Notices

The little things

Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The little things

I'm just realizing how many little things trigger the urge to drink. Wow! So many! Little things like watching Boardwalk Empire or other people's facebook statuses.

Sigh.

I can do this.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You definitely can do this Aurora - it gets easier

D
Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm counting on it getting easier. On being able to say "just for today" rather than "just for this moment"
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the beginning you do notice the little triggers, then it seems they all run together until just being awake is a trigger.
I've been sober for 1 1/2 yrs and found that it does get easier with time. Hang in there! One second, one minute, one day at a time!
Take care!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it starts with the right attitude and soon with the ability and willingess to recognize how these little things would have instigated a reaction, which would fuel an emotion, etc etc, and which would keep the hamster running. I know that I used to drink whether happy, sad or indifferent and gave myself the illusion of dealing with life through the drinking. (But there's a familiar phrase that goes "If you didn't feel, you didn't deal.") So we spend a long time feeding a justification machine during our drinking time. When we lift ourselves out of that pile of mess, we see all the various things that could have been fuel for the justification - on top of the compulsion to drink anyway. But the little things, in all their variety, change in how they appear to us over time after we quit, I think. And it starts with the atttiude that you can handle it bit by bit, in inches, not miles or mountains. And when it comes to One Day at a Time, there's something about it that works for me I don't know how to describe. I think I want to say that the following day is like a reward for the previous one. Everyone learns it their own way; maybe resembling other people with their experiences and of course learning from other perspectives, but they have to learn it for themselves.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't need a specific trigger, I drank for any reason or no reason at all.

And yes, it does take time. It was about five or six months sober when I realized I was getting few cravings/urges, and could identify them as ridiculous and illogical right off the bat. It was then I realized I'd lost the desire to drink. So be patient and stay strong, it does get better.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I echo Toronto's statement that "the following day is like a reward for the previous one." Early on, that's how I approached many days. My reward for not drinking was waking up the next day, without a hangover, and with a little more pride in myself because I knew I had made it through the previous day without a drink. And when I say my prayers in the morning, I always thank God for getting me through another day without a drink.

The first few days, I knew down to the hour how long I had gone without a drink. Then I was counting the days. I could tell you exactly what day I was on up until about 110 or so. After that I started measuring in months, and I assume if I continue along this pace I'll likely be speaking in terms of years. But it started very small, and it started with the faith that I could get through THIS DAY without a drink, and that always made me smile the next day. I liked that feeling and wanted to keep it going.

Hang in there, Aurora. I hope you're able to find something to help you in this struggle.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

But it started very small, and it started with the faith that I could get through THIS DAY without a drink, and that always made me smile the next day. I liked that feeling and wanted to keep it going.
That was beautifully put and expressed my feelings also.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great responses..... I can't add much, only to say that it was definitely worth waiting out the first several months until the urges started going away.

Some days, when it seems I couldn't shake it, I got the idea to mentally go over all the things that were right in my life and for which I was greatful. Things like: My children are healthy today. I have a roof over my head and something to eat. I have people who care about me. (You get the picture). It seemed to help quite a bit, as did prayer.

You're getting through it, so give yourself a pat on the back!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They are just small trigger that the brain sends, because it wants the alcohol.
Start thinking of all the BIG reasons, why you need to be sober.