Notices

Some questions, and help.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some questions, and help.

I'm new to this, so, hello to all of you. I'm 27 years old, I live in Los Angeles, and have been drinking around 8 to 12 beers every night for I'd say about 6 years. My GF is actually in recovery and 2 years sober and I also would like to get some help myself. Her sister was killed by a drunk driver and although I NEVER drink and drive, it concerns me about my drinking because I can't even imagine two people that she loves dying because of alcohol. I understand there are many types of alcoholics and I have many friends that are right there with me when it comes to drinking every night. Having a GF thats also in recovery and hearing the stories of people she comes in contact with at meetings really makes me feel that I don't need AA. I don't drink during the day at all and im active everyday with my skateboarding. The only real reason I drink anymore is so that I can sleep, and I feel like if I could accomplish that without alcohol it wouldn't be a problem at all. So I more less just would like to hear some advice, meds (never have been big on medication regardless of what it is), ways to go about this so that I don't suffer from DT's. The biggest fear that I have from quitting drinking is the fact that I can die from it. So any help at all would be much appreciated and im truly thankful and open to here and suggestions. Thanks to anyone who reads this or decides to give a response. -B
Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Bropes..... just go see your doctor, really. Maybe hit up a free clinic or something similar. Tell them EXACTLY how you drink. They are the ones to ask.

I was drinking a 5th a day..maybe more and never had an issue with DTs. Others have had issues with far less average daily usage. From what I read into the first half of your post (3/4's maybe) you're of the opinion that you're still in control of your drinking. That's good. The key now is: WATCH THE RESULTS.

I "knew" I was still in control of my drinking too.....except.......when I decided to stop.....I never could STAY stopped. - and staying stopped really is the key issue when it comes to stopping yanno - The truth was, I'd decide to stop, change my mind, get loaded again.....then decide to stop again. That's indicative of someone who's NOT in control of their drinking anymore. See, I was an alcoholic and didn't know it. I had lost the ability to choose when to stop or not, how long to stay stopped, and when of if I was going back out. There's help for ppl like me too though.

The main thing for you now is see your Doc....do what you plan to do, and be mindful of whether it's working or not.

good luck to ya.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, please do get medical help in getting thru the withdrawals. It's good you want to quit now while you're still young and before something bad happens to you or to anyone else.

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you will talk to your dr about stopping the alcohol.

And, I also hope you understand that stopping drinking is only the beginning of the journey.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome......

If you have a desire to quit drinking....AA can be great for you.
It matters not when you drink...how you drink or what you drink.
the point is to find a healthier productive future without alcohol.

After your initial de tox period ..about 4 days ...you can address
the sleeping problems that may or may not continue.

All my best as you and your SO move forward together.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Carol I've never had dt's from quiting I've drank way more than my share too, the worst is the hangovers. AA is a great book to start out reading it will clear up some questions you have and attend the meetings with your gf, ask them questions they are there to help. Good luck to both of you!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for the replies. Means a lot to me getting all the positive feedback. I'm going to make a doctors appointment as most of you have suggested and see what the doctor has to say. Thanks again for your support everyone. I'll check back and let you guys know how it goes. -B
Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No need to suffer, bropes. And, truthfully... worrying about DT is probably worse than the actual DT process. But still, if you have a doctor or know of a clinic... go that route for sure.

I went through xanax withdrawl hell on my own for two days before I went to detox. Once I got to detox, it was magic and I have not suffered one bit since the day I checked in.

I wish my DH would stop his nightly beer ritual. He says he does it for sleep. I believe him. He's a good daddy and a good husband. He has been super supportive of me, yet he still thinks drinking 8-12 beers a night is normal. It is normal for his set of friends. I want him to FIND NEW FRIENDS.

Good luck to you!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bropes - glad you're going to see the doctor

D