Notices

day 3

Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3

I may have underestimated how hard this was going to be. spent my 20th birthday yesterday throwing up, doubled over with the worst cramp and feeling oh so pathetic, I'm not sure why I was so sick. For all I know it could be food poisoning, haha.
I didn't drink though, and now have 2 days without alcohol
zero without drugs.
I'm not sure, if it's 'okay' to quit one and not the other. I need to stop both, but..I don't know. Both at the same time, I'd want to die.
Does it defeat the point to quit drinking only to stay high? I feel like I'm breaking some kind of rule..I don't know, I'm just all confused and fuzzy.
I don't know.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, in my opinion it does defeat the purpose if you stop drinking, but are taking drugs.

Recovery is about learning to live each day without doing something to alter your reality. It's about learning to live life and deal with everyday problems without a substance in your body.

But, it is great that you have a few days without alcohol. Have you talked to your dr? I hope that you feel better.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would agree that if drugs are doing damage to your life like drinking is why not give them both up? Good for you on staying sober. If you get to feeling too bad please get medical help. And... happy birthday and hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others about drinks and drugs - to me it's the same leaky boat on that sea of crap, y'know?

hope you'll speak with a Dr though tinypeach - sounds like you're doing it tough.
Take care

D
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. 5 days now. I definitely want to stop both eventually, I'm just having trouble letting go i guess. I called a medical helpline just to check everything was going as it should. I don't have a dr. anymore, I just go to the big horrid clinic every few years when desperate.
I think I'm going to attempt going to a meeting today, there's one right around the corner from me. Which is terrifying so it may not happen, but yeah. Thats where I am atm. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

For me--using and drinking went together. I couldn't do one substance without it soon leading to the other. For my own personal well being, I had to quit both at the same time. A few days off booze is making progress, even if you haven't quit the other drugs just yet. Also, depending on what substances you have been using--and for how long exactly.....well, in certain cases you shouldn't try to stop on your own. Some can have very bad withdrawal symptoms and can be deadly (in certain cases.) Glad you are here. Cool that you even considered going to a meeting. Again, that is making some progress. Keep posting. Remember--you are not alone. We do recover.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

tinypeach,
The first meeting may seem scary, and you may some difficulty only because it is a very strange environment to be with real people who you can be your real self with, and talk openly and freely about your addictions. Outside of that room it is a secret, not talked about, shameful, and demeaning to say "I am an alcoholic/addict/user" out loud in a crowd!

In that meeting though you might just find a place where you can start being honest with others who will not judge you, because they have all been on the path you now find yourself following. And then start being honest with yourself about not being unique or different than the others there. They had no more strength or life than you do now before they got sober and gained every day in the skills to meet life with some sanity. For each it is different and I hope that you went to that meeting, and found at least a place to tie up until the stormy seas ease up a bit on the boat. When you look around then, you'll see we are all in that same boat, we just learned how to steer by the heavens, and gradually got our sea legs again.

How you do your own path varies a bit for each, but at least you are contemplating the big move and share. Talk out loud? Tell the truth?

Will you be a bit disappointed if you think you can lose them or us because of your past? You are heading in the right direction and we are here with you.

I am pretty new at this sobriety gig. It has its ups and downs, but is really nice a majority of the time. I am learning to be comfortable in my own skin, and that will come in time for both of us.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Hey was your birthday the 17th? Because that's my birthday too! But anyway...
Great job with the not drinking thing and I hope you made it to a meeting. They're not so bad. Once I get myself through the door I actually like them a lot. Seriously, the scariest part is walking through the door.