Notices

Kudzu?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kudzu?

Hi, my name is AJ and I'm an alcoholic. To what degree I'm not yet sure, but as we all know this disease is progressive and I'd rather not get into the advanced stages. I've started down the difficult path to recovery, and I frequently question my strength. In doing so, I've been doing research online about medication that can treat alcoholism- both perscribed and OTC. I'd like to try the OTC treatments before I talk to a doctor (due to lack of health insurance). One link I stumbled across was

In this the doctor mentioned an herb called Kudzu, and I was wondering if anyone knew where a source of the extract he was describing could be located with the proper 3 amounts of "three key chemicals – Puerarin, Daidzein and Daidzin are essential in curbing your cravings for alcohol." I was apparently fooled, because I bought an extract that apparently wasn't what I was looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Dee74; 10-23-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry AJ - I had to remove your link as it was commercial. That's not allowed here.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Probably the best course is to ask the author of the blog/article - which I see you've done.
Hope the link he provided helps you.

We can't give out medical advice here either - I believe the safest thing for everyone is they consult with their doctor before embarking on any course of medication.

D
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Kudzu?

It's a weed....imported years ago from Japan?
in the southern US to stop soil errosion.
Also used to supplement feeding of cattle and hogs.
It grows all over the place...often burned as
it's a creeping pesty vine.

No way would I consider putting that in my body.

Welcome......

I think we make too much of cravings.
I went thru mine with little difficulty
and used nothing OTC or prescribed.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

I did a quick research of 'kudzu' and found the following information.....:

The Harvard Medical School is studying kudzu as a possible way to treat alcoholic cravings, by turning an extracted compound from the herb into a medical drug. The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain.

Kudzu also contains a number of useful isoflavones, including daidzein (an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent). Daidzin is a cancer preventive and is structurally related to genistein (an antileukemic agent). Kudzu is a unique source of the isoflavone puerarin. Kudzu root compounds can affect neurotransmitters (including serotonin, GABA, and glutamate.) It has shown value in treating migraine and cluster headaches.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those of us who put store in such things, that same blurb - with the exact wording - is literally everywhere on the net from Wikipedia on up.

There was a study - back in 2005, and it suggested simply, based on it's findings from a small group, that Kudzu may help some binge drinkers, not all, cut back, not stop.

They also tested a variety of commercially available kudzu extracts from stores and Internet sites - and found that none of them worked.

More work needed in this case I think.

Again, please do check with your physician or other medical professional.

D
Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I think the way to get through cravings is simply to get through them.

It's the process of sitting with the feeling that will make you stronger and know that you can do this.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

I would take a grain of salt with herbs and supplements.

I took a supplement that a well-known book recommended for easing post-withdrawal symptoms. A week later I was in the hospital after hurting myself during a psychotic episode (I have a type of schizophrenia.) The doctor who saw me said it was very dangerous for me to take what I took, and it might've triggered my episode.

Also the studies that go into herbs can be rather shaky. They're usually not deep clinical trials. Even the herbs you buy are hard to predict because whatever compound is in them that you want is not measured or dosed.

A lot of people criticize the pharmaceutical industry for being reckless and obsessed with profits (and that's my opinion too.) But in my opinion one shouldn't necessarily think otherwise of the supplement industry just because they are an alternative.

Just my two cents. I spent years working in vitamin shops and I heard lots of customers claiming life-changing results from what they bought. I also saw a lot of my coworkers violating the law by playing doctor with them. I am not entirely skeptical of everything out there, but I think too often the positive effects of these pseudo-drugs are over-blown by people trying to make money.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have some Kudzu. I honestly can't tell you if it works.

I have many many days without cravings without taking Kudzu. I have had some days without cravings while taking Kudzu. So who knows if it works at all. If it does work, the effects are very subtle. I would even say a placebo effect might be at work.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Everybody wants a magic pill.

Would be nice if there really was one, because everyone would successfully use it.

Kinda like diet pills....if they really worked, we'd all be skinny.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isiah and coffeenut make a lot of sense.

you have to be very careful with certain herbal supplements as they can also have contraindications with real medication. and you should tell your doctor exactly what you take so they can be aware.

just for an example, valarian which some of us use to help get to sleep should not be taken 2 weeks before any surgery as there is some sort of a reaction to surgical anesthesia....(i dont remember what but i think it makes it harder for you to come out of it).

also, herbal supplements are not all standardized so you sometimes aren't getting the true benefit intended, you are getting other parts of the plant.

i think that if you want to go the natural route, you should consult with a really good homeopathic doc.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

personally. i think all drugs suck, and those trying to sell them 99% have a vested interest in prophit, you have to be weary of all drug pushers legal or not!! jus my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh sorry about that, I guess I didn't realize that about links. Thank you for the reply though!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm not keen on medication as a rule, I was just trying to weigh my options considering my lack of health insurance makes doctor visits and prescriptions quite pricey. Thank you everyone for your input!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AJ......
Welcome back
Why not begin a new thread here in Newcomers
let us know a bit about you?

Then more members will see it and respond
Many of us are winning over alcohol...and so can you
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Way I see it, anything that really "works" or works in a way that makes a big difference would be spreading like wildfire. If someone really had a cure for alcoholism there'd be more than internet articles, you know?

I have found myself and heard from others that the most effective way of dealing with cravings is to just to find out what causes them, and by trial and error find out what actions and thoughts make them dissipate. Even cheaper than a trip to the vitamin store.