Notices

I'm going to a meeting tonight.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to a meeting tonight.

I've had a real crapola morning. I think I posted a day1 post Sat, but had a drink Sunday. I keep asking myself, WTF?? So I guess yesterday was Day1, again. Today has really sucked. My house is a mess, my kids are driving me up the wall, my energy lvl is at 0.

I haven't really been able to take a shine to the whole meeting thing and maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with sobriety. There is a 7pm open womens meeting around the corner from me, and I'm determined to go. I hope it helps, I hope it's good.

Day 2!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

As the great philosopher George Costanza said....... ahhhhhhhh.........I'll let him say it for himself: (I've GOT to believe whoever wrote this part of the episode is in recovery - or at least have some experience with Step 1)

YouTube - George Costanza Does The Opposite

I know it sounds silly but this episode has actually helped me a LOT in recovery..... for real!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember, meetings and groups are different, so if you don't like one of them, try another. Also, for me anyway, one reason I didn't like a particular meeting was becuase they were talking about something I didn't want to hear
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aurora,

I'm glad you're seeking support.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Good luck tonight! I hope the meeting is a good fit for you!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

My recovery really took off when I realized that it was me who was getting in the way. It was my best thinking that got me here, so why in the world would I expect my same, sick thinking to help me recover? ...and what did I really know about sobriety anyway? My best thought was to try harder (looking back, that was pure insanity).

I needed a design for living and that is exactly what AA gave me. ...and all that for doing 12 simple steps. What a deal!

Kjell
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find a good meeting Aurora

D
Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I looked at the schedule wrong and it's actually a "closed step and tradition" meeting at 8, rather than an open womens at 7. Thankfully this is the one night of the week I have a sitter, so I can still go.

Thanks everyone for the support.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll try not to make the coffee too strong.....
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

And sometimes it's hard to jump right into the feel of meetings. Like any sort of activity it does take a bit of time to adjust to the sights and smells.

Definitely try new meetings too. In my community there's a huge range of personality.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Aurora80-

Just curious - how did the meeting go?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yeah, what did ya think? What happened???
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How'd it go? Come back and let us know!

By the way, don't worry about closed or open. . .if you are an alcoholic, you are welcome at either! Closed just means it is closed to anyone who is not an alcoholic. Open means anyone can be there.

Women's meetings. . .well, they freak me out! LOL. Hope it went well. . .
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you want to know how the meeting went...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rustrated.html
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Aurora,
My first meeting I went to the right place listed online, but I was on the wrong side of the building. All the doors were locked, but there was a pumpkin sale in the back so I walked around there. Saw someone that looked like he worked there and then tried to figure out how to ask where the AA meeting or if it was called off. I asked the guy if he worked there and he said he did so I asked him if he knew where the 4 PM meeting of AA was being held. He looked at me for a beat then said he knew of no meetings and the building was closed. Well it was a pretty big church facility so I figured I came that far I'd walk back to my scooter the long way and just check if there was anything open on the other side, and sure enough it was, and sure enough they were there! I lucked out and found a small great group most of whom are near or at my age with some younger and older mixed in. After the meeting where I got my silver intent 24 hour coin, one of them told me about another the next night Monday, and I declined, said I might be back next week. Monday came and I wanted to go but forgot what time and that meeting was not on the published list. Oh well I will see them next Sunday at 4 PM and now can take charge of the who what when and where (and the why is already answered )of my other meetings. I could just as easily, or more accurately actually wanted to just ride away and not have to ask and get that look. Now I am glad I did. I lived through it, no one ate me, and no took away my name. I just applied the same determination to let go and let it happen but do my work. No less than if I found the liquor store closed. I'd just find another when I was drinking. Nothing would discourage me from that pursuit, because it was for myself. Going to a meeting is also for me.

My point? The list can be wrong, I can be wrong, or just find myself on the wrong side of the church. I was willing to embarrass myself with a non AA stranger because I was determined to find it, and my HP led me right to it. Just relax, maybe your HP is trying to teach you something. Call them tomorrow at the main office and get some sure fire meetings they know are going on, and get to one. If you choose to.

Last edited by Itchy; 10-20-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Misspellings