd days of this hell before i atleast physically feel better.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hob

We don't give out medical advice like that here, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do H tho, at any time.

I'd advise you to see a Dr - get yourself on a subs programme, not off the street - and work things that way.

Have you considered a recovery programme like NA or SMART - a little real time face to face support might help stop those little 'eff it' impulses?

D
Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HobGoblin, dude... you want to recover? With suboxone... It's not a paint by number DIY project, ya know? Gotta get some kind of help... and some serious willingness... maybe the threat of livin' on the street will help you find it... if it does... reach out, get help wherever you can... maybe NA, physician... others may have suggestions.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Definately see a doctor for help in getting thru the w/d. And lose the heroin. Bad drug. Very bad for you. Getting clean will open up a whole new life for you.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Plan for the worst. If given the choice between:

"This is much better than I was expecting"

or

"This is much worse than I was expecting."

It's an easy one for me.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

“Don’t let the learning from your own experiences take too long. If you have been doing it wrong for the last 10 years, I would suggest that’s long enough!” —Jim Rohn

Congrats on at least realizing that you've been doing it wrong for the last eight years.

I agree with getting help and ASAP if you really want to lick your addictions. Hob you said . . . "and been through so many recovery places and all things of that nature." Maybe this time will be the time, as all things of "that nature" will work when you are ready to accept them and make some changes that, until you are ready, don't think apply to you. Just those others.

You also asked:
"i just want to know if this sickness will start anew now and i got the whole 7 or some odd days of this hell before i atleast physically feel better."

I can't answer that as I am just a run of the mill recovering alcoholic, and I have a lot of changes to make and lessons to learn, but as with all addictions, it varies from person to person. I am expecting my physical aspects of withdrawal to take from six months to perhaps a couple of years before the changes physiologically that my addiction causede are no longer noticeable. But I also have to build new skills to deal with life, that my addiction used to have covered by making me not care, or just ignore. Might I suggest that you make a start by attending a a local NA meeting and sharing there with others that used the same opiates? As well, stick around here as much as possible in between. This is a wonderful resource for many of us that has so many people who have what we want, and are willing to share it.

While there is no quick fix, or easy way to stay clean and sober, and no one way that works for all, for me, it beats the endless cycle of self immediate gratification and self medicating against feelings and people.

Welcome to one of the best recovery resources, we are here for you. You can do it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey Hob!

It's been a few days since you first posted, but I've been so close to the place you talked about that I'm finding myself inclined to respond.

How are you right now?

I can only share my experience. I'm a recovering heroin addict (and alcoholic), a year and a half clean/sober. I had a 6 year day and night addiction to smoking H. My (then) boyfriend and I got lost in our addiction together, and we tried getting clean at the same time. He's still using, and I've moved on with my life. Being in a relationship with another addict can be really tough. As someone on this board described, it's like simultaneous suicide and homicide. I can't tell you how many times each of us got the other one using again. It's seriously a miracle that I made it out of there under those conditions. Things to consider, perhaps.

I know it's like a half-standard practice for lots of heroin addicts to try to wean off with subs or methadone. Often enough it's the addict's first idea to try to get off drugs with drugs. The fact is that I did the same thing. I guessed dosages with some methadone bought off the street, detoxed in 10 days from my bed and spent another two weeks healing off of that. It was not a professional approach, and I'm sure there were risks involved, but the only point I really have to bring from it is this:

I needed to get clean, and I needed to do it No Matter What.

If you posted looking to hear that there are other dope addicts who have gotten clean without professional detox or treatment centers, then you've found one. Not everyone is able to make it out this way. It sucked, it could have been dangerous and it could easily be the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm happy, alive and clean today.

No excuses -- if you need help detoxing, get it. If you have underlying medical issues, don't try it at home. If you believe in your heart you can't handle the mental obsession this time, seek help. It's a progressive illness -- if you keep doing it, it gets harder.

Standard opiate detox is not the same as with certain other drugs that more often than not *require* medical attention (alcohol and benzodiazepines riding on the top of that list) -- but the power of the obsession, anxiety and malaise through the beginning can be rough. Pray. Reach out. It will pass if you let it. This can really be the last time you ever go through this.

Will using heroin make heroin detox worse? Y-e-s. No more dope. Truly. How long will it take? It will take what it takes, but all of it will pass if you let it happen. Also, Suboxone is a drug. Methadone is a drug. Now that I can see that with the clarity of today, I wouldn't go near long term prescriptions for either one with a ten foot pole. Personally, I'd rather use a program than have another chain swinging around my neck. I would have the same reservations with treating a booze addiction with brandy pills, if you know what I mean. Maybe that's just me, and I'm just an addict.

People die from this addiction (and all addictions for that matter) all the time. Don't let it happen to you. Take a hand from those of us who have been just where you are, and accept a ticket out of the cyclone. I was sure I could handle my addiction alone -- until I realized I couldn't. I was also sure I could live my life after addiction without any help -- until I realized I didn't. I'm a true believer in the 12 steps. Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous have saved my life. I love my life today, the whole amazing adventure. Seek help. Please.

You're in my thoughts.

BLESS YOU for your desire to get clean. It's a miraculous thing. You've got a ton of love coming from my direction. We Do Recover. You never have to use again. You really can get free, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live. Find a meeting. Go today.

Enormous hugs and all my prayers.