Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

In Sobriety, good things come twice as hard, but with twice the satisfaction

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I hope this post finds you all well, and if not-I hope if helps your day.

At this point in my sobriety, I STILL continue to learn and grow every single day. Life every day when I wake up is a gift, and I am so grateful for where I am today, and all the experiences I have had, even though they have been tough.

One of the things I have noticed is that a lot of the stuff I used to do when drinking and using is a lot harder to do now-like it takes twice the work and effort. Thinks like how I perform at work and school, social events, exercise, sports, my memory, being able to analyze situations on the spot-I used to be a champ at this stuff when I was drinking. Or was I....? I think my mindset back then made it feel like I was awesome...because of what I was putting into my body. I never was on a level playing field.

Nowadays, I feel like I have to work twice as hard as I used to, so that I can even get sort of close to the way I used to feel about my successes in things. But you know what? I get twice the reward too. Being sober to me is good enough. But being able to do many of the things I used to do in a sober mindset is equally as rewarding. I feel like I am finally "taking my place at the table of life" to quote what I read in a book once.

Hard work applies to lots of stuff in life, and sobriety. But my God, is it rewarding!

I am so grateful to be who and what I am right now.

All the best
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Higby. Other than the social aspect I find everything else, work/exercise/memory/intelligence etc a whole lot easier in sobriety.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I haven't had a girlfriend since I got sober so I wouldn't know.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good for you HIgby!