Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Reasoning with an alcoholic! I know - there's no such thing...

Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, Hi all! I'm back here with a challenge after being gone for a while. I have been divorced from my AA for a while now and have successfully moved forward and am now engaged to a wonderful guy. I never thought I'd be here writing about what I'm fixing to write.. It's still sad...

As I went through my divorce - I moved in with my mother for security reasons. As time moved on, my mother was beginning to drink more and more often.. and harder alcohol. 4 years later, my mother is extremely sick and can no longer work due to her emphysema and has moved in with my Aunt and Uncle for moral support and company. The past 4 years have been hell! She's been extremely nasty to me and my boys during her drunken stuper. WTH! Go from being married to an A to living with my mother, whom I can't divorce, who is an A! I just can't believe this. My parents never drank.. EVER. My mother goes through about 3 5ths of Gentleman Jack a week. That's right I said 3!

My uncle called me earlier today to seek help on how to deal with her. He is now the brunt of her abuse...He wants to know how to help her. I sat there.. not knowing the answer. I always had better luck when it was first thing in the morning - explaining how I felt and how I did not appreciate or would not take the verbal nasty abuse from her and that I did not disrespect her like that... but he said that there is no first thing in the morning with her... she's drinking constantly.

How do we end up back in these places?? I'm sorry I really just needed to vent...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Suggest Alanon to your Aunt and Uncle.

Suggest this site to them.

Get them a copy of Co Dependent No More.

Hopefully from the above they will learn how to set their own boundaries.

I am glad things have improved for you. It is nice to hear from you.

Love and hugs,