Notices

Advice for a new person in the program?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for a new person in the program?

My name is Morgan, I just turned 26 yesterday, and I have been an alcoholic for 5 years. This was my last birthday drinking. I have hated life for the past year, hiding my alcohol abuse from friends, and family, which as any alcoholic knows, is pure emotional torture. The past couple weeks I broke down, confessed how bad my problem was to my friends and family, and broke down and asked for help. I was forced to face the fact that I was drinking a lethal ammount of alcohol a day, spending most of my money on it, had become recluse, and saw the effect it was having on my 3 year old. Everyday is a constant struggle, I'm forced to face new emotions that I havent felt in years. I have clincal depression anda severe anxiety disorder, and unfortunately now I have to feel it. While I am going to AA meetings, nights are pure torture because of my anxiety. My question is... does this last forever? or will the anxiety eventually die down? will i ever get my motivation back and enjoy life again?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't have all the answers you need, Wack...I do know that YES, it does get better. It does.

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

Elevated anxiety is pretty common in early sobriety, and for most people it does settle down substantially in a matter of weeks. If, after a couple of months, it is still troubling you, you can see about medication that might help. You want to see a doctor who understands addiction, so you will be given an appropriate medication that will be carefully monitored.

I found that anxiety I had been "self medicating" with alcohol was completely gone after a short time sober. Not that I never get anxious, but now it's only with a reason, like anyone else.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info. I am already prescribed xanax for my attacks, which I am already very cautious with. It scares me to have to take it more often since I have stopped drinking, but unfortunately until I get back on an anti depressant I am kind of stuck. This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and its very unfamiliar, so it is very reassuring to know that sometime or another I will feel comfortable in my own skin again.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Morgan

The first few weeks can be a roller coaster. I used alcohol to escape from bad emotions and to amplify good emotions, but without alcohol I had to learn new coping mechanisms/a new way of looking at life to progress. It took awhile to readjust.

That said, I can't comment on specific anxiety disorders. It never hurts to talk to a Doctor though.

Welcome to SR
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AAudrey

FEAR/anxiety you're feeling... yes?

Page 68 in the BB... We take our fears, we put them on paper (determine with your sponsor whether they're real or unfounded) then, we ask God to remove those fears and direction our attention to what he would have us be.
Alcoholics Anonymous...1st Edition

Find someone to call at night; after your meetings and stay on the phone until 10 PM 11 PM every night.

It works, it really does!

Last edited by CarolD; 10-19-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AAudrey

That's a NO to the xanax
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

The anxiety fades, yes. I've been taught there are two stages. The first withdrawal is the worst, but it lasts days or weeks depending on a lot of factors. Second, there's post-acute, which is much less severe but can last up to a couple years.

I hope that wasn't against the rules of medical advising here. Basically, it will fade, but only if you quit of course.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sure it will......if you're working on a solid recovery program.

I found myself in AA too.....and, so long as you're honest and willing to do the work in spite of not wanting to all the time, that stuff WILL go away. If you're the type of alcoholic the AA book describes, you've got a 3-part problem and working the program (the steps) goes after all 3 areas. It's hard at first.....but that's to be expected I guess. A total make-over of our lives is no simple task. BUT.....if you're willing to give it your all......I think you'll find, like millions of us did, that the person that emerges from the other side of the work is better than you'd suspect.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Only my experience, but I found that the anxiety got a lot better after several days. It took longer for my energy to come back. As everyone has said, though, it's different from person to person.

If you just stay focused on staying sober one day at a time (don't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow or next week), it will make things a little more manageable. We do need support, so coming here is a great start. And talking to a doctor always helps, too.

Glad you're here!:ghug3
Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not going to comment on the med issue, but my experience is that the anxiety got a LOT better after a few weeks and after I started working the steps of AA and got a good sponsor. Reaching out for help made a HUGE difference and connecting with a higher power all but removed my anxiety.

Good luck and welcome to sobriety. P.S. - I'm just a year older than you. We younguns can do this too!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

xanax and alcohol are not to be taken together...bad scene, that.

When taking one mg of xanax...it has the effect that one drink has the potentcy of 13.

That is way freaking dangerous.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Wackness,

This was my experience with Xanax: it was giving me "rebound anxiety." It was prescribed for me by my cardiologist for a very minor heart problem. I was taking a tiny dose once a day at bedtime. After a few weeks, I noticed I was getting a creeping anxiousness in the late afternoon. I called my doctor and he told me to quit taking the Xanax and gave me a small dose of beta blocker instead.

Please be careful with the Xanax. You might want to discuss this with your doctor. Welcome to SR. Sobriety is great!

Love,

Lenina
Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Wackness,

Like Lenina, I was prescribed xanax for heart problems and it didn't take long to build a dependency, then it made me as your name says, wacky to the extreme. I found getting off of it tough too, but I'm glad I did.

Anxiety to me while drinking was akin to being chained to railroad tracks and a huge train was barreling down on me and I couldn't get away. Those feelings have abated considerably these past six weeks without a drink and I feel tons better.

I hope you stick around, get off the booze and give yourself a chance to stabilize. It's well worth it.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Glad to know you are heading into a sober fture...

All my best to ou and your child
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

My only advice is to be completely honest with your doctor about past alcohol consumption and what your symptoms have been with the anxiety and depression.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm new......

Originally Posted by TheWackness View Post
My name is Morgan, I just turned 26 yesterday, and I have been an alcoholic for 5 years. This was my last birthday drinking. I have hated life for the past year, hiding my alcohol abuse from friends, and family, which as any alcoholic knows, is pure emotional torture. The past couple weeks I broke down, confessed how bad my problem was to my friends and family, and broke down and asked for help. I was forced to face the fact that I was drinking a lethal ammount of alcohol a day, spending most of my money on it, had become recluse, and saw the effect it was having on my 3 year old. Everyday is a constant struggle, I'm forced to face new emotions that I havent felt in years. I have clincal depression anda severe anxiety disorder, and unfortunately now I have to feel it. While I am going to AA meetings, nights are pure torture because of my anxiety. My question is... does this last forever? or will the anxiety eventually die down? will i ever get my motivation back and enjoy life again?
Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I dont really know what my relationship with alcohol is... but I do know that I drink in secret, so I guess that's not good. I only started drinking about five years ago, prior to that I didn't drink at all. It strarted with wine, just a couple of glasses, then I realised it help me to switch off from all the crap in my head, so very quickly a glass turned into a couple of bottles most nights.... I now dont bother with wine, I discovered vodka... I'm not sure if I am drinking an acceptable amount or whether its too much, I drink about half a bottle a night, but if I am in company, then I drink more..... Thank you for reading this.
Camelot x
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Welcome to SR, Camelot.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

90 meetings in 90 days
get a sponsor
get phone numbers of others, and call them
call your sponsor regularly
WORK THE STEPS!
get a homegroup
do service work(greet, make coffee, etc..)
read the literature
listen for the similarities and identify the shared feelings when others share in meetings
share with your sponsor/friends/in a meeting the exact nature of your struggles in recovery
daily spiritual practice(prayer, meditation, whatever)
exercise
proper nutrition
laughter
Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Camelot

D