Notices

It took me a near death, now I'm back.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It took me a near death, now I'm back.

Hi All,
I have been drinking far too much for the last few years on and off. I have been thinking and trying to do something about it for as long I can remember. It has finally come to a head, as it where and this is it!!! I can not and should not drink ever again.......or else I will lose everything that is dear to me....When I look back at some of the situations I have been in it scares me so much. I just can`t have one drink, it always leads to more and more. I have been a total and utter fool. If anybody reads this you might well know where I am. I don`t expect any responce, just need to say it...I am slowly killing myself with drink and intend to stop now while i still am able to. It is going to be as hard as hell..but i need to do it for everyone around me..and more importantly me. I`d like to end in saying that there is a better, brighter and cleaner life out there for everyone. Good luck.

I wrote this opening passage in November 2007, I have not listened to anyone around me since then really. Spiraled out of control, getting worse and worse. Someone one once told me at a AA meeting that you will lose everything and eventually die from your addiction or recover. I came very close to the latter two weeks ago.....I am lucky to be alive. I have now seeked medical help and am seeing a councilor for my drink and drug problem. I have been drink and drug free for 9 days now. I am officially back to stay...........hello again guys and girls??
Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Windsurfer, hang in here dude, theres a lot of good ppl around here who genuinly understand your plight, your not alone freind, its tough but were all in the same boat together,were theres a will theres a way, those who never give up suceed, or die with the pride they tried there hardest...never give up.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Glad you're recommitted to living sober. It's so worth it.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Windsurfer,

I'm glad you are okay and that you have 9 days clean and sober.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back windsurfer
I'm glad you're here to tell the tale - congrats on the 9 days

D
Old 10-23-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hi windsurfer . . . glad to meet you. Congratulations on the nine days. Is that photo a wine rack with juice replacements? I ask because I've done the same with mine--darn thing is built-in. Welcome back and please keep posting to let us know how the coming days go . . .
Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Funny, Wind, when I was reading that quote from November 2007 and thinking it current, I was saying to myself, "It's not what you say. It's what you do!" Or as they used to say in the rehab, "He can talk de talk! But can he walk de walk!"
So, are you committed to "walk de walk" this time? Lots of luck on that and every good wish.

W.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you did not die....Welcome back.....
Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Congratulations on your sobertime, WS and good to see you back here..
Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome aboard Windsurfer, we are all on the same ride together, and all at the same risk, of actually getting it right, not wrong, I am only on day 31, and getting better all the time. I actually quit smoking 3 packs a day, and drinking alcohol. I still drink, just not alcoholic beverages.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Glad you have surrendered...Sadly I lost my 26 yr. old son to addiction this summer.

Go to whatever lengths necessary to recover and stay alive.
I know if my son had another chance he'd take it
Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you made it back - sending hugs and a prayer..... This really can be the beginning of a much better life!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WB,

It takes what it takes, for all of us. Glad you made it back.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey WS,

glad you're back. It took me almost dying to quit, too. But, soon as I was better I was right back at it. I know where you're coming from.

I now have 42 weeks sober. You can do it, too. Do whatever it takes, go to any lengths and you'll succeed.

Glad we're both among the living
Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all!!!!!so much.
I have recently been assessed by a substance abuse center and have been accepted for therapy starting on the 9th of nov. What seems an age away but they have a drop in center that I have been to daily. I am just so ashamed of myself and the things that I have done. I also think that "this time" I have been physiologically traumatized by the whole event. I honestly believe I will never be the same person again, mentally I mean. I have done lots of shameful things and I am also wracked with guilt for the pain I have inflicted on other family members. I am hoping this is all going to come out in therapy.
I can see how addictions can turn people insane, because if I was to relapse it would not be the thoughts of a mentally stable person.....I would be be certifiably mad.
Has it taken anyone else an event so traumatic to stop them drinking and abusing?
thanks for listening
Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wind I am glad you are back, sober and getting support.

I had one event that made me see the light in terms of quitting permanently. No moderation, cutting back but 100% abstinence from alcohol. It was when I accepted this that I began to build my foundation in recovery and seek out the much needed help that I needed.

I had years of self destruction and had become a person I loathed. I don't need to ramble about those days but I just was tired of it. I knew what I was doing, how I was living and the horrible quality of a person I had become. Alcoholism was destroying me and I knew it.

So it was essentially the life I was leading that brought me to wanting to quit and I did but it was my relapse that almost killed me that opened my eyes to the fact that alcohol had to be forever removed from my life. Just no way around it and I am blessed everyday in my sobriety.

Keep it going